Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
ByPPBZ Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:53 pm
Machine_ibf wrote:Nothing know this people???

http://www.theslot.spirhytm.com/

i've written him a few months ago and i asked if the reader is hot-swappable. he wrote back that it's not how-swappable.

but he said also that he has no readers in stock but he said that he will write me an email if he has got that readers in stock again. but since yet, he didn't answered, what means he has still got no readers in stock.
By Lampdog Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:10 pm
PiPPo Beatz wrote:but since yet, he didn't answered, what means he has still got no readers in stock.

.....oooooooor you could just keep in touch with him and check back every now and then.
By sorinp Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:53 pm
Hey fellas, so I got my 2k back from the shop with the new cf reader installed ( I got the beige one from http://www.psism.com/psiiic.htm ) and have now run into a couple of hurdles as expected.

1) I bought a brand new LEXAR 4 GB cf card but the drive won't recognize it. With the card in the reader I boot up the 2k but it seems to be stuck in some weird mode, a few LEDs are on but nothing on the screen. It stays like this until I gently remove the card from the reader and then the startup process begins and I finally get the main screen. Is this what you guys mean when you say that the 2K is picky with the different brands of cf cards on the market? Yes I have read that people recommend the SANDISK 1GB card they just don't sell it anymore at BestBuy, FutureShop or Wal-Mart so I wanted to try something. My next step is online.

2) I had an older IBM 64 MB cf card that the 2k seems to like and recognize. Formatted it in the 2k and then copied a few samples from my Mac via a USB multi-card reader. The samples are wav files, 16-bit, 44.1 Khz and have simple file names like "Clap8.wav" or "BD0010.wav". The problem is that the 2K is now telling me "Unknown file type". I have searched this forum for an answer but it seems I have done everything properly. I can see the three folders I copied on the 2k screen (in the LOAD section) but I cannot get into them to see the sound files.

Oh yes, important detail, prior to installing the cf drive I installed OS 1.20 from floppy as recommended by http://www.psism.com/psiiic.htm and most people on this board.

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by sorinp on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sorinp Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:17 pm
Dankeshun! But I thought i read somewhere here that people can still format the card even if it's higher that 1 GB? (I realize you can only get 512 MB out of a cf card)

So is that my problem? wow, that was easy!?!?

Any ideas about the second point? The "Unknown file type"?
By Life Absolute Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:23 pm
I was thinking that having a hot swappable card reader might be overrated. I mean if you have a 1gb CF card, then do you really need to swap it out all the time, probably not. I was wondering what your opinion is on this. I just bought the PSI Model: IIC-B (black) one and it isn't hot swappable. So I hope I could just deal with it anyways, it'll be much better than the floppy anyhow. I searched the entire forum here for awhile and the net for awhile longer, and found nothing. Thanks for your input.
By Lampdog Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:40 pm
sorinp wrote: The samples are wav files, 16-bit, 44.1 Khz and have simple file names like "Clap8.wav" or "BD0010.wav". The problem is that the 2K is now telling me "Unknown file type".

Make sure they are actually 44khz/16bit, pcm wav.
Check the properties in a wave editors.

Open them up in a wave editor again, and resave them again as 44khz16bit pcm wav.
By Lampdog Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:41 pm
Life Absolute wrote:I was thinking that having a hot swappable card reader might be overrated. I mean if you have a 1gb CF card, then do you really need to swap it out all the time, probably not. I was wondering what your opinion is on this. I just bought the PSI Model: IIC-B (black) one and it isn't hot swappable. So I hope I could just deal with it anyways, it'll be much better than the floppy anyhow. I searched the entire forum here for awhile and the net for awhile longer, and found nothing. Thanks for your input.

People want hotswappable so they can snatch out the card anytime they want, simple.
I don't know what else it is your looking for, that's all there is too it.
By sorinp Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:21 am
Wow.

Everything's working perfectly.

Wow.

Thanks guys (Lampdog and PiPPo Beats) :wink:

So it was these two things that prevented me from actually getting the cf drive to work:

1) 4GB card was not recognized by the 2k. I just bought a used 256 MB LEXAR 30 minutes ago from a local guy for $8 and it works flawlessly.

2) the wav samples were not saved as pcm wave samples. I resaved them in Audacity (free shareware software)... brilliant!

Man did I learn a few things in the process, I am grateful for the newfound wisdom that i can hopefully pass on one day like tonight's Olympic torch :D
By Life Absolute Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:33 am
Lampdog wrote:People want hotswappable so they can snatch out the card anytime they want, simple.
I don't know what else it is your looking for, that's all there is too it.

I want to hear someone's experience with using a non hot swappable cf card reader.
By sorinp Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:12 pm
I don't think there's much to say... you save your stuff, power down, remove your card, put it your new one and reboot. Yes there are a few extra steps but it's not the end of the world.

I think we've become a society so used to instant gratification that it has almost made us lazy (not you Life Absolute). Everything is spoon fed to us. We want everything fast and right now, there's no time to waste... it has to be instant 1-minute oatmeal cuz I don't have that 5 minutes to cook it! LOL

Non-swappable is really not a big issue in my opinion. Certainly not the deal breaker. Just be glad you have—or will be getting—a cf card reader!!! That's the big time-saver right there.