Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By misteraok Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:47 pm
OK so here's my story: I purchased a MCD card reader from MPCstuff about 4 months ago for the MPC 2KXL after my last zip drive broke hoping that it would be a quick and painless solution and I could quickly get back to music. I upgraded to software to v1.20 (checked version and it says "Operating system: 1.2 Jul. 15, 2004). After tons of back and forth with MPCstuff and tons of part replacements, I still have not been able to get it working.

Basically what happens is that the MCD powers up and the green light goes on but when I try to load or save, ATAPI doesn't even show up. It just goes from floppy (not recognized) to SCSI to F-ROM. I tried the jumper in both positions + totally off. I tried flipping the IDE cable both ways with two separate IDE cables. I tried three different Flash Drives (all 1GB). The current one I'm working with is a 1GB compactflash I received from MPCstuff that they say they had successfully tested in a working MCD.

I've been going back and forth with MPCstuff but they can't really offer any answers and I'm basically at my wits end with this. Have spent countless hours, have lost tons of work time and I've resorted to using Ableton as my primary sequencer (ugh). I've had this MPC for like 8 years now and I refuse to give up on it yet but I'm rrrreally going crazy at this point. I know this is probably a pretty nooby question but any suggestions at all would be appreciated.
By Blakcave Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:02 pm
Hey,

Just wondering if you have managed to solve the issue with your cf reader as I have the exact same problem right now!!!

I am also wondering what model is the cf drive you have as mine is AEUDMD4 (Addonics) which looks like this....

Peace!
By onassism Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:21 am
2KXL4life wrote:Make sure the card is already in the drive and what brand or size of card you using ?

Wait I just got a CF READER but how do I put the OS on the CF reader then?? OMG!!
I only have it on floppy??
By Blakcave Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:21 am
onassism wrote:
2KXL4life wrote:Make sure the card is already in the drive and what brand or size of card you using ?

Wait I just got a CF READER but how do I put the OS on the CF reader then?? OMG!!
I only have it on floppy??

So what happened to your cf reader then? Why now are you moving back to Zip?
By SOL Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:18 am
Blakcave wrote:Hey,

Just wondering if you have managed to solve the issue with your cf reader as I have the exact same problem right now!!!

I am also wondering what model is the cf drive you have as mine is AEUDMD4 (Addonics) which looks like this....

Peace!

HEY I HAVE THE SAME MCD I BOUGHT IT FROM THE SAME PLACE, I WAS TOLD BY TECH SUPPORT THAT THIS SAME DEVICE ( IN THIS PIC ) IS HOT SWAPPABLE FOR ONE. MY QUESTION IS IM TRYING TO FIND A POWER CABLE THAT CONNECTS TO THIS SAME DEVICE BUT ON THE OTHER END OF THAT POWER CABLE HAS THE MPC 2000XL MOTHER BOARD CONNECTOR. HOW DID YOU CONNECT YOURS? HELP ME OUT
By Lampdog Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:47 am
Back when I got my 2kxlse2 it had floppy. I then got zip, much later mcd. With the zip and mcd I did the same thing, I cut and used the floppy power cable that attached to the motherboard and the other side was spliced with mcd power cable that attached to the mcd side. I had to do it myself.

One side was motherboard side from original floppy and other side of pwr cable was mcd.

Some mcd's will require red or yellow or both. My original floppy cable had all three going to motherboard and on mcd side I just used whichever the mcd needed and electric tape wrapped whatever I didn't use.

Yellow: +12V
Red: +5V
Black: Ground