Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By frankdambra Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:01 am
When I first got my mpc 2000 I thought it would be capable of doing something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ork0l2GRODQ

But its not, so I have to record my synths to tape or daw and then record/chop them on the mpc as samples which takes a long time.

I was wondering if the xl had the capability of being able to record the audio output of a midi track directly into a new track (like in the video) , without having to use an external recording device. If so, Id like to upgrade to the xl.

By Lampdog Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:19 am
midi is not audio. midi is performance data. mpc can record midi data on travcks, yes, that's what it does.

mpc can record midi just fine. play that midi back just fine.

each gear has it's own audio going to a mixer, that mixer goes to monitors for listening.

midi and audio have 2 different routes. Not the same cables, not mixed with each other. 2 separate routes.
By Lampdog Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:28 am
I read that wrong.

Resampling is a different function on the 2kxl.

But no, you cannot record your main outs.

No, the mpc is not a dedicated audio recorder like you are thinking.

2k/2kxl works with 32mb ram max, not ideal for time-based recording.

You can chop samples inside the mpc that fit within 32mb.
By frankdambra Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:34 am
Dang.

So what does "re-sampling" mean in respect to the 2kxl?

Im not trying to record my main outs, im trying to simply record via the mpc record in, into a new track while in sequence mode ( as shown in the the video ).

Isnt this the definition of re-sampling? Maybe im just very confused.
By Lampdog Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:53 am
2k/2kxl sample ins are ONLY active in sample mode. Nope, can't do it.

Resample in the 2k/2kxl manual is different than what you are thinking.

Some people use the word resample as you do, others use it as the manual explains the resample function in the machine.

But what you are meaning, nope.
By U3 Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Yeh like Lampdog said, you cant do that on the 2000/XL.
What you need, is one of the newer MPC's. The 5000 can definately do that, i think the 2500 can too. Plus those machines hold bigger ram so its going to suit your needs more if you want to be recording your midi machine's (synths etc) audio output into it. Im using an EMU sampler just for that purpose, but im VERRY tempted of replacing it with the 5000 tho.All-in-One music box... Then you can also realtime process ur drums out of the mpc, into hardware effects etc and then back into the mpc in one go.. (thats another term for re-sampling) Thing is, i love my 2000XL data wheel so much and am scared of the 5000's wheel :<

Workflow is important.
Goodluk with it.
U3
By WatchYoNuggets Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:52 am
frankdambra wrote:Dang.

Im not trying to record my main outs, im trying to simply record via the mpc record in, into a new track while in sequence mode ( as shown in the the video ).

resampling in respect to the 2000xl means to add a 8/12 Bit effect to the sample to give it that dirty low sampled sound of the s950/e-mu sp1200 or 8 bit samplers.
But it takes hell of a time and don't work too good.

resampling in general means that the sampler you use can record his own outputs.

recording via the record ins is something called sampling :lol:

You can't directly record to a track on the 2000xl. But do you really need to do that?
Simply sample your stuff make a pgm and record onto the sequencer.
By roxstar Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:42 pm
Just buy yourself any external sampler to add to the MPC2000/XL. I think this is the best addition you can ever make because now you free to do whatever you want. I've been doing this same trick on the XL for years. Have the MPC playing while recording what you want into the other sampler. The only thing is that you have to manually transfer/place the sample, but I rather do this than using up the memory in my 2500. The thing I don't like about audio tracks is that the same is the sample length as the bars in the track. Got an 16 bar sequence, then the sample will be the same length. But what if your only recording 3 seconds worth of audio? It's still 16 bars. Why? Because the sample is always placed at the beginning of the track, this way, it will always play on time. There's no way to start an audio track exactly where you need it, like a punch-in. So, even with 32 megs, if you have an external sampler, you can take more advantage of the memory than someone that's relying on the audio track feature.
The MPC2000XL can re-sample, but only internal sounds, and I have to add, it's VERY slow. It's so slow, it really makes the function useless, which is why no one talks about it. The results are good, but you can get the same results with an external sampler also if your creative.
Trust me on this, buy yourself an SP-303 and you will have a lot more functions than you see on the box.
By frankdambra Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:26 pm
roxstar wrote:The only thing is that you have to manually transfer/place the sample, but I rather do this than using up the memory in my 2500.

What do you mean by manually transfer/place the sample? Can you even chop sounds on the sp?
By roxstar Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:24 pm
You can chop on the SP, but you don't need to if you have the MPC. What I'm saying is that if you want to do the same thing as an audio track, simply have another sampler recording while you play the beat. Now, if you want to (lets say record a guitar player) have them record directly into the external sampler while you play the beat on the MPC. Now, you have to manually transfer the sample into the MPC so you can chop or simply place it into the sequence. You could leave the sample in the external sample and trigger it, but personal I like everything self contained in the MPC. I don't like turning on a bunch of gear just to play a beat later.
I mentioned the SP-303/404 because they are cheap, have great effects (I like em) and their simple to use. You can bend samples as much as you like and it doesn't require a manual to use.
By Tapuno Fri May 22, 2009 8:47 am
So if i used a rackmount sequencer/sampler in place of the mfc, and recorded my guitar into that, could it work?
Byanon_59393a948 Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:07 am
WatchYoNuggets wrote:
frankdambra wrote:Dang.

resampling in respect to the 2000xl means to add a 8/12 Bit effect to the sample to give it that dirty low sampled sound of the s950/e-mu sp1200 or 8 bit samplers.
But it takes hell of a time and don't work too good.

resampling in general means that the sampler you use can record his own outputs.

recording via the record ins is something called sampling :lol:

You can't directly record to a track on the 2000xl. But do you really need to do that?
Simply sample your stuff make a pgm and record onto the sequencer.

so as u said the 2000xl is capable of resampling to 12 bit. is the 2000 classic also capable of this? just been wondering thanks dude
By tapedeck Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:48 pm
they probably both are capable but don't waste your time. it's not going to give you any sort of specific sound like an actual low-bit sampler (mpc 60, ensoniq eps, sp1200, etc), and it takes an EXTREMELY long time. i'm talking like 5 minutes to resample a 4-second sound.

you really should be looking at an older sampler if this classic sound is what you are after.

its not all about the numbers...just because its 12-bit doesnt mean it has 'that' sound. 'that' sound is a combination of sampling rate, bit depth, analog->digital converters, preamps, source material speed, internal resampling algorithms, and working methods.
By Harmoncj Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:12 pm
we have got to stop responding to Raudy. this is such obvious trolling. you can't just flood a forum with question that are so basic... and this time actually irrelevant to the original topic(which is 10yo at this point) what ever happened to LMGTFY and RTFM?
By Wal Martian Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:39 pm
roxstar wrote: You could leave the sample in the external sample and trigger it, but personal I like everything self contained in the MPC. I don't like turning on a bunch of gear just to play a beat later.

I'm the opposite, I leave everything where it is, no wasted time resampling. Keep the workflow going until have a song that I think is worth saving, then track it in to my PC. To play it later load it up in my DAW.