Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By mr_debauch Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:46 am
yeah.. you just would need to mod the ribbon cable to get it installed but for sure... you should check if your local pawn shops have a website or maybe kijiji and that because you find them for like 80 to 120 or so dollars and it is a hard disk recorder with 6 analog inputs and it has fiber optic in as well... so it's cool for the price.
By distortedtekno Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:17 pm
As I'm waiting fro my display to be shipped, I ended up getting the following email instead....

Hello!

Just wanted to drop you a line. First thank you very much for ordering the MPC2000/2000XL LCD screen.

Couple things in regards to your order. Since you were one of the first ones to place an order for the MPC2000 screen, we are giving you the chance at the first ones that ship out. Before we ship you one of the first batch we want to make sure you plan to install this ASAP. We would like to only send the first batch to people that plan to install right away so we can get some feedback.

You are one of the lucky ones to get one first. These screens have been extensively tested in many different units and environments. That being said we are pretty confident that these screens will work flawlessly in your unit like it did in our test units. However, the MPCs can be really finicky with the LCD screens; there is a very small chance that you may see something that is a bit strange. This is what we need beta testers for. If this happens we would really like your feedback as soon as possible. The firmware is reprogrammable (by our equipment only) so if you see anything off please let us know and we can work together a fix and reprogram your screen for you (shipping would be covered by you, if you choose the beta test program)

Most importantly. Since these are still in late beta testing we would rather not ship them out without your verification that you want to get one of the first of the screens. If you find issues that we have found fixes for we have no problem reprograming your screen for free, but you would have to cover the shipping cost to ship it to us and for return shipping back to you. If you don't want to have to do this then by all means you can wait, and we will send you a screen after the first batch goes out to the beta testing users.

A few things you may notice that are normal (these are not a problem but different than you may be used to, these will be present in the beta and non-beta versions)

When you startup the unit for the first time in a bit (cold) it may get some small blocks before the main screen turns on. Its not a big deal and is normal due to the short wave of current going through the power supply.

You may also note that the refresh rate is very fast so it will seem to scroll though letters faster than you can see, this is also normal and caused no issues in our testing.

You may also get an odd thing with contrast. This can be fixed by just adjusting the contrast of the screen (Shift+Jog Wheel)

The MPC may start with an all solid screen. This can be fixed by just adjusting the contrast of the screen (Shift+Jog Wheel)

Please respond to this email with YES (want beta version) or NO (want to wait until normal version is finished) - If YES we will ship the order ASAP, if NO we will ship the order when final is available. Please make sure you read EVERYTHING above.

Please also have the following info

Full Name (from order)
Order # (6 digits starting with 24 )
Type of MPC ordered for
Please let us know if you need anything else or if we can be of any help to you.

Best Regards,

Mike
MPCstuff.com
CustomMPC.com
Instrumentalparts.com

For specials and updates:
Like us on Facebook : facebook.com/mpcstuff
Add us on Twitter : twitter.com/mpcstuff
Add us on Instagram : ​https://instagram.com/mpcstuff

I really feel this contradicts what's advertised on the site...

Finally, MPCstuff has done it! After 2 long years of constant work, we have successfully remade the Akai MPC2000 / MPC2000XL LCD Screens. These screens utilize Super-twisted nematic display technology for a nice crisp and bright display. Unlike the original design these are made to last. Our design does not have any update speed issues or glitched out display when working as previous models did. They work smooth and seamless.

These screens will fit in the MPC2000 or MPC2000XL. However, to make our screens work perfectly in both units, each unit uses its own firmware. So if you have an MPC2000 you will need one for the MPC2000 and if you have an MPC2000XL you need to order for the MPC2000XL.

These screens can also be inverted by using a jumper pin. This inverted mode will make the background white with blue letters, see INVERTED picture. The jumper pins are not included, if you have any questions please email us at [email protected]

We do recomend that you have the newest OS systems for your unit for optimal operation. For the MPC2000XL that is 1.14 or 1.20 (MCD Drive) and for the MPC2000 its the 1.72 version. If you have any questions about this please email us and we can help. Generally most units already have this installed.

There's no way in hell that I'm gonna pay for shipping back to mpcstuff and again pay to have it shipped back if there's a problem. That would be 3x the shipping rate if something is wrong with it, plus the time that I'd have to spend going back and forth to the post office. I really don't have time for that, let alone having to pay to beta test a product that was advertised to be fully tested and working. At this point, I'm not even sure if I wanna wait even longer to have it beta tested and shipped. I really expected to have a fully working product delivered to my doorstep in a reasonable amount of time, especially given the fact that others have received theirs. I hate to throw Mike under a bus. But the customer should be notified about this issue PRIOR to placing the order.
By mpcstuff.com Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:53 pm
I understand the frustration. But please hear us out. Our site stated PRE-order. For the people that placed a pre-order for the screens they are still preorder. We are only giving chance to people that want one right now rather than waiting a couple weeks to get a sooner preorder. I have a strong feeling there will be no updates needed as our testing has been extensive.

There would be no issue here if we just shipped out the products without stating beta. We could have done that but we would rather get more out in the field and be totally up front about it. Rather than insist our testing is 100% perfect and no way it could be flawed.

As stated in my email we are quite confident in our testing. We are a VERY small company. We do not want to ship every screen out, then find that there is something small that needs to change. This would cost more time and money for us and the customer. This project has taken forever as it is and we have spent a lot more time and money on it than we wanted to, but we wanted to follow through with it.

In summary:
-The screens are done.
-The screens have been tested in full. With our testers in-house and a more than a handful of external testers that we sent other betas units to.
-We are offering early shipment to anyone that is willing to understand that these editions are considered beta and there could be a chance it could need an update.
-No one is forced into BETA. The choice is yours.
-It is the FIRMWARE that is beta not the hardware

We have tried out best to help everyone by finishing this project. I really hope you can understand our reasoning for a slow release.
Last edited by mpcstuff.com on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By mpcstuff.com Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:55 pm
distortedtekno wrote:As I'm waiting fro my display to be shipped, I ended up getting the following email instead....

There's no way in hell that I'm gonna pay for shipping back to mpcstuff and again pay to have it shipped back if there's a problem. That would be 3x the shipping rate if something is wrong with it, plus the time that I'd have to spend going back and forth to the post office. I really don't have time for that, let alone having to pay to beta test a product that was advertised to be fully tested and working. At this point, I'm not even sure if I wanna wait even longer to have it beta tested and shipped. I really expected to have a fully working product delivered to my doorstep in a reasonable amount of time, especially given the fact that others have received theirs. I hate to throw Mike under a bus. But the customer should be notified about this issue PRIOR to placing the order.

I am really sorry! You are by no means forced into Beta. If you wait for us to give it final approval (rather than Beta) you will get the LCD in a very reasonable amount of time. We have been working on it for years, I hope you can understand.
By distortedtekno Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:25 pm
Sorry to put you on blast. I had a stressful day and was taken by surprise. However, I understand the amount of time and money you invested to get to this point. As I mentioned in my email, I'm fine with waiting a bit longer. I just couldn't see myself having to go through the trouble of installing, uninstalling, running back and forth to the post office and paying more than I already have. If I knew all of this in advance and was offered some incentive to beta test the display, I would've been more inclined to help. When everything's said and done, I'm sure it'll be worth it for everyone. :)
By LADiego Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:20 am
I have beta-tested many products in the past as companies (large and small) have sent their products for free shipping included. My end was to test the heck out of the product and provide detailed feedback on my observations. And then at the end of the test period I was allowed to keep the item.

If this is not the case with these lcd screens, then I will wait on the sidelines for this one. I would like to hear nothing but stellar reviews before sinking any money into it.

Distortedtekno, thank you for sharing those e-mails. AS you said, "When everything's said and done, I'm sure it'll be worth it for everyone."

Peace
By mpcstuff.com Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:24 am
Thanks for the support! None of this will go unnoticed. When it comes to the shipping cost, to be honest it was more for the overseas clients. I gave everyone the chance to go beta, but one shipment back in forth overseas and we lose the complete cost of the screen.

As most of you know we are very reasonable when it comes to issues that come up. I answer every email from [email protected] personally.

I am working on coming up with something cool to reward everyone for their help. Maybe some type of swag or discount codes. I will keep you updated.

I am really hoping that BETA is FINAL and we wont have to worry about it.

-Mike
By distortedtekno Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:01 am
mpcstuff.com wrote:Thanks for the support! None of this will go unnoticed. When it comes to the shipping cost, to be honest it was more for the overseas clients. I gave everyone the chance to go beta, but one shipment back in forth overseas and we lose the complete cost of the screen.

As most of you know we are very reasonable when it comes to issues that come up. I answer every email from [email protected] personally.

I am working on coming up with something cool to reward everyone for their help. Maybe some type of swag or discount codes. I will keep you updated.

I am really hoping that BETA is FINAL and we wont have to worry about it.

-Mike

Send me an email if you want to work something out, and I'll be more than willing to beta test the display very thoroughly.
By mpcstuff.com Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:23 pm
UPDATE: We have heard from about 10 BETA users for 2000XL, all say they are operating with no issue. I would rather wait a bit longer to make sure there isn't something they have not found. But it should be very soon.

MPC2000 BETA is going this week, so we should know more about that very soon also.
By v00d00ppl Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:25 pm
That's good to hear. If you need any assistance in organizing the regression testing PM and we can build a google doc spreadsheet. I work in software quality professionally and can help spot check any flaws in the user experience of the screen. Cheers.
By MrDismal Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:33 am
v00d00ppl wrote:That's good to hear. If you need any assistance in organizing the regression testing PM and we can build a google doc spreadsheet. I work in software quality professionally and can help spot check any flaws in the user experience of the screen. Cheers.

Nice, I work in Software QA too!