Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By DukeNewport Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:22 pm
Midi performances? wut u mean?

dude said he just got his ASR - not like he got mad ASR sequences, right?
By Lampdog Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:33 pm
Your answers were in line with the original question, your right.
Throughout the thread it turned into midi syncing and with that comes sequencing in a master slave environment.

Without midi between the 2 machines your just playing around with sounds and not sequencing.
With midi syncing it shows that you plan on sequencing and with the 2 machines it's imminent that
you'll begin to make beats and sequence.
By DukeNewport Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:46 pm
Lampdog wrote:Without midi between the 2 machines your just playing around with sounds and not sequencing.

Fa sho.

...& MIDI is a fact of life 4 my ish (MPC+ASR+S3000) but I neva sync, feel me?

I.E. I trigger ASR-10 via MP same as I'd trigger S3K - as a sound module.

Clocking and all that is just xtra ish at that point
By concepts Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:48 pm
Lampdog wrote:Your answers were in line with the original question, your right.
Throughout the thread it turned into midi syncing and with that comes sequencing in a master slave environment.

Without midi between the 2 machines your just playing around with sounds and not sequencing.
With midi syncing it shows that you plan on sequencing and with the 2 machines it's imminent that
you'll begin to make beats and sequence.

Wait... WHAT?! You need to sync to sequence? Like you said previously, sequencing should be done on one sequencer, preferably the MPC. This is the ideal method and doesn't require you to sync because all you are going to be doing is using the ASR10 as a sound module (rack or keyboard). The only reason to sync is if you want to use two sequencer or if you need parameter syncing.

To the OGP, from what I read, at one point you were only using one midi cable? Make sure there are two midi cables in use between the two machines (i know its probably obvious but you really seem to be lost).

Now at this point you need to go into the ASR10 manual read up on ALL the pages for Edit > System*MIDI (pages 33 - 42). This will educate you one the more important menus/options/modes such as MIDI BASE CHANNEL, TRANSMIT ON, AND MIDI IN MODE.

From there you should be able to set every thing up so that you can accomplish what you originally asked. However, i dont know how you would spread the note of a MPC sample through just midi configuration with the ASR10 as i do not own an MPC anymore, all i use is the ASR10. BUT, it think maybe the 16 level option may help. Also note that in the MPC, midi transmit and receive settings are usually set to GM so you might have to go in and set up the MPC pad trigger number so they are chronically ordered. Syncing the two should follow after in the Edit > Seq*Song.

EDIT:
Once you set everything up the way you want in the ASR10 go to Command > System*MIDI > SAVE GLOBAL PARAMETERS. This will save all the settings to the OS disk for the next boot up.
Last edited by concepts on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Re:

By concepts Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:59 pm
Lampdog wrote:
To spread an mpc sample across the asr kybd maybe just the inst range. I can't remember exactly how to do that one, I know that i've done it many times before but like I said, it's been a while. Maybe you can change the range on that one key, find it and try (C2-C8). That MIGHT be it.

I dont think you can spread MPC samples with just changing midi range configuration in the ASR10 because the base channel will already transmit a full keyboard range. Dont you have to put it on 16 levels first? Ive never used an MPC2000xl and ive been out the MPC game for a minute. Maybe youve been out the ASR10 game for a minute? Dont tell me you sold it?!!!
By rdavila Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:27 pm
DukeNewport wrote:Midi performances? wut u mean?

dude said he just got his ASR - not like he got mad ASR sequences, right?

Haha no, no mad sequences yet. Im barely scratching the surface. Thanks for all your feedback though. I've been successful in synching them in either direction only still having the single key problem. No big deal though. It might have been something I did when I set them up. Either assigning the sample to a key on the mpc or an assignment on the asr when I set up Midi. I should be able to change them once Ive set them its just it didnt work on the asr side. I'll try again.

Thanks again!
By DukeNewport Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:14 pm
I was only able to play the sample out on one key, but I think it might be because I set a pad when I loaded the sample on the mpc which might be tied to a note

Wut exactly r u trying?

1 sample in the ASR spread across keys or 1 sample in the MPC spread across keys?

Do u want the pitch to stay the same or to go up/down?
By rdavila Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:14 pm
Thanks Duke! Yea I was successful with playing a sample on the asr-10 that was loaded on the mpc, but only on one key. I tried changing the key range on the asr (midi instru), but it would only still play on one key. Like c4 or something. I have to admit that was my first attempt, so I need to play around some more to make sure that the problem is not me.

Thanks for the help.
By DukeNewport Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:03 am
rdavila wrote:I tried changing the key range on the asr (midi instru), but it would only still play on one key. Like c4 or something.

sounds like a textbook layer problem. It's gud to hav dat if u wanna chop a sample w/o losing memory, but nvrmind...For changing pitch's 4 each key u want the other mode.

EDIT>LAYER>PITCH TABLE = STANDARD

BTW if u getta LAYER EDIT NOT ALLOWED error dont trip, jus make sure the WS u want to edit is active. do that by hitting the key u want with the cursor under the WS # , while in the main part of the instrument menu.
By Grimlock Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:28 am
Hey,

I've also got a problem connecting up my asr to my 2000xl...

I've followed the instructions in the manual and in this thread but I can't seem to get any midi activity coming from the asr at all.

On my other keyboard (ensoniq sq1) I'd have to go into a song/sequencing mode to use the multitimbral functionality.... Is there anything similar that you have to do on the asr?

I've set the asr to trans chan, multi, the instrument is set to both, and the mpc channel set to midi-device 1a...got the cables hooked up right etc but no activity on the input monitor on the mpc.

I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with the asr's midi functionality....but then I also thought that about the other keyboard until I got it working ;)

I'll keep trying to figure it out but if anyone has any ideas, plz let me know.

Thanks
By Grimlock Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:21 am
Actually...nevermind.... Just got the service manual and ran the midi test and it failed.

I'm so pissed off, I just got the unit shipped from florida to australia.

The manual says that if it fails, check the connection between the digital jack board and the digital board..... which I guess is my next step.
By Grimlock Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:27 pm
Really weird.... just opened the asr and found that the digital jack board wasn't connected to the main board?! wtf?

I connected it up and am now able to use midi between the asr and 2kxl... **** Yeah!

There's now some weird behaviour going on with the instrument buttons, but I think it may be to do with some setting that I've got on... I only just got it a few days ago so still learning how to use it.

cheers ppl
By rdavila Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:29 pm
That is crazy. I havent cracked mine open yet but if its some type of IDE cable it shouldnt just come out haha..

Yea my up arrow button is kinda different. All the other buttons click and press nice, but the up arrow doesnt click. They all work though thats all that matters. I dont expect these older machines to be perfect though.

Enjoy your new ASR Grimlock! Im loving mine and I havent even really gotten to use all the functionality.
By Grimlock Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:17 am
yeah thx rda, I found out that the guy I bought it off had a tech looking at it a few weeks ago (1 of the digits on the screen doesn't work) ... the tech probably just didn't hook it back up, it's still weird though coz its such a hard thing to miss, it was the first thing I saw when I opened it up.

some of my buttons click and some don't but they all work. The weird behaviour with the instrument buttons is normal, it's just that they function differently now that the board is plugged in.... I think it has to do with the midi mode of the asr i.e. multi, omni etc

I'm lovin my asr too... barely scratching the surface yet tho.