Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By jul_313 Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:33 am
Hi

I'm new on this forum. I just bought an MPC 2000XL MCD on Ebay that is working great but i just bought a 2GB Sandisk card and i format it with a pc with a FAT32 format. When i tried to put the sd card in the slot, nothing happens...
I have the 1.20 OS installed for sure. When i put the card in the slot i just have a 2 seconds green flash on the the card reader and nothing. When i switched to the floppy in the Save screen, i have a "No floppy" message.

Could you please help to figure out what's going on!

Thanks to all for your help on that :)

I know i should not be the first one to post this kind of message but i could not find an complete answer to my question...

Jul_313
By Lampdog Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:13 am
jul_313 wrote:All right. But why do they provide sd card reader on the MPC 2000xl MCD if it's not working at all ?
Just to better understand?

The mcd's are designed for computer use. Computers can use everything and anything.

But like S4S said, the mpc has it's own way of thinking. It can only use part of the mcd "that was designed"
for computer usage.

Get used to it and live with it.
By Mekishiko Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:29 pm
If it is a Legitimate MPC2000XL MCD from AKAI then I also wonder why they included the SD slot on there, because if the MPC is unable to read the SD media, then it in fact would be useless to have at all on there. (because you could not transfer data from PC to the MPC)

Unless AKAI was just too lazy to fabricate their own face plate that limited the physical access to only the CompactFlash slot. Which very well may be the case, I guess they could have done this because maybe the MCD was an attempt to sell the last bit of MPS2000XL hardware with low overhead, so they just purchased the drives and then installed them with no customization.

Even if so, that is pretty Janky.
By Lampdog Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:37 pm
Mekishiko wrote:maybe the MCD was an attempt to sell the last bit of MPS2000XL hardware with low overhead, so they just purchased the drives and then installed them with no customization.

I can see that happening, yep.
By jul_313 Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:22 pm
All right guys. I tried a 128 MB compact flash and i have exactly the same problem... It says "no floppy device" in the LOAD MODE and when i try to format it i have:
Device : Floppy
Type 2DD/2HD

It seems that is still waiting for old disk and no memory card. I'm sure i have the 1.2 OS so it should work?
By jul_313 Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:49 pm
No i don' t have this screen... no "ATAPI". I guess i should install one more time the OS. What is the best way to do it ?
I don' t have any floppy disk slot and my MPC is waiting for a floppy. SO how to install the new OS that i will download on akaipro website (is that the right one?).
By scsiforsamplers.com Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:53 pm
I doubt the problem is the os - to my knowledge, card readers are not dependant on an os version. At least I know the SCSI models are not. Are you sure the actual card reader is installed correctly? Could you have the IDE cable reversed?

Also, you must have a floppy installed to update the os.
By jul_313 Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:01 pm
I'll try to do it but as he recognize a floppy disk i guess he recognize something because if the cable was not plugged right, it would recognize nothing... I check it.
By Lampdog Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:17 pm
atapi mcd has a different data cable and connection on the 2kxl motherboard, different than floppy.
red and black power from floppy power cable can be attached to the red and black power for card reader.

Card read jumper on "master", if it doesn't work try jumper settings on "single no master". Different readers have different jumper settings. Don't be that guy that just tries one, it doesn't work and cry about it, dont be "that guy", lol.

MCD doesn't care what os you have.

SETTING UP THE PRIMARY DEVICE
2kxl, manual pg 153.
By jul_313 Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:28 pm
Hey, thank fr all your advice. I just inverse the IDE cable and it works. SD card and Compact Flash. The only problem i have right now is that the compact flash 128MB works great but the SD 2GB that i formatted with Windows Vista with FAT 32 is not recognized and when i format it with te MPC, i have this error at 0000:D29C.

Can you specify me the step to follow to format my sd card at 2GB on a PC (vista) and to make it works on my MPC.