Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By mr_debauch Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:41 am
ahh, I suppose... those black bars looked pretty solid though.

now what is the next step? knowing how to produce a replica is great however will it be possible to invest on a shipment of screens followed by selling at a cheap price? I mean I am not trying to sound negative but I know just like the next person that replacement displays are very hard to come by so what is stopping sellers from taking advantage of that fact... also the other thing I have on my mind is... having the displays cheaper then they currently are yet still expensive would put most people in the same position they are in now ya know what I mean?

I dont doubt you guys can do it and make it happen... I am just curious on a ball park price, and curious to know when we will get to know. We are talking about this upgrade today so I think we should get to know roughly how far away this actually is.
By concepts Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:07 pm
envisionelec wrote:The next step was to talk to the MPC display from an IDE. An IDE is an integrated development environment. It's basically a device that will emulate hardware used to communicate with peripherals. Provided that you have enough I/O and documentation, you can talk to anything digital. The real test was emulating the data produced in the MPC to drive the LCD, graphically. This would prove that we were on the right track to reproducing the display. On Dec 6th, 2010, we initialized and displayed our first data on the MPC display.

Is it possible to use this "technology" to update the OS?
By envisionelec Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:43 pm
mr_debauch wrote:ahh, I suppose... those black bars looked pretty solid though.

now what is the next step? knowing how to produce a replica is great however will it be possible to invest on a shipment of screens followed by selling at a cheap price? I mean I am not trying to sound negative but I know just like the next person that replacement displays are very hard to come by so what is stopping sellers from taking advantage of that fact... also the other thing I have on my mind is... having the displays cheaper then they currently are yet still expensive would put most people in the same position they are in now ya know what I mean?

I dont doubt you guys can do it and make it happen... I am just curious on a ball park price, and curious to know when we get to know. We are talking about this upgrade today so I think we should get to know roughly how far away this actually is.

1. I am not setting the price; it will be ultimately determined by the dealer. It will be less than the VST refurb price, but not substantially so. Pricing isn't arbitrarily set; it's determined by market conditions. The price will fairly reflect demand.

2. I don't have to post any progress. I'm letting you guys watch the development process because I want to. The process takes several months to complete so you need to understand that first and foremost.

3. I am a business man. I take calculated risks which, combined with experience, pays off. In other words, I am willing to put money into a relatively unknown outcome to learn what my design strengths and weaknesses are. I believe strongly that we'll be completely successful with this project.

4. I need you guys to pay closer attention to what you're seeing here. I'm not demonstrating the prototypes in the video I posted...this is the old akai display in the video. There will be no doubt when the new ones arrive. Prototypes are set to arrive in 6 weeks.

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean by "what is stopping sellers from taking advantage of that fact..." The screens are being manufactured by my company in the USA. The components are made in Asia. There is no chance that the asian factory has our design plans - so the screens cannot be copied until I decide to sell off that portion of my business. You can look at my design all you want, but will never be able to copy the locked code in our controller.

EDIT: I think I understand what you mean. What is stoppin sellers from undercutting my price? Well, the original display is vastly inferior, obsolete and difficult to obtain. That sets its price very high...nobody wants to gut a working machine for the display and then sell the display for less than a new one costs. It's all in economics. We will have the flexibility to set pricing based on units purchased, market demand and semi-annual sales figures. It is a science...we already have a good idea where the pricing will be and where it will go. But this isn't public information. ;)
By envisionelec Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:53 pm
concepts wrote:
envisionelec wrote:The next step was to talk to the MPC display from an IDE. An IDE is an integrated development environment. It's basically a device that will emulate hardware used to communicate with peripherals. Provided that you have enough I/O and documentation, you can talk to anything digital. The real test was emulating the data produced in the MPC to drive the LCD, graphically. This would prove that we were on the right track to reproducing the display. On Dec 6th, 2010, we initialized and displayed our first data on the MPC display.

Is it possible to use this "technology" to update the OS?

No, not directly.
By picalo32 Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:01 pm
After your done with the Mpc screens are you going to do replacements for other manufactures :?: Such as Roland or Ensoniq?
By mr_debauch Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:02 pm
what I meant was... what is stopping the sellers from keeping the price reasonable... especially when there aren't any other real options?.
By popboy466 Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:13 pm
Hey all the other chat is cool but all I care about are the screens.Please post out when your done and where we can pick one up!!If the thing works well and the price is good I'll dance at your wedding :D GOOD JOB
By envisionelec Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:31 am
mr_debauch wrote:what I meant was... what is stopping the sellers from keeping the price reasonable... especially when there aren't any other real options?.

Well, if they want to sell displays and not keep high stock levels, they'll set the price fairly.
By envisionelec Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:32 am
picalo32 wrote:After your done with the Mpc screens are you going to do replacements for other manufactures :?: Such as Roland or Ensoniq?

Only if they're impossible to find. Send me a PM.
By ZeHa Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:50 am
Just a quick question out of curiosity (didn't want to open a new thread):
Is the screen problem more common on the MPC2000 or equally common on the MPC2000XL? Because I heard it's (at least partially) temperature-related, and since the XL's screen can be tilted, isn't it less prone to these kind of problems then (at least in general)?
By concepts Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:20 am
envisionelec wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:what I meant was... what is stopping the sellers from keeping the price reasonable... especially when there aren't any other real options?.

Well, if they want to sell displays and not keep high stock levels, they'll set the price fairly.

exactly, im sure whoevers going to sell these screens will not want the storage cost due to the high invintory. also im sure they will know that once the new screens are release, it will be easier for competitor to enter the market, so it would be smart for them to establish their brand loyalty. that is asuming that the new design is more simple to duplicate.
By envisionelec Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:17 am
ZeHa wrote:Just a quick question out of curiosity (didn't want to open a new thread):
Is the screen problem more common on the MPC2000 or equally common on the MPC2000XL? Because I heard it's (at least partially) temperature-related, and since the XL's screen can be tilted, isn't it less prone to these kind of problems then (at least in general)?

I don't have the answer to that. It's plausible that the tilting shakes things up a bit more, but I would suspect it's less than the constant tapping, slapping and banging the machine gets during normal use. ;)
By envisionelec Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:25 am
concepts wrote:
envisionelec wrote:

exactly, im sure whoevers going to sell these screens will not want the storage cost due to the high invintory. also im sure they will know that once the new screens are release, it will be easier for competitor to enter the market, so it would be smart for them to establish their brand loyalty. that is asuming that the new design is more simple to duplicate.

The new design will not be easier to duplicate. It's actually harder than the original in some respects. Even if you were to buy the same hardware and copy the circuit board, you'd still have to program it using our code.

The market is locked down to ONE dealer. There won't be competition for a while.
By mr_debauch Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:58 am
envisionelec wrote:
ZeHa wrote:Just a quick question out of curiosity (didn't want to open a new thread):

I don't have the answer to that. It's plausible that the tilting shakes things up a bit more, but I would suspect it's less than the constant tapping, slapping and banging the machine gets during normal use. ;)

well I think the general theme seems to be that the classic 2000 suffers from this sooner due to heat collecting under the screen... another thing that seems to be believed is that leaving the machine on for long periods of time, shutting it down, then back on for long periods.. like things that make large temperature differences seems to encourage the lines. Keep in mind no scientific study was made but this seems to be the general opinion when looking at the conditions the effected machines were in and all that.

I think it doesn't even matter at this point, if a new set of screens came out any way you look at it, it will be adding another potential decade to the lifespan.