Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Lampdog Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:36 am
It's an expensive little card and should be doing more than it does, but what it does is continue to be called "the little engine that could".

I've made beats in the box with it, no vegas effects, just eb16 and I thought they were cool, well to me they were. The rest of the elite world would prolly call em doo doo :lol:
By SimonInAustralia Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:41 am
mr_debauch wrote:I dunno then.. but still, I wish the 2000/xl could take 2 eb16 cards... would be awesome. (or maybe a card with more sends.)

It would be more correct to call them returns, rather than sends.

You usually have sends from a mixer into an effects unit, and returns coming back from the effects unit into the mixer.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:01 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:I dunno then.. but still, I wish the 2000/xl could take 2 eb16 cards... would be awesome. (or maybe a card with more sends.)

It would be more correct to call them returns, rather than sends.

You usually have sends from a mixer into an effects unit, and returns coming back from the effects unit into the mixer.

yeah, actually what I was thinking when typing that is more effects slots.. ie: 4 mfx, 4 reverb...

I have done beats using all eb16 too that were okay.. but I mean, yeah the effects are weak compared to the latest pluggin collection however it is what it is... another little avenue on the 2000/xl. I just dont use the reverb on that for the sculpting I may do with field recordings on the PC... use it where it works for the song.
By Lampdog Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:06 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:You usually have sends from a mixer into an effects unit, and returns coming back from the effects unit into the mixer.

What about 2kxl manual pg 133 and 134.
By SimonInAustralia Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:17 am
Lampdog wrote:
SimonInAustralia wrote:You usually have sends from a mixer into an effects unit, and returns coming back from the effects unit into the mixer.

What about 2kxl manual pg 133 and 134.

Hmmm, yeah, I suppose it calls them that in the manual, fair call.

I still don't think that is really correct, the lines/channels back from the effects card to the MPC CPU/Mixer, which mr_debauch wants enough for each effects block to have it's own set of lines/channels into the mixer, in my opinion only of course, really are the returns, and then what they are calling sends in the manual, which you pointed out, is actually routing the stereo effects return, in the mixer section, to the available output buses.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:37 am
^ no no, I meant more fx options to send to... more than 2 MFX and more than 2 reverbs... but why not, i'd take more returns too :lol:

none of that will happen but it was a genie/3 mpc 2000 wishes type scenario.
By SimonInAustralia Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:46 am
mr_debauch wrote:^ no no, I meant more fx options to send to... more than 2 MFX and more than 2 reverbs... but why not, i'd take more returns too :lol:

none of that will happen but it was a genie/3 mpc 2000 wishes type scenario.

OK then, sorry for the confusion.

I think it needs enough returns into the mixer to send each of the 4 effects blocks to it's own individual output.

Not much point in letting you assign a separate individual output for each effects block, if the same stereo mix of the 4 effects blocks is sent to those 4 outputs.
By Lampdog Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:49 am
Understood, no confusion at all man.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:12 am
SimonInAustralia wrote:
Not much point in letting you assign a separate individual output for each effects block, if the same stereo mix of the 4 effects blocks is sent to those 4 outputs.

true!

"yo, i dont want any EQ from my outboard mixer on that distortion.. only on the reverb"

:lol:
By Solowbeats Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:48 am
Lampdog wrote:I just put a stereo sample through eb16 -> main outs -> ufx. It was a thx sample that sweeps/runs heavy w/ wide pan swings. The sample remained stereo when listening outboard on the ufx. I went out the mains out as I dont have the 8 outs.

That's just not possible.
So you are telling me that you can put a wide stereo sample thru the eb16 WITH THE ORIGINAL SAMPLE VOLUME ALL THE WAY TURNED DOWN, and only your fx send turned up, and still end up with a wide stereo sound at the end?

Please open up your mpc and take pictures of whatever reversed engineered alien technology you got build into that thing :)
By Lampdog Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:35 am
How am I going to hear my sample if it's own volume is down?
You alluded to eb16 turning samples to mono. That didn't happen is what I'm saying.

I never said anythng about what you JUST now stated w/ the volume variable added in there.

"so you are telling me....."
No, I told you what I told you. Please dont rephrase as those were not my actual words..

No alien technology :lol: Just the simple little card we all love to hate to love.
By SimonInAustralia Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:36 pm
Lampdog wrote:How am I going to hear my sample if it's own volume is down?
You alluded to eb16 turning samples to mono. That didn't happen is what I'm saying.

I never said anythng about what you JUST now stated w/ the volume variable added in there.

I think they are asking you to ensure that the direct/pre-effects output of the sample is turned off/down, so that you are only listening to the output of the effects, and not the original sample mixed in with the output of the effects.

They think you are hearing the stereo panning in the original sample, which is maybe being mixed in with the effects output, and are maybe not listening to just the effects output by itself.
By Lampdog Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:26 pm
I interpreted the past post verbatim.

Solowbeats wrote:Whatever stereo sound you feed into the EB16 will be processed mono. Sure you can create stereo effects with modulation, but as far as I know any signal fed into the eb16 turns into a mono sound.

This is what I was testing, exactly what was said. The signal I used, was a stereo sample loaded in the 2kxl. It came out stereo when listening to the 2k's main outs in the ufx. EB16 MIX of and on the sample was still stereo when heard in the ufx.

Now, I will try with the sample volume down and fx send vol up. I already know what's going to happen because I've done this before but I'mma do it anyway and tell you exactly what I hear.

brb
By tapedeck Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:31 pm
sorry lamp yer gonna have to mulligan on this one.

my exact process:
1) create stereo sample (in the xl) by combining a drum loop for the left channel and a string loop for the right channel.
2) assign to pad a01.
3) main screen -> hit pad a01 - sound is in stereo (drums left, strings right).
4) go into mixer and turn down volume of pad a01 so i am NOT hearing the dry sound.
5) go into fxsend and turn a01 send to m1 all the way up.
6) set m1 effect to be 'filt' effect with all depth values at 0 (basically a pass through, no effect).
7) hit pad a01 - sound has been combined to mono.
:mrgreen:

the alternative way to do this is instead of turning the dry volume down, you can hit open window on the 'mix' box in the effect and turn direct sig off.

i chose the filt set to no effect so we don't have things like modulation or reverb adding stereo information...which yes can still be done (the fx are mono in, stereo out).
Last edited by tapedeck on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.