Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Feuille Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:52 am
Hi !
A while ago, I bought an Akai S2000 sampler that came with an external SCSI hard drive like so :

I tried to plug it in my 2KXL but the connector is weirdly not the same size ! My question is : what type of cable should I order to get this thing to work?
That's a little off topic but when I pluged it back in the S2000 it didn't recognize it anymore :( any thoughts?

Thanks a lot y'all
By LADiego Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:32 pm
In looking at the picture of the drive, I believe that is a 68pin scsi port. This is SCSI 3.

To successfully connect this drive to your mpc2000xl, you will need a 68pin (drive end) to HD50 (mpc2000xl end) scsi cable. Male on both ends.

Now whether this drive will be recognized and/or work with the mpc2000xl is another matter.

- is the drive compatible with the mpc2000xl?

- is it recognized, and if yes, on what scsi id? Could be on any id except #6.

- what is the capacity (memory size) of hard drive?

Peace.
By Clint Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:44 pm
Is that photo the exact same scsi hard drive you have got? It looks like a random photo found online. Post photos of your actual stuff and connectors.
By Feuille Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:47 pm
Well, I just took it apart and there where absolutely no information. Here are some pics tho :

I tried to tweak the jumper setting to make it work again on the S2000 but no success.
Last edited by Feuille on Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SimonInAustralia Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:33 pm
Is that the only external SCSI device you are using?

Do you have a SCSI terminator plug to attach to the second SCSI port on the external SCSI drive case?
By Feuille Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:37 pm
Nope, this is the only SCSI thingy I own. In fact I'm wondering if I could turn it into a SD card reader.
And I've been looking around on how to plug it to my computer but it seems quite expensive. So I can test it only with the S2000.
By SimonInAustralia Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:51 pm
A SCSI chain/bus needs to be terminated at both ends.

Your SCSI drive seems to not have the internal SCSI terminator resistor packs plugged into it, but it is a little hard to tell for sure in your photo? Are there empty connector holes on the two single row black strips on the hard drive PCB, right next to where the SCSI ribbon cable connects to the hard drive?

If those internal SCSI terminator resistor packs are not present, then you need some sort of external SCSI terminator connected to the external SCSI ports on the hard drive case.
By Feuille Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:06 pm
I didn't understand all of what you said but of what I saw, everything seemed to be hooked up and it used to work. Like I said, yesterday, I sampled something on my S2000 and saved it to this drive. Then, I unplugged it to see if I could use it with my 2000Xl. Then I plugged it back into the S2000 which no longer recognize it. When I press load from HDISK on the S, a red light on the hard drive shines for like a few ms and that's it.
By Feuille Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:35 pm
That's the thing, i'm not sure about it... The two samplers are across my room so it's a bit tricky. Aaah what a fool u_u
By mr_debauch Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:11 pm
well I would check to find out if the fuse is blown in the s2000 or what ever machine you unplugged it from (potentially with the machine powered on) because that can and often will cause issues... scsi isn't like USB where you can just rip out the cable.
By LADiego Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:57 am
To check sampler scsi fuse, you could connect a different scsi drive that is confirmed as "working" such as a scsi zip drive and see if sampler recognizes it.

If drive is recognized, then fuse is fine and drive is not.

If "working" drive is not recognized, then fuse is blown.

One other thing I can think of is the lack of "active" termination (different from "passive" termination). I wonder if the S2000 active termination is blown and the hard drive is not recognized because it lacks active termination. This is a common problem when the "host" (sampler) does not provide active term to the scsi bus so it is up to a "peripheral" (scsi device) to provide it. Bottom line, there must be active termination on the scsi bus. For example, I once had a Spyrus MCDISK1 connected to an MPC2000 and the card reader was not working so I daisy-chained a scsi zip drive in the setup and everything was recognized and working properly. A scsi zip drive has active termination and was able to provide it to the scsi bus. And although the MPC2000 was working fine I learned the sampler had a blown active term and I never knew it. To this day the MPC2000 does not provide active term (never had it fixed) and it still works fine as long as I have a scsi drive that supplies active term to the scsi bus.

Perhaps this is the problem that needs to be investigated.

Peace.