Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By rdavila Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:39 pm
Im starting to see the light that 'lamp' has provided. ;)

Though I havent had a chance to test this (still at work), It looks like the clock synch is what was holding me back. I know ive turned it on on the mpc but havnet thought to on the asr. It just seems strange to me because the mpc can receive from the asr without all this configuration. Im guessing that's were the modern tech is coming in on the part of the mpc.

It doesnt matter. I bought the old tech for a reason! Im not dogging it. Up to this point Ive always been software based and now want to go the opposite direction. And to be honest Midi in the software application has always kicked my butt as well.

Anyway, i definetly like your idea of using the asr as a mixer with the ins. Thats tomorrow when I hit the music store for some cables. That will buy me some time until I can get a mixer.

Thanks a million Lampdog. Hope everything is well in Iraq.
By Lampdog Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:17 pm
I've been out of Iraq since Feb this year, lol.

2kxl manual pg 180-181.
Whichever machine is the master sequencer has to give that sequencer timing to the other.
Sync in (mpc slave) and Sync out (MPC Master) can be configured for whichever you make the mpc, master or slave.

ASR10 manual, Section 1, pg 4-5
Audio Input — B/Right and A/Left
These jacks are the Right and Left Audio Inputs into the ASR-10 for sampling or Audio Track
monitoring of external analog audio sources.

ASR10 manual, Section 17 — Sequencing/MIDI Applications explains Using the ASR-10 as a Master MIDI Controller.
Creating a MIDI Instrument (used in master and/or slave mode)
Recording into the ASR-10 Sequencer from a MIDI Controller (when asr is master)
Using the ASR-10 with an External Sequencer (asr = slave and mpc = master)

just go through those pages AND your machine at the same time, fool around and it might become a bit more clear.
By rdavila Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:56 pm
Ahh ok, good to hear you're back. ;)

Thanks for the knowledge once again! I went home after work and didnt even need to read anything. I have been messing with it so much that I have it memorized now. ha. So, it worked! The clock synch was my problem on the asr. Probably a few more things too like knowing that I should only use the Out clock rather than both.

It worked is the main thing. I was only able to play the sample out on one key, but I think it might be because I set a pad when I loaded the sample on the mpc which might be tied to a note. Im not sure. I also tried to change on the asr what keys trigger the sample but it didnt change anything. I'll play around a little more when I get back to them.

I did notice that the effects didnt apply to the samples either, but im sure thats a soon to be understood event as well.

Lampdog,

Thanks is not enough, but I really appreciate you taking the time.
By Lampdog Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:41 pm
rdavila wrote:I was only able to play the sample out on one key, but I think it might be because I set a pad when I loaded the sample on the mpc which might be tied to a note.

Normally, pads/keys are midi mapped to one note. When you want to spread a mpc bassline sample from a single pad over the whole asr kybd you'll have to edit the asr10 midi instrument range from lo key c7 to hi key c8 (all 61 keys) EDIT INSTRUMENT (as there is no actual sample in the asr to edit, it's midi remember, the bassline sample resides in the mpc) I think is what you might be looking for, I can't remember exactly, it's been a long long while.

rdavila wrote:Im not sure. I also tried to change on the asr what keys trigger the sample but it didnt change anything.
This part is going to be a little confusing to do but once you get it it's cake.
rdavila wrote:I did notice that the effects didnt apply to the samples either.

If you have your mpc going through the asr10 line ins, then you have to set up the line ins to use effects, normally the line ins have no effects set in it. You'll have to map the line in to a bus I think it is. Try that.

My asr10 manual is on my external hd at work, I'm at home I can't look it up right now.

Oh and xmitting timing sync on mpc is for sequencing the slaved asr. No sync needed for just hitting keys with no sequencer running. Mpc sends out sequencing time and asr follows that, via the midi cable so you can record both machines in sync, easy enough.
By rdavila Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:08 pm
Thanks! I did notice the area were I could set the range and I did press those keys, but the sample stayed on that one key. That was yesterday though. I'll try today.

I actually did set up the midi ins from the mpc to asr and noticed the sound was really distorted. I adjusted the level for in and it was either way to low or too much distortion. I think its either the sample, which is some wav format that I downloaded from the net, or a setting I need to tweak. Not sure.

ahh that makes sense to why the mpc was able to play samples without a time clock. Thanks a lot Lamp.

By Lampdog Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:08 pm
For the distortion on the asr line ins there is a little switch in back of the asr10, switch it to LINE.
Inside your mpc mixer turn the sample up loud as you can, use the main volume afterwards and turn it maybe a small bit past halfway.

To spread an mpc sample across the asr kybd maybe just the inst range. I can't remember exactly how to do that one, I know that i've done it many times before but like I said, it's been a while. Maybe you can change the range on that one key, find it and try (C2-C8). That MIGHT be it.

I'm surprised no ACTIVE asr10 vets have ANYTHING to say here, no light to shed, nothing, cmon peoples, lol.
By nod records Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:18 pm
I miss my ASR-10 and want it back!!!

I'm getting another one soon as my money is right.

I used the MPC 2000XL & ASR-10 Combo.

I like using the MPC as the Master and the ASR as the Slave. I think the sequencer in the MPC is better, but the ASR kills with sample chopping, warmth, effects, etc...

It's a killer combo, one of my favs.

If not the MPC 2000XL & ASR-10, then the MPC 60 and ASR-10. The MPC 60 for drums crushes.

If you want to use the set-up this way. hook your midi cables up (out mpc to in asr, then out asr to in mpc). got into the ASR and set the midi to Multi (i forget which commands get you there, but you'll find it)

now midi tracks 1-8 on your mpc, should be tracks 1-8 on your asr. super easy to set-up and very efficent workflow.

pce
By rdavila Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:49 pm
Thanks guys. Ive seen quite a few for less than 500.00. I got really lucky on mine for 393.00 ebay so I cant complain.

Nice heads up Nod Records! I actually downloaded the MPC 60 samples recently so I know what you're talking about. The crashes were insane. Its really hard to find good samples out there. Ive been lucky finding a few here and there, and also bought some off a guy on ebay the CDR series. Im having troubles figuring out how to load the samples from the scsi cd rom drive but I think It may be my fault running through the data slider. Not sure.

Lampdog wrote:For the distortion on the asr line ins there is a little switch in back of the asr10, switch it to LINE.
Inside your mpc mixer turn the sample up loud as you can, use the main volume afterwards and turn it maybe a small bit past halfway.

To spread an mpc sample across the asr kybd maybe just the inst range. I can't remember exactly how to do that one, I know that i've done it many times before but like I said, it's been a while. Maybe you can change the range on that one key, find it and try (C2-C8). That MIGHT be it.

I'm surprised no ACTIVE asr10 vets have ANYTHING to say here, no light to shed, nothing, cmon peoples, lol.

Thank again Lamp! Im going to give this a shot today! I might try loading another samples because that one I used may have just had a distorted freq to being with. I played it on my laptop and it did have a high freq that crackled and distorted. I'll use a few to see what kind of levels I come out with.

Yall take care, hope things are well.
By DukeNewport Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:14 pm
nod records wrote:If you want to use the set-up this way..go into the ASR and set the midi to MULTI

rdavila , U DID NOT ANSWER THIS QUESTION.

What " MIDI-IN MODE " R u using ???

I.E.

EDIT > SYSTEM/MIDI > MIDI-IN MODE = ??? (THIS SHUD BE MULTI) !!!

I turn my ASR-10 and it works instantly w/MPC.

No creating MIDI instruments - none of dat ish -- flip da switch & yeehaw!
By MeRCwerX Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:29 pm
You just gotta' be careful of the ASR-10 as a slave, it will usually give you an error 144 message. You should save your data as you progress through your work-flow.

That is a known problem with the ASR-10. I have the same setup, MPC 2kxl and ASR-10. I basically use the ASR as a sound module and play bass lines into the MPC from it.
By Lampdog Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:00 pm
MeRCwerX wrote:You just gotta' be careful of the ASR-10 as a slave, it will usually give you an error 144 message. You should save your data as you progress through your work-flow.

That is a known problem with the ASR-10. I have the same setup, MPC 2kxl and ASR-10. I basically use the ASR as a sound module and play bass lines into the MPC from it.

Yeah that damn 144, haha. It happens but it's not often.
By Lampdog Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:05 pm
DukeNewport wrote:Yea there's no reason to be syncing it, sound module all day.

That's not correct, IF, you want to record ASR10 midi performance into the mpc sequencer
you'll need sync. :roll: