Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Solowbeats Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:35 pm
aight, but don't be fooled by whatever modulation or l/r echo or reverb you put on you sound. The sound itself is merged/turned into a mono sound. There is no other way. It just cannot be done. I'm waiting for your test result.

Let's say you take a sample from a 50's recording with hard left/right panning okay, you assign it to m1 or m2 and turn the sample volume off and it's fx send all the way up... there's no way you will still hear a hard panned l/r sound.
By Lampdog Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:40 pm
Sample volume down, fx send up, efx modules on or off, the signal eb16 puts out is mono.

Eb16 mix off, there is no sound.

Yep, stereo sample got summed to mono.
I was listenng to dry and wet before on my ufx. :oops: :oops:

My apologies if I seemed to overreact, I love my little card and was ready to go down with the ship. I stand corrected. :oops: :oops:
By Lampdog Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:54 pm
Now you got me wondering about my effects card in my 4k. I might as well do the same things with that too in a little while here soon.

Back to the eb16, I'd never use it seriously with just fx send only, I'd need the dry orig sample in there to keep my stereo sound going on with stereo samples.

My heart is broken, but I live on.
By Solowbeats Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:57 pm
I never worked with a 4K but i imagine it's fx's to be way better than the EB16's. First time I noticed the eb16 summing stereo to mono I couldn't believe it. I thought it was a malfunctioning eb16. Later I learned it was supposed to be that way.

I use my eb16 allot yet subtle. And I always mute the dry sample volume due to phasing artifacts wich can occur sometimes. Only when I use it's reverb and delay do I leave the volume of my dry signal open.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:02 pm
I use the eb16 for 2 things.... drums where who cares if it's mono... and reverbs (for example on strings) where you aren't running only the wet signal anyways....

the problem with EQing drums though is I wind up having to turning direct signal off, doing the EQing... then I raise and lower (basically mixing) the drum sound's volumes using the gain/dist effect to get everything where it should be.... but if you leave the direct signal on you sometimes wind up with some phasing.....
By peterpiper Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:01 am
I think you expected too much from the EB16. It was released in 1996 AFAIK and if you look at the usual (not the more expensive ones from Lexicon or Eventide) rack FX units most of them used mono Inputs or they offer 2 Inputs but didn't provide a true stereo processing.
Most of the microphone recording was mono, guitar, bass = mono. Ok the keyboards had stereo outs but I can only see a handfull situations were a stereosignal really needs to be kept in stereo for an fx unit.

I mean, with a mono input on FX units the direct signal is still stereo and the output of the FX will also be stereo. Only experts might recognize that the stereo out of the FX unit comes from a monofied L/R signal and only when the difference between L and R is big and also the FX is kind of special.

peace
Last edited by peterpiper on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By tapedeck Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:03 am
not to mention most fx sends are all mono. hell, combining a stereo track to mono for some might be considered a 'feature'.

it is still a very strange device in it's implementation.
By 5U-7_(7ON) Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:04 am
oraziodelcore wrote:the eb16 in its protecting paper wraping

the mpc2kxl ready for the installment

a screwdriver ís needed for loosening the bottomplate

STEP 1:
AFTER THE UNPLUGMENT TURN THE UNIT UPSIDEDOWN.
A PILLOW WILL DO, AND IT WONT SCRAPE THE FACEPLATE....

STEP 2:
HERE IS THE MODERBOARD OF THE UNIT.

NOTICE THE WHITE CONNECTOR TO THE RIGHT?
ITS THERE THE EB 16 IS TO BE INSTALLED.
MOUNT THE CARD WITH THE MICROCHIPS FACED UPWARDS

STEP 3:
THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE WHEN ITS CONNECTED.
NOW, NOTICE THE SCREWHOLE ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE EB16-CARD.
MAKE SHURE TO MOUNT INTO THE CONNECTOR SO THE SCREWHOLE IS EVEN THRU THE EB16CARDD AND TO THE UNITCHASSI, OTHERWISE THE SCREW WONT TIGHTEN

STEP 4.
THERE YA GO, THE SCREW IS TIGHTENED AND IN ITS PLACE

STEP 5:
RE-SCREW THE BOTTOMPLATE

STEP 6:
POWER ON THE UNIT AND ENTER MIXER SCREEN (SHIFT + 7) THEN GO INTO FXSETUP (F5 THEN CHECK IF THE MPC RECOGNIZES THE EB16 CARD.

IF YOU HAVE REACHED THIS FAR THE FX CARD SHOULD BE READY TO BE USED.
(sorry for the blurry pictures, they are taken with my cellphone, the
camera cant keep the focus whenever the object i to close to the the lens.)

I think these image urls have expired... any chance of reposting the tutorial? surprised to find no YouTube videos on this topic. Thanks
By richie Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:10 am
I'm not sure that anyone would require a tutorial of how to connect a EB-16 that can only be connected one way.
By Living Bate Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:32 am
yeh i'm not the most technically gifted individual with things like this......but i found installing the EB16 a piece of piss
By Lampdog Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:08 pm
Carrying heavy ass 4000lbs on your shoulder is harder than installing a EB16.
By 5U-7_(7ON) Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:16 am
I looked it up, didn't I?

richie wrote:I'm not sure that anyone would require a tutorial of how to connect a EB-16 that can only be connected one way.