Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By subotai Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:05 am
Hey there this is my first post on MPC Forums and I've got a problem that I need help with. :oops:

I'm using a MPC2000, Technic 1200 turntable, and Numark dj mixing board.

I'm 19 btw and have been using the MPC2000 for only 3 months so please bare with me. Any help or advise will be appreciated.

My set up has this deal that if I accidently keep my MPC in the recording (shift 4) setting and slide my mixer from the turntable record in (channel 2) to the MPC playing out (channel 1) it makes an extremely loud hissing sound. Basically I keep my MPC in the record setting and slide my mixer channel to play back something from my MPC.....so I'm recording and trying to play something back at the same time. I know this is terrible for my equipment but I keep accidentally doing this....is scares the living hell out of me...and it's really hard for me to break this habit.

After this hiccup I was able to start up a great session making some beats then all of a sudden the samples I had loaded on the MPC started playing back with a ton of hiss and buzz behind them.
This instantly freaked me out. I checked all my volume levels and connections. Everything checked out. So I decided to turn off the MPC (loosing the samples I had been chopping for an hour) :?

So after this I turned the MPC back on and tried to record another sample. Upon palying back that sample the same hiss and buzz played over that sample. :|
Even looking at the sample on the (shift 5 page I think it is) it looks completely corrupted and the wav pattern is all over the place.
I can upload pictures of anything if needed for anyone to help me with this problem.

I've tried quite a few things to fix this problem but nothing seems to work. I've changed out the RCA cables, turned everything off, and readjusted my volumes.
I'm 100% positive that the problem is with my MPC. Almost like I've fried something in the MPC. I've also tried to play a sample out of my MPC into my laptop and the sample still has that corrupted hissing and crackling sound.

If i can't get this problem fixed soon....it's not gunna be a very Merry Christmas for me honestly. My last day of college is tomorrow and I was really antisipating 2 weeks without classes, being able to push out a lot of beats before my next semester. So with all this being said ide love for someone to point me in the right direction to get this fixed or at least an idea on what I need to pay to get repaired.

I'm trying to stay optimistic :nod:
By Lampdog Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:28 am
Things that I have done when I’ve had this problem before.

No particular order.

Turn off, open mpc, disconnect ram. Turn on mpc for 1min, turn it off. Reconnect ram and turn on mpc.

Open the **** up samples on computer in a wave editor, re-save as 44khz/16bit wav files, load the resaved sample in mpc.
By subotai Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:37 am
Hey thanks for the advise and quick response.
I'll be sure to try the RAM track tomorrow and get back to you.

I don't load samples on to the MPC using a computer only records so I won't be able to do the second thing.
By tapedeck Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:48 pm
yea sounds like ram.
also, what your experiencing is called a feedback loop. stop that shit! you should be able to hook it up in such a way that this doesnt happen. if you describe yer setup in more detail maybe we can help with that (what exact mixer is it, and where does the audio go from there?).
By subotai Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:54 pm
Hey thanks so much for everyone for giving me advise on how to fix this issue.

I woke up this morning, hopped on the MPC and thank God everything was working fine. No more corrupted samples or anything like that. Crystal clear!! :nod:

And I will be sure to stop the feedback looping that I had been doing. Thanks for addressing that issue.

My mixer is a Numark DM1200 And it is going out into an AB 900 amp that is connected to these big ass Peavey SP 3G speakers. I don't understand the connection completely but It works.....but like you guys have said, there's probably a better way in doing it.

I don't think I can connect my MPC out signal straight into these speakers like most people would do with studio monitors.

Thanks again for the help..... 8)
By tapedeck Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:04 pm
good news for you...
connect the 'send' output of yer mixer to yer mpc record ins.
now, whenever you want to sample something, just hit the 'send' button on that channel (dont ever do that on the mpc channel or youll get feedback again).

you shouldn't have any feedback if you can do that, and you can run both the mpc and turntables hooked up to the same mixer.

good man providing the details...looks like a pretty dope little mixer :mrgreen:
By tapedeck Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 pm
Wal Martian wrote:
subotai wrote: an AB 900 amp that is connected to these big ass Peavey SP 3G speakers.

Just send 1/4" cables from the MPC L and R output to the amp. There's no real reason to send the MPC output signal back into the DJ mixer.

aw come on man, sure there is.

could use them both at the same time and cut over mpc beats - i do not recommend plugging the mpc directly to the amp since you have a nice mixer that will support other ways of working.

yea its an option but i'd say use the mixer as intended for now.
By subotai Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:32 am
I think I'm gunna keep it as is. I like using the mixer to control volumes and sometimes play drum samples over a record to get an idea of how I wanna chop it.

Everything is fine in my eyes and ears. As long as I can stop accidentally making it feedback loop, I'm golden. :o
By subotai Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:22 am
After further inspection and experimentation....it seems that I can get about an hour of clean samples onto the MPC then all of a sudden they become corrupted and sound all jittery and crackeled. This really does seem like it would be a RAM problem...like everyone has been saying. It's only like 10$ to replace the RAM but maybe taking the RAM out and then putting it back in after a while will keep this from happening again.
By tapedeck Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:49 am
subotai wrote:After further inspection and experimentation....it seems that I can get about an hour of clean samples onto the MPC then all of a sudden they become corrupted and sound all jittery and crackeled. This really does seem like it would be a RAM problem...like everyone has been saying. It's only like 10$ to replace the RAM but maybe taking the RAM out and then putting it back in after a while will keep this from happening again.

thats a pretty good diagnosis right there and that might work. some people say to rub the contacts on the ram with a pencil eraser to clean them.

i would still set your send out to the mpc record in - then you dont have to worry about juggling feedback. my mixer has a similar feature (except it uses the mute button which is even better) and it really works out well for me.