Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By peterpiper Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:16 pm
Solowbeats wrote:Is this procedure the same for installing the eb16 card in a 2000 classic?

You didn't read two posts before your post, did you?

peace
By mr_debauch Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:12 am
Solowbeats wrote: i'm transplanting the eb16 from my XL to my classic. Love working on those machines.

just curious, why are you taking it from the xl and putting it in the classic (which is technically the lesser of the two machines) ??
By Solowbeats Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:16 am
technically the lesser, sonically superior in my opinion. Plus the fact my XL needs all kinds of repairs at the moment so it isn't in working order. I hunted down a classic to have a spare unit to work on. The more primitive workflow and the 3,5" diskdrive kinda persuaded me. I love to work more simpler then I have done over the years.

After working on the classic I immediately noticed that the unit has a warmer sound and saturates lovely when sampling hot. This makes the classic my main sampler at the moment. My XL will get the repairs it needs, but first I wanted to take this classic I got to the next level. And I know the EB16 is regarded as a fairly useless expansion. I always found it helpful for quick ideas, and used it's filter allot. I used it as an EQ.
By mr_debauch Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:54 am
ah okay.. I suspected the XL had issues... I also tend to prefer the classic over the xl.

The EB16 is has some of the worst quality/sounding effects I have heard.... I use it all the time :lol:
By Solowbeats Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:49 pm
Haha ;) a horrible reverb, but I like to put it real subtle over melodies and snares. I always find a way to use the eb16, mostly real subtle and hardly noticeable. I like to record my stuff straight out the mpc onto tape. No tracking out or whatsoever. That's when I usually turn to my eb16 to spice things up a little.
By mr_debauch Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:48 pm
Solowbeats wrote:Haha ;) a horrible reverb, but I like to put it real subtle over melodies and snares. I always find a way to use the eb16, mostly real subtle and hardly noticeable. I like to record my stuff straight out the mpc onto tape. No tracking out or whatsoever. That's when I usually turn to my eb16 to spice things up a little.

Absolutely! I do the same (including the tape part on occasion)
By Lampdog Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:37 pm
Grab ur camera, take detailed pics of every screw before and after screwed/unscrewed because there are many many screws in the classic. One wrong screw and you could cause a short and nothing will work. Depending on what screw you can damage ur mobo or just simply have to unscrew everything and try again.
By SimonInAustralia Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:18 am
Solowbeats wrote:And I know the EB16 is regarded as a fairly useless expansion. I always found it helpful for quick ideas, and used it's filter allot.

My possible slight OCD is making me want to try to hack a couple of SPDIF digital outputs onto the side of an EB16, to see if I can convert it to a pair of external digital effects sends from the internal MPC mixer, rather than (or as well as) being an internal effects unit.

Probably not much point, just interested in seeing if I can do it.

Lampdog wrote:Grab ur camera, take detailed pics of every screw before and after screwed/unscrewed because there are many many screws in the classic.

I draw a quick/rough diagram of each panel on a piece of paper, along with positions of holes, and tape the screws to the diagram in the positions they come out of.
By Solowbeats Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:07 pm
Just finished fixing my classic. Took less time than I thought it would. Turns out my classic was missing allot of screws. Probably the reason why it took only 15 minutes to slide in the eb16 and install a brand new floppydrive. Working perfectly! One happy mpc-user! ;)
By mr_debauch Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:41 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:
Solowbeats wrote:And I know the EB16 is regarded as a fairly useless expansion. I always found it helpful for quick ideas, and used it's filter allot.

My possible slight OCD is making me want to try to hack a couple of SPDIF digital outputs onto the side of an EB16, to see if I can convert it to a pair of external digital effects sends from the internal MPC mixer, rather than (or as well as) being an internal effects unit.

Probably not much point, just interested in seeing if I can do it.

I think the eb16 is not stereo though O.o
By Lampdog Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:02 pm
Solowbeats wrote:One happy mpc-user! ;)

And that's what it's all about.

MODULATION in the eb16 can be set to ROTARY speakers if you want.
PITCH SHIFT and PITCH+FEEDBACK can set tune, decay per speaker as well.
DELAY/ECHO can be done per speaker (nice side to side bounce with RINGMOD, DISTORTION and 4 band filter, you can get some crazy shit going).

"Press OPEN WINDOW to open the Effect Mixer window.
Effect Mixer
Direct sig: ON
Patch: MOD/ECHO REV
Output: L/R
......................Lev.......... Pan........ Wid.............
Dist/EQ:..........50............MID
Mod/Echo:.......50............MID..........99
Reverb:............40............MID

These are in the manual plus I've done all of this before using only the eb16 in my 2kxl, yep it's stereo.

pg 133 and on, 2kxl manual if anyone is interested.
By mr_debauch Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:05 pm
Lampdog wrote:yep it's stereo.

but it bypasses the panning, no? like... if you want to have your snares and hats going in... you cant pan them individually coming out of the EB... no?
By Lampdog Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:09 pm
The pan inside the eb16 is for the eb16 effects.

If you wanna pan a snare shouldn't that be the regular mpc mixer?
Regular mpc mixer can be set to FOLLOW STEREO or not.

Is 2kxl man pg 134 what your talking about?
139 is the eb16 mixer page.
142 also.