Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By fredwagner Thu May 31, 2012 2:50 am
Just got an MPC2000 with the Envision screen on it. There is some glitching, and I did get one blankout, but hitting 'Main Screen' fixed it. All in all not a huge deal but I will be sending it in for a re-flash once they've got it super-stable.

It it possible that some of the decoupling caps for the display control are too far out of spec on some of these machines having major display problems? The oldest MPC2000s are now 15 years old...
By fredwagner Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:57 pm
Has anyone had a display that was locking up (though the MPC kept running), then sent the display back to have it reflashed/replaced, then the display they got back works better?

My hope is that, at least, my total lockup problems can be alleviated. Apparently the display I've got is already the "updated" one, since there is no mpcstuff splash screen.
By szr Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:44 am
Well the one I have is the 2nd one... also without a splash screen.... Works better than the first in every way except... upon powering up it occasionally will show nothing on the screen.. maybe that's what you mean with blankout...on mine it basically looks like the initializing of the LCD fails... but like what you describe the MPC is not locked up... in my case a reboot does the trick.
I made a vid and sent it to envision, so they can figure out whats wrong, if what you experience is different you should do the same.
By ntalec Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:45 pm
szr wrote:...on mine it basically looks like the initializing of the LCD fails... but like what you describe the MPC is not locked up... in my case a reboot does the trick.

That's actually worse than the first ones.
The first ones never failed on boot they would have problems with garbled screens or the MPCStuff logo coming up when in use.
Under both conditions the functions of the unit still worked just the display would go offline.

Failing at boot is a new problem.
By szr Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:59 pm
I meant that once it's running, it works much better ;)
Soon it's time for the mpc-forums tournament for fastest LCD reinstalls.... I'll take part in the XL with output expansion race (that has to be unscrewed everytime too :evil:)
The only thing that gets me is that there was never even an apology for all the hassle, and cost for postage.. which is not cheap Ireland to US.. Have to pay for this a second time now? For being an unappreciated beta tester / "power user"
By fredwagner Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:31 pm
I've already taken a little 3.5 sticky label and written down the key-sequence for "Save All Sequences and Songs" and "Save All Programs", and stuck it on the back of the MPC2000.

My suspicion is that they're focusing their energies on developing the new edition of displays now, and there may yet be some minor improvements to this "generation", but that "version 2" is going to be the truly stable one. In other words: I think this batch is always going to be a little wonky.

Barring some miraculous improvement in stability, I'll probably just live with this one until the newest one comes out.

I would still be interested in having an earlier question answered: could the aging of decoupling capacitors in the MPC's existing display circuitry be partially to blame for unstable performance on some people's displays? It sounds like the developers are having trouble replicating it, but maybe their test units just happen to be in better electrical shape.
By fredwagner Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:53 am
After discussing with Envision, I was persuaded to send it back to MPCStuff for an RMA return. Envision said it sounded like a problem with the Display and NOT with the MPC.

MPCStuff received it, tested it, and according to them it works fine. But, I'm absolutely certain it was *not* working fine on my machine, which otherwise is completely stable.

Has anybody run across any other troubleshooting/fixes that makes these displays more stable?

Thanks...
By gangreen Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:01 pm
Sorry to bring this up but what's the latest on these MPC 2000xl screens from envision. I purchased one a bit ago and haven't gotten around to installing it, should I be sending it back to MPCSTUFF for a software update?
By szr Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:27 pm
Not sure if there will be more updates. I didn't want a refund on mine, as even with it sometimes not working on the first boot.... it's still alot better than the original line filled cr*p I was dealing with before.

Question is which version have you got.... If it's the latest firmware.. (sign for that is that it doesn't have the mpcstuff boot logo)
I'd install it, see if you're happy with it.
By inflict3 Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:38 pm
whats the deal with these screens???? i would like to invest in one of these, but they are outta stock at mpcstuff.. any info on these, are the guys still developing em????
By m56p87 Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:29 pm
inflict3 wrote:whats the deal with these screens???? i would like to invest in one of these, but they are outta stock at mpcstuff.. any info on these, are the guys still developing em????

They are supposed to be dropping the v2 batch any day now, with VGA output support and no more lagging/glitching. But the release date is very fluid right now...
By inflict3 Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:30 pm
m56p87 wrote:
inflict3 wrote:whats the deal with these screens???? i would like to invest in one of these, but they are outta stock at mpcstuff.. any info on these, are the guys still developing em????

They are supposed to be dropping the v2 batch any day now, with VGA output support and no more lagging/glitching. But the release date is very fluid right now...

lol.. yea, i just got an email back from mike of mpcstuff, he said the same thing, although he didnt mention the vga!! :shock: that would be sick!! but if not im cool!!
By m56p87 Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:36 pm
inflict3 wrote:
m56p87 wrote:

lol.. yea, i just got an email back from mike of mpcstuff, he said the same thing, although he didnt mention the vga!! :shock: that would be sick!! but if not im cool!!

I pre ordered my v2 screen from bignoisempc, If you go on their site they mention "VGA support". But I'm very curious as to how they will implement it... Unless the wire is thin as thread, your only option would be to hack a **** hole in your mpc. But I'm just hyped about new screens period as well.
By m56p87 Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:42 pm
Just got some bad news regarding the envision v2 screens. In so many words the manufacturer has to completely scrap and start over, something about using a classic and not xl for programming and production of the replacement screens. It seems like these could be a long way out, so I copped a refund. I wouldn't be suprised if its anther year until release. I feel bad for anybody with a dead machine, mine is just the backlight.
By mr_debauch Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:38 pm
Much respect to envision for getting the screen made that we all saw... that is further than other people who attempted got...

but maybe his ego and cocky-ness was a bit too high.. im sure if he realized the quirks this lcd design has to the full extent he knows now.... he may have held off on acting so smart.. :lol: even if he is.