Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Bara Coi Lupi Sun May 14, 2017 12:57 pm
Hi Guys!
I sold my MPC 2000 classic and i'm waiting for the XL version.
So while the XL is coming to me i'd like to ask you some theory about making Jungle/Breaks/House beats on the MPC.

i heard this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUFE6_6PB1M
and saw this video with an mpc 60 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsJF3pEV_tE

The guy in the video makes the workflow very easy and i can't wait to put my hands on the mpc i'm waiting for to try but i don't understand the theory behind.
I mean: i previously used my 2000 classic only for programming external synths and i am no good about timing (8th note?) , chopping (cutting sample on mpc 2000 was really hard, i'm sure i made it wrong), (what is the loop function of a sample? I mean: if i play it everytime i want while i'm recording isn't better?), and so on.
So as if you can see i'm a bit confused about all the sampling, chopping and relative workflow.
I want to ask you if you can clearly help me by learning one time for all how that works.
I'd really like to learn to make breaks like those
By Wal Martian Mon May 15, 2017 6:35 pm
Bara Coi Lupi wrote:...(what is the loop function of a sample? I mean: if i play it everytime i want while i'm recording isn't better?),..

Loop function makes it so when you hold down the pad it keeps looping the sound until you let go. This can be ok for long looped samples, but usually I would just program in the loop as a one shot. It can be used to make tones such as basslines out of just about any waveform such as a snare or hi hat.
By Lampdog Tue May 23, 2017 7:08 pm
It's not hard at all. The loop size is 1-10 samples long usually. Really fast loop, it sounds like a saw, triangle, sine wave. That is what Wal means.
A tactic that has been used forever and 15 days with producers. ESPECIALLY back in the day when memory in samplers was sparse to begin with.
By tapedeck Tue May 23, 2017 8:20 pm
if ya really want to get scientific with it, the inverse of the length of the loop divided by the sample rate would be the base frequency for whatever 'tone' you are generating.
1 / (looplen / samplerate) = frequency
so a loop length of 100 samples: 1 / (100 / 44100) = 441 which is close to an A4 note.

all of that is unrelated to what you ask.

take your sample and isolate sections of it using the trim or chop functions. then assign those chops / sections to pads. now you have a bank of pads with drum phrases you can rearrange into a jungle type beat.