Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By rdavila Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:19 pm
I have a question if you guys dont mind please.

I currently have an asr-10 connected to the mpc through midi. I am able to play samples on the mpc that have been loaded into the asr-10.

My question is how do I reverse this? I want to be able to play mpc samples on the asr-10. Is this just a setting that I need to assign on the asr-10?

Sorry, ive been reading both manuals and am having trouble with this. Thanks any help would be appreciated.

By Lampdog Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:28 pm
Create a midi instrument on the asr10, play your mpc midi through that midi instrument.
By rdavila Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:13 am
Thank you Lampdog. I knew it would be something Im over looking. Both devices are new to me, so all the pieces havent quite fell together yet. I appreciate your help thanks again!

By Lampdog Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:33 am
I think that's the toughest part for people to understand, to use kybds/sound modules you need to create a midi type track on mpc.
To do it the other way around like you are saying you need to create a midi instrument on asr10.

People ALWAYS forget that. I've done it many times before on triton. asr10 and mpc in every combination just to see what the workflow was like, and I liked them all. It's just a matter of knowing your machine well enough, that's all.

Keep at it with that midi instrument and it will come to you. Your close now, getting warm. 8)

another hint. If you are using mpc main outs and NOT 8outs, you can put the mpc main outs into the asr10 line ins and the asr10 can act as a mixer. mixing the mpc and asr10 main out together and all the sound comes out of the asr10 main outs.

This way you ONLY have to hook up your asr10 mainouts to your soundcard/interface/monitors to record all audio from both machines.

AND the added extra big benefit of this is you can now use asr10 effects on your mpc main outs, hehehe, your mpc will now be colored with the asr10 warmth everyone wants and wishes for. :wink:
By rdavila Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:02 pm
Thanks so much. I tried it out last night but am still having problems. I couldnt get the midi settings correct between the two. Im going to spend a little more time reading because I know its just a matter of settings between the two and since im still learning both machines it wont be long.

I think you read my mind regarding applying effects to mpc samples. Thats exactly where I was heading. I wanted to see if that was possible. I do not have the 8 outs option for the mpc. Im going directly from the midi in's and out's on each device.

Let me figure this puzzle out and I'll hit you back asap.

Thanks once again Lampdog!
By rdavila Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:49 pm
Ok, im stumped. Ive tried creating a midi instrument on the asr, which seems pretty straight forward but im still having problems. I think it has something to do with the designated channel for each device. Ive tried setting channels 1 and 3 for each but am getting no sound.

I like your idea about using the the asr as a mixer. I'll have to check that out soon. Right now I just have my monitors direct connect to the asr. During testing I did connect one monitor to the mpc while one was still connected to the asr to see if that was the problem.

If you have the manuals Ive been referencing pages 52 in the mpc manual and 399 in the asr manual.

Its crazy because setting up the asr and mpc to send towards the asr was easy.

Just a side note. Should my midi connections be switched? I though since the asr only has an in and an out, there is only one way to connect to the mpc. in to out bidirectional.. so im on 1 and A from the asr.

Thanks again. I appreciate any help.
By Lampdog Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:58 pm
You can connect mpc in/out to asr out/in.
And use local control off on the device that you don't want to play locally.
(ie, midi instrument, local control off on asr when you to play mpc samples on asr keys.)
(ie, midi track, local control off on mpc when you to play asr samples on mpc pads.)

mpc main out - > asr line in.
asr mainout -> monitors.
You'll have to make the line in seperate left and right and have them active so the mpc
audio can run through it.
Now you can hear both machines through the asr10 main out.
By rdavila Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:08 pm
You tha man Lamp! Thank you.

Ive got a lot of work to do, but I know it'll just be a matter of time. Unless I have hardware issues ;)

Anyway, yea I dont think I have turned local settings on of off. They may be defaulted to a setting preventing me from hearing sounds.

Thanks again.
By rdavila Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:28 pm
I have a couple questions if you dont mind please.

1) I think Im having a problem with ' Setting the Track’s MIDI Channel '. Is there a specific channel I should be using? I feel like ive used them all.

I mean I understand this concept :

' S:MIDI :10A-Device10 '

' For example, in the setting shown above, the data of track 01 (which is currently selected) sends
data from MIDI OUT A on MIDI channel 10. '

and Im set to input on 1 and output on A. Ive even tried 2 and B, which doesnt work either. I mean they both work for receiving data from asr, but I cant get sending to work.

2) Regarding the MPC setup. Should I be synching or dumping for this to work (on mpc)?
Regarding the ASR setup. Should I be setting up ' Using the ASR-10 with an External Sequencer ' or ' Using the
ASR-10 with a Drum Machine '

Cause ive tried them all.

Once again thanks a lot!! Any help I can get is greatly appreciated.

By Lampdog Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:29 pm
Which one is your sequencer and which one is your slave?

Let's get that down first.

You shouldn't have 2 sequencers going at the same time.

Master (midi out) and Slave (midi in), which of your machines is which?

Page 11, mpc 2kxl manual shows mpc 2kxl diagram of mpc midi hooksups.

Page 178-181 , mpc 2kxl manual shows you midi configuration mpc as Master and slave configurations.

Midi sample dump is not what your doing here so don't worry about that, it has nothing to do with what you
doing right now.

Section 4, pg 5-6 asr10 manual shows you track status info.

Section 12, pg 11 asr10 manual shows you ASR10 as Master diagram and configuration.

http://www.bipolarization.com/applicati ... page_id=13

All the documentation u need for ASR10.
By rdavila Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:00 pm
Ahhh money Lamp. Thanks again.

Im guessing my mpc will be Sequencer. From what ive read anyway. That the mpc as a sequencer is better. I dont know from my own experience yet though.

In this configuration it looks like the mpc will be the Master since the midi out is what im concerned with right?

Thanks for the knowledge once again! I really appreciate you taking the time to help a brutha.
Ive got the original manuals at home and dig copy at work that ive been reading in both places.
The samples on the other hand have been something ive been scouring for.

Let me try this out and let you know what I come up with.

In the mean time, take care
By rdavila Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:38 pm
Ok, it looks like im having a little trouble with master and slave and determining which is which.

According to the manual its saying that the Master is which ever you want to send from.

So does this make the MPC the Master? Im thinking so because I want it to send its data to the ASR. I guess I think of the ASR as being the Master because its going to be controlling the MPC's sounds. dunno..

Other than that, I went home for lunch and was able to test a little. I noticed that the ' Midi Monitor ' on the MPC was lighting up for whatever channel I set on each. So thats a good sign.

The only thing I left out after reading right now is the Clock! I havent synched it. I mean I turned it on the mpc to synch but didnt know where to do this on the asr. Now I know. I hope this is the missing link ;)

Thanks
By Lampdog Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:34 pm
ASR10 = EXT SYNC.

That will make the ASR10 a slave to MPC Master timing.

I'm going to assume you want MPC as master.

mpc midi out -> asr10 midi in
(mpc supplies sequencer timing for asr10, you will not be using asr10 sequencer at all)

asr10 midi out -> mpc midi in
(asr10 will output midi performance to mpc so you can record asr midi tracks on mpc using mpc midi type tracks)
if you have samples in the asr10 you will have normal inst tracks with local control on, record asr10 midi on mpc sequencer. mpc will play back the asr midi data and mpc will tell asr10 what to play.

if you have no samples and want to use mpc sounds on asr keyboard create a midi instrument on asr, local control off so that only the mpc sound are heard when playing the asr10 keys.
By Lampdog Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm
MPC is the sequencer of choice for many people, and the interface is more modern and easier for
many people to get around in so I'd say, use the MPC as sequencer (midi out) and use the ASR10 as slave (midi in).

Doing this you can record your ASR10 midi performance into the MPC sequencer.
(asr10 midi out inst channel 1, MPC midi in, midi track-type, 01A-Device01)
(asr10 midi out inst channel 2, MPC midi in, midi track-type, 01A-Device02 etc.)

I use to do this alot before I took apart my gear and went to Iraq.
Even with the mpc as sequencer, you can still do mpc main out to asr10 line in and have asr10 main outs going to your monitors (using the asr10 line ins as a mixer).