Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By tapedeck Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:22 pm
eb16 bus is stereo and separate from mixer + indiv buses...actually handy to assign the fx to some indiv outs and have them separate.

SimonInAustralia wrote:My possible slight OCD is making me want to try to hack a couple of SPDIF digital outputs onto the side of an EB16, to see if I can convert it to a pair of external digital effects sends from the internal MPC mixer, rather than (or as well as) being an internal effects unit.

Probably not much point, just interested in seeing if I can do it.

:idea: DO IT :mrgreen:
By mr_debauch Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:53 pm
yeah but except for reverb only situations.. i never use the eb as a send effect controlling the wet with the fx send mixer... I turn the direct signal off so it doesn't do odd stuff which happens sometimes. I thought one guy made a thread explaining what happens to stereo samples...
By SimonInAustralia Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:12 pm
mr_debauch wrote:
SimonInAustralia wrote:My possible slight OCD is making me want to try to hack a couple of SPDIF digital outputs onto the side of an EB16, to see if I can convert it to a pair of external digital effects sends from the internal MPC mixer, rather than (or as well as) being an internal effects unit.

I think the eb16 is not stereo though O.o

I have not looked closely into exactly how it is routed, but going from the FX send mixer screen, I thought that the signal routing of the EB16 in the MPC allowed 4 separate effects sends from the MPC mixer (M1/M2/R1/R2) to be used at the same time.

The output from the EB16 back into the MPC mixer might be a single stereo signal, or something else, I am not sure, but doesn't it treat the input to the EB16 as 4 separate sends from the MPC mixer?

My initial thoughts were to mount a TC Electronic M3000 reverb and a TC Electronic FireWorx effects on a set of MPC2000XL rack ears, then re-route the R1/R2 sends from the input of the EB16 to a rear panel SPDIF connector that connects to the M3000, and the M1/M2 sends from the input of the EB16 to a rear panel SPDIF connector that connects to the Fireworx.

The M3000 and the Fireworx can be routed internally to process the left and right sides of the SPDIF inputs as separate mono signals, rather than a single stereo signal.
By Solowbeats Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:29 pm
Whatever stereo sound you feed into the EB16 will be processed mono. Sure you can create stereo effects with modulation, but as far as I know any signal fed into the eb16 turns into a mono sound.
By SimonInAustralia Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:02 am
Solowbeats wrote:Whatever stereo sound you feed into the EB16 will be processed mono. Sure you can create stereo effects with modulation, but as far as I know any signal fed into the eb16 turns into a mono sound.

I assume that means that thereare separate/simultaneous mono effects sends into the EB16 from the MPC Mixer (M1, M2, R1, R2), which I would want to re-route externally through a pair of SPDIF connectors.

If I then wanted to get the outputs from the 2 external effects units back into the MPC mixer, I might have to combine/mix them externally into a single stereo signal, before feeding back into the MPC to through another external SPDIF connector.
Last edited by SimonInAustralia on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Lampdog Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:34 am
Solowbeats wrote:Whatever stereo sound you feed into the EB16 will be processed mono. Sure you can create stereo effects with modulation, but as far as I know any signal fed into the eb16 turns into a mono sound.

I don't believe you.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:12 am
Lampdog wrote:

I don't believe you.

I think he is right... it's screwed up. It isn't noticeable on most things and on the reverb it doesn't really matter... but I believe it merges the signals... you can pan it from one of the EB menus...

also, I think while there is 4 sends (mf1, mf2, rv1, rv2).. the routing to send the eb16 out to individual outputs I somehow think when you choose let's say output 5/6 .. I think it does it for all the 4 effects. I could be wrong, but I believe it does that.
By tapedeck Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:26 am
mr_debauch wrote:
Lampdog wrote:

I don't believe you.

I think he is right... it's screwed up. It isn't noticeable on most things and on the reverb it doesn't really matter... but I believe it merges the signals... you can pan it from one of the EB menus...

also, I think while there is 4 sends (mf1, mf2, rv1, rv2).. the routing to send the eb16 out to individual outputs I somehow think when you choose let's say output 5/6 .. I think it does it for all the 4 effects. I could be wrong, but I believe it does that.

he is right - it sums left and right to mono on sending to fx bus.
and yes the output for fx is global across all buses.
i'm unclear as to how the fx tie to programs - very strange implementation but fun to mess with (pitch shift + feedback is killer). :mrgreen:
By SimonInAustralia Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:28 am
mr_debauch wrote:also, I think while there is 4 sends (mf1, mf2, rv1, rv2).. the routing to send the eb16 out to individual outputs I somehow think when you choose let's say output 5/6 .. I think it does it for all the 4 effects. I could be wrong, but I believe it does that.

That is mentioned in the effects section of the S3000XL manual, which goes into a little more detail about the EB16...
SELECTING THE EFFECTS OUTPUT
You may, if you wish, route the effects to appear at a pair of the individual outputs. This allows you to balance the relative levels of the ‘straight’ signal and the effects signal on an external mixing console. This would also allow you to maybe EQ the effects signal or whatever. This is set in the I/O page in the section and you may select L+R, 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 as you wish. You will note, however, that the outputs selected here carries a mix of all four effects channels’ outputs and it is not possible to route individual effects channels to different outputs.

I didn't see anything mentioned about that in the effects section of the MPC2000XL manual, and was wondering if it was the same.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:31 am
ah, yeah I thought I remember trying to do that and it not working... too bad. that would have made the 8 outs and eb16 more compatible.

Also, it would be cool if you could install 2 eb16 cards... that would have been awesome.
By Lampdog Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:37 am
I just put a stereo sample through eb16 -> main outs -> ufx. It was a thx sample that sweeps/runs heavy w/ wide pan swings. The sample remained stereo when listening outboard on the ufx. I went out the mains out as I dont have the 8 outs.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:45 am
Lampdog wrote:I just put a stereo sample through eb16 -> main outs -> ufx. It was a thx sample that sweeps/runs heavy w/ wide pan swings. The sample remained stereo when listening outboard on the ufx. I went out the mains out as I dont have the 8 outs.

yeah but in the right most section/category of the eb16 (the main section)... in that window you can turn the direct signal to off... try doing that.
By Lampdog Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:52 am
tapedeck wrote:and yes the output for fx is global across all buses.

Yep.

2kxl manual pg 138 wrote:Drum: For selection of the 4 drum programs that can be used simultaneously on the
MPC2000XL. Setting the effects assigned to the selected drum program is
done here.
Note: Each drum program can have its own effect setting, but only one effect
setting can be used.
Pgm: For display of the program assigned to the drum selected in the Drum: field.
The program can be changed here.
Edit: Selects the effect to be edited.

mr_debauch wrote:
Lampdog wrote:I just put a stereo sample through eb16 -> main outs -> ufx. It was a thx sample that sweeps/runs heavy w/ wide pan swings. The sample remained stereo when listening outboard on the ufx. I went out the mains out as I dont have the 8 outs.

yeah but in the right most section/category of the eb16 (the main section)... in that window you can turn the direct signal to off... try doing that.

And what are you wanting me to show myself. I've done that many times. I get a stereo sample when listening on my ufx whether eb16 MIX is on or off.

I intentionally loaded a hard sweep panning stereo sample into my 2kxl to see if I ultimately get that same audio outside of the eb16 when listening through the ufx.
By Lampdog Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:06 am
tapedeck wrote:i'm unclear as to how the fx tie to programs

DRUM 1 -> INPUT: M1 or INPUT: M2 or INPUT: R1 or INPUT: R2

Same with DRUM 2 3 and 4. We already know DRUMS can be tied to PGM, 4 active DRUMS on 2kxl.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:27 am
Lampdog wrote:And what are you wanting me to show myself.

the mumbo jumbo we're all rambling on about :lol:

I dunno then.. but still, I wish the 2000/xl could take 2 eb16 cards... would be awesome. (or maybe a card with more sends.)