Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By 760instrumentals Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:45 pm
I ordered an MPC 2000 classic off Ebay it arrived yesterday. So I start it up it boot from the Disk. Everything loads fine the screen has a line but i can see everything. Than i tried to record from my laptops headphone out with one of those rca to headphone jack y cables, I used two phono or rca to 1/4 adapters into the MPC. When im monitoring and i play a sound on my laptop its sounds super distorted and you can distinguish between sounds they sound like super low bit like fuzz.. Or sometimes you can hear the sound but its super low volume and when i record it and go to chop the sample I cant see the waveform?? I dont know if it's the wires or the ram because it sounds glitchy? Also I dont have any floppies but I dont think that matters because it records into ram right?
By 760instrumentals Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:09 pm
Im using the one with 2 lines.. Im going to try that thanks man.. Isn't 2 line stereo and 1 line mono? The guy I ordered it from said to try different cables he said they tested it and it sampled, recorded sequence, saved to disk and reloaded ti and it worked. how do I play the metronome, so i can make sure its not the MPC outs?
By SimonInAustralia Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:20 pm
2 lines is unbalanced stereo, or balanced mono.

You are sending an unbalanced mono signal into each of the MPC inputs, with the 1/8" to 2 RCA Y-cable that you are using, not a stereo signal.

The inputs of the MPC are balanced mono, the RCA-TRS 1/4" adapters (with the 2 black lines/bands) are causing phase cancellation problems due to sending exactly the same signal to the +/hot and -/cold sides of the balanced mono inputs.

You need the other adapters, RCA-TS 1/4" (1 black line/band), or when inserting the ones you have into the MPC 1/4" inputs, only insert them half way, until you feel the first 'click'.