Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By CAPO816 Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:57 pm
Hello Everybody Im having trouble finding any talks or info on here about MPC heads Using The Dp-01fx cd to Multitrack Record from their MPC's Im Having A hard Time Trying to Learn The Machine i have the manual and i look through it everyday but i still need help understanding how to record, like an intro then my verses ect. i have 4 sequences im trying to record into the tascam but i dont know how to record pieces like sequence 1 then 2 and 3 ect. because my drums change from seq 1 to seq. 2 and if i track the drums out seperatley and then i want to change the pattern for sequence 2 how do i do this? in the end i want to put the recordings together for one long piece or song, any help would be appreciated thanks again.
By CAPO816 Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:29 pm
Yes i can do that but if i want to add effects to the drums seperatley how would i do this? like i said my drum pattern changes from like sequence 1 to sequence 2 like the kick will drop out and back in and hit in different spots than in seq. 1.
thanks for your reply.
By Lampdog Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:08 am
Effects, do you have them in your multitrack recorder, add them there.
Do you have an effects board EB16 in your 2kxl? If not, you are stuck with looking for outboard effects.
By CAPO816 Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:23 am
yo lampdog thanks but i think i got everyone confused
with my hard to express situation, lol.
i got my beat in sequence 1 with drums and everything, i go to record i got the sample on tracks 1 and 2 my drums on 3, 4, 5, 6 ect. after im done recording the sequence, i want to record my second sequence and in my second one the sample changes and my drum pattern changes also like i said the kick will start hitting more times than in seq. 1.
so my question is if i already recorded my first part how would i record my second sequence in the DP-01FX without having a gap between the end of the first recording and the start of the second one, can i record seperate pieces and then join them together? thanks and sorry for the confusion, im still studying this manual hard. :cry:
By billynojokes Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:07 am
well i think your missing the point of SONG mode .....

you should make your whole beat first seq 1, 2, 3 ...... and so on. then you go into song mode and arrange the sequnces in the order you want the to play. this way the mpc will switch sequences automatically with out interrupting the loop so when you go to record on your tascam your beat will be one continuous track with no "gaps"

i think thats what your asking ????
By CAPO816 Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:08 pm
@billynojokes @*Pilchard* yes ur both right i can do that
but when i record on the tascam i track my beats out i dont record all on one track
because when i go to mix on the tascam i can mix the seperate tracks and add effects to the drums one by one. if i record from song mode ill record the whole beat on one track of the dp-01 and i cant add effects seperatley it will affect the whole song.
did i make more sense? thanks for everyones replies i appreciate it.
By Lampdog Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:28 pm
You can track out in song mode just like you can in seq mode.

Separation of tracks is done via 8 outs.

If you end up with more than 8 tracks in mpc, then maybe make one pass recording 8 tracks, afterwards mute those first sounds and assign new sounds to the 8 outs again and make another recording pass in the Tascam. You'll end up with 16 tracks recorded into the Tascam.
By CAPO816 Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:51 pm
ohhhhhhhhhhhh wOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW didint know that! gosh man guys thanks alot no wonder you guys were saying song mode. duH! i didint know you can track out from there. man u guys are the best thanks alot im gonna go home and try this tonight! thanks again
By Lampdog Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:40 am
And of course you know you can set more than 1 mono sample on an out.

kick/snr/closed hhat all on out1 mono. All you have to do is mute the others and then make another recording pass with the next sample while muting the others.

You gotta know the capabilities of your gear before you can exploit them, also sprinkle some imagination on top and your set..

Remember:

When you track a stereo sample the mixer will ONLY let you choose stereo pairs of outs, 1/2 - 3/4 - 5/6 - 7/8

When you track a mono sample the mixer will let you choose
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8.

To align the 1-8 and 9-16 tracks in your Tascam you can sync MMC or record a 1 bar click in front of everything and then later you just line up the clicks on every track and there you have your tracks all lined up.
By CAPO816 Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:32 pm
@ Jim Beats Hey thanks man i will for sure, i appreciate you reaching out and to all the others especially Lamp Dog always Comin thru.

@ Jim Beats do you have any beats recorded on the tascam that i can listen to? thanks
By candelac Tue May 30, 2017 1:30 am
I have an MPC2000 classic and Tascam DP01. I'm having an issue when tracking out beats. When I go back for a second pass my samples lag. I'm using midi out clock on the DP01 and syncing in midi clock to the MPC. I know the midi tempo on the DP01 only goes to whole numbers....could this be the issue?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated .