Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By rdavila Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:49 am
Nice. I dont know your setup, but I was having trouble figuring out how to sample from my turntable to the asr without a mixer. Thats next on my list. So this is temporary but I got it to work for now. I connected my turntable to my receiver and then went from the front ' phones ' jack on the receiver with an 1/4 instrument cable one of the Inputs. Ha!

If anyone knows any other ways please let me know. Im pretty sure my sound quality isnt going to be 100% with these samples, but for now until I get a mixer its all good.
By Lampdog Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:56 am
Headphone out to stereo rca's input to asr in is fine, that will get you good sampling quality.
I used to go from md/cd discman headphones to asr input. It's fine like that.
By Lampdog Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:31 am
Maybe the rcvr is not grounded properly, maybe the turntable is not grounded to the recvr properly. Is there a ground wire on the recvr for the turntable? Does the turntable have a ground wire?
By Lampdog Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:32 am
Rcv, possibly 3 prong electric plug to well grounded outlet, or if 2 prong, then still goes to well grounded outlet.
By DukeNewport Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:58 pm
Sampling from turntable w/o mixer = bad idea. very bad.

take a sample with a mixer and compare it -- u'll neva go back.
By rdavila Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:12 pm
Hey guys, just following up with you guys. I had a water leak so ive been taking care of that and painting.

Anyway, just wanted to post something related to spreading a sample from the mpc across key on the asr-10.
I havent tried this yet, but wanted to share just in case anyone else reads the posts later on.

Happended to run across this :

"How to play/map out a sound from your mpc2000xl to you keyboard controllers keys to play ay multi pitches on the keys".

Go to your program/params page select your sound,and go to"auto chromatic assign".This will put the sounds across your keyboard controllers key pads.

When this is done it will create a new program,and you wll also have to go to drum one and reassign the program you were using.

Then to access the mapped out sound,go to drum 2 in your params and assign the new program you made and make it drum 2 on your main screen. Refer to loading multiple programs in your manual if you still need help with this.

Peace yall.
By DukeNewport Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:54 pm
Dats straight, but not what u were asking b4...

B4 u wanted ASR sample spread acoss keys ^^^this is for MPC sample.

MPC samples line up automatically when you got the two connected.
By rdavila Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:11 am
Thanks Duke.

Maybe I was unclear before. What I wanted to do was play samples across all keys on the asr that were loaded into the mpc. So my mpc was holding the sample, but I was only hearing the sampled played on one key from the asr.

I probably did something wrong but i'll get it straight.

Thanks again Duke!
By DukeNewport Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:28 pm
Yea i fell ya, the whole time i was tryna get u away from that tho.

Doing that is like coppin one of these jumpoffs just to ride in the side car

Sure, it's easier, but don't u wanna be behind the wheel?

The MPC has to be full of sounds for what you want to happen

I.E. one sound in the MPC = 1 sound in the ASR.

many sounds in the MPC = many sounds spanned across the keys.

BTW do you have a Chromatic Program loaded in ur MPC?

What are the note #'s/Assignments of the first few pads in bank A?
By rdavila Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:47 pm
Thanks Duke! I appreciate the insight.

Well, the reason I was trying to run samples to the asr was so I can edit them with the filters or effects that the asr provides. As im beggining to learn (since im brand new to both machines) is that what I was sending was data and not the actual sample. That's why I wasnt able to edit that one key'd sample. I think that's what Lamp was trying to tell me why I need to plug the mpc to the input to do the editing bit.

Besides that yea I agree with you. I should use the mpc to control my samples that are loaded onto it. I just was experimenting in the event I get a sample I like on the mpc that I cant get one asr10. I have a lot of samples that are in wav format that I cant load directly into the asr10, so i was wondering if I could midi them across and then manipulate them with the asr10's effects.

yea money, im new at this and its gonna take some time on the grind to learn. I appreciate you though.

oh yea, lamp, I just got a roland vs so that should take of my mixer issues ;) its in the mail.

peace yall
By DukeNewport Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:57 pm
rdavila wrote:Well, the reason I was trying to run samples to the asr was so I can edit them with the filters or effects that the asr provides. As im beggining to learn (since im brand new to both machines) is that what I was sending was data and not the actual sample.

Right, and Yea I'd say if u got wav's keep those in the MPC. Take all future samples with the ASR-10 tho.