Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
ByMain Issue Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:48 pm
Sup yall,

I got my XL yesterday and fired it up this afternoon. All seems to work OK, a couple of buttons need replaced as the plastic has cracked, most annoying though is the floppy drive situation.

At first, it wouldn't detect the device whatsoever - OK I thought, I'll open it up and see if I can figure out why. Well I figured it out pretty quickly, the IDE wasn't plugged into the floppy and neither was a power cable. Problem is, there isn't a power cable at all for the floppy. Am I right in thinking that the power for the floppy comes from the 4 pin white connector right beside the corner screw? I ripped open an old PC hoping to find the right connector but it obviously ain't old enough, the power leads are all on a bus that is hard wired to the PSU. I snipped the wires thinking I could wire them up to another adaptor, but I can't find the right type.

Can anyone tell me the exact cable I need to hook up my internal drive to the motherboard? I'm not going to bother with floppies for long, but I need to update the OS to 1.2 before I can start trying to get a CF card recognised, so until then I need floppy connectivity!

I've searched for this but can't find any threads where someone simply doesn't have the standard power cable. Other threads show 'molex' power leads...do I need one that runs in sequence from the MPC PSU -> motherboard -> floppy drive?
ByMain Issue Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:39 pm
Yes, and generally speaking that would be attached to the hard wired PSU of a PC - how does that connection fit onto my MPC in any way?

Unless I'm totally missing something, here's what I'm trying to figure out...

This is what I have currently, a floppy disk power lead which was ripped off a PC power supply - is there not a connection I can wire these 4 loose cables into, or is there a name for the type of cable I need?

By Lampdog Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:53 pm

One drop of solder on the red and then one fdrop of solder on the black pins to the motherboard
connector to solder your wires on the 2 pins (which exact pins on the mobo are 5v and ground you'll have to
multi meter and check, I don't remember exactly). MAKE SURE you know which mobo pins are which because
there is 12v yellow there as well and you'd blow up your floppy device if they are accidentally attached. Isn't
there pictures of mpc floppy connectors that are attached and working on this forum somewhere you can
check out the colors attached? I'm sure I've seen pictures around.

White connector goes to Floppy device.

red/black = floppy drive

yellow/black = ide device = mcd/zip

some ide devices may require all three connected to work
correctly, yellow/black/red
ByMain Issue Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:04 pm
Lampdog I appreciate you persisting with me here...

Lampdog wrote:
One drop of solder on the red and then one drop of solder on the black pins to the motherboard
connector to solder your wires on the 2 pins (which exact pins on the mobo are 5v and ground you'll have to
multi meter and check, I don't remember exactly). MAKE SURE you know which mobo pins are which because
there is 12v yellow there as well and you'd blow up your floppy device if they are accidentally attached. Isn't
there pictures of mpc floppy connectors that are attached and working on this forum somewhere you can
check out the colors attached? I'm sure I've seen pictures around.

So red is 5v and both blacks are ground? Should I just take a voltage reading on each pin to figure it out (what will the ground pins read?). I actually have 2 x the floppy power supply that I posted - I was hoping that the 4 pin connection would be the same at both ends. Is there any risk of my damaging the motherboard voltage wise or is it just the floppy which is at risk?

Lampdog wrote:White connector goes to Floppy device.

Yup I took it straight from a floppy in the first instance.

Lampdog wrote:red/black = floppy drive

yellow/black = ide device = mcd/zip

some ide devices may require all three connected to work
correctly, yellow/black/red

Noted.
By ninebynine Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:44 pm
You could contact Cimple Solutions, they have a pretty good supply of MPC parts. They are Akai approved severice guys and are based in the UK

http://www.cimplesolutions.com/

Cheers, Nine
ByMain Issue Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:12 pm
Ok I wired up two of the cables I showed in the picture earlier, hacked one down with a craft knife until it fit the board connector, wiped the blood off my thumb and wrapped it once in elec tape to keep it neat. Joined it up and plugged in floppy. Powered up, getting further but still no luck. Floppy now recognised, it also identied the media as 2HD, however when I tried to format it says 'no disk ! !'

It is definitely not getting enough juice, there was no movement from the drive & the LED wouldn't light up. I think I'm gonna try and pick up the correct cable from the guys Nine mentioned above.
By Lampdog Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:59 am
Can u post close up pics of what you actually did?

Blood is not good for your mobo, lmao, sorry, lmao.
ByMain Issue Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:59 am
Lol there is no blood on anything. I just cut my thumb 'shaving' plastic off the second floppy connector so had to wipe a couple of smudges off it. I'll take a pic of the f*cked up cable I ended up with, later.
ByMain Issue Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:32 am

Here's the cable wired up, just stripped the plastic, twisted the wires together and elec taped over the join.

Blurry but here's the regular floppy connection vs the one that has had all of the sticky-out bits hacked off. The pins lined up perfectly, I could see that they did on the other side (that just has 'grooves' in it).
By Lampdog Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:12 pm
The grooves are there so that you the pins will line up to the proper points.
Otherwise without them you might place the cable on backwards. That's called a "keyed" connector.

When I first installed my internal zip I did the same thing you are doing, I spliced the existing mpc
floppy power cable into the zip ide molex (same big connector you posted earlier) and everything worked right from the get go.

Are you sure that floppy drive worked previously?