Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By SimonInAustralia Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:13 am
impeezie2k wrote:Yo i know this is an old thread but im going to try this mod on the weekend. Anyone know if i can just split a 50pin scsi ribbon cable into pairs of two and solder them onto the back of the 25pin internal port to avoid using the 25 to 50pin converter?

Sure, all the convertor does is connect the correct pins from the 50 pin connector to the correct pins on the 25 pin connector.

Possibly not just a matter of twisting the wires into pairs, you need to make sure that the pins are connected to wires they should be.
By SimonInAustralia Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:54 am
impeezie2k wrote:So pin 1&2 of the 50pin ribbon would connect to the 1st pin the of the 25pin external and so forth right?

Wrong.

Every second pin on the 50 wire SCSI ribbon cable is connected to ground, except for pin 25 which is left open. Twisting each pair of wires together would short all the SCSI signals to ground, it is not going to work. Also, the order of the data signals carried on the pins is not the same, they have completely different pinouts.

Look for pinout diagrams for both the SCSI signals on a DB25 connector, and on an IDC50 connector, and workout exactly which wires on the 50 pin cable need to be connected to which wires on the DB25 connector.

Something like this for the DB25...
http://www.connectworld.net/scsi.html

...and this for the IDC50...
http://pinouts.ru/HD/ScsiInternal_pinout.shtml
By JVC Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:12 pm
impeezie2k wrote:Yo i know this is an old thread but im going to try this mod on the weekend. Anyone know if i can just split a 50pin scsi ribbon cable into pairs of two and solder them onto the back of the 25pin internal port to avoid using the 25 to 50pin converter?

peace

No, like Simon stated, mapping 25pin to 50pin is a bit complicated. It is easier (therefore much less likely to make error) to use 25 to 50pin adapter.

But, from my experience, considering all the effort (time and money), you wouldn't gain much; there is no file / directory support on MPC2000 classic, and maximum partition size is less than 1GB (I think it was like 800MB) It was one of the main reason that I moved to 2000XL.

I think the best data storage solution for MPC2000 classic is to use a SCSI MO drive, and get bunch of 100MB MO disks. MO works well with old MPCs like a charm. Unlike Zip disks, MO disks are super reliable. MO drives are a bit hard to find in the US (you'll have to check eBay listings, although MO disks were very popular in Japan) MO disks are not hard to find.

Good luck!
By Kid.Berry Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:44 pm
hi add all
i try to make this mod with a delock 91640 cf reader and a AEC-7720U scsi bridge.

does somebody know the right adapter for the power supply from the old floppy port on the motherboard to the cf reader and the scsi bridge, which need a rad 2 x black and a jello cable the floppy power port on the motherboard only has 1 black and one rad cable.

much thanks to any help !
By Bain Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:00 am
Kid.Berry wrote:hi add all
i try to make this mod with a delock 91640 cf reader and a AEC-7720U scsi bridge.

does somebody know the right adapter for the power supply from the old floppy port on the motherboard to the cf reader and the scsi bridge, which need a rad 2 x black and a jello cable the floppy power port on the motherboard only has 1 black and one rad cable.

much thanks to any help !

I don't know if there is one. I search when I did my mod but I ended up having to get creative by cutting the cable and attaching it to another for the correct connections.