Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:09 pm
Cheers man, just purchased it so fingers crossed it should be all good but will keep everyone posted when it arrives sometime in the middle of next week. Also just picked up a brand new 5 pack of Maxell 230MB Re-Writeable Discs for £10 quid including postage.

Just researching what type of power supply I need for the drive but any ideas on the best place to find a enclose case to house it all in without paying an arm and leg?
By Harmoncj Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:44 pm
Psychedelic Schizophrenic wrote:
Does anyone know would this work with the 2K? Also apart from power supply, 230mb M.O Discs, SCSI cable and a housing case, is there anything else I've missed to get it set-up?
[/color]

you should consult this thread, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=175596
I'm about to do this same mod hopefully this weekend if I can get ahead on some other work. I like this idea because you can test it out before soldering.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:56 pm
Many thanks for the thread link Harmoncj, will check that out :smoker:
By distortedtekno Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:21 am
Psychedelic Schizophrenic wrote:Cheers man, just purchased it so fingers crossed it should be all good but will keep everyone posted when it arrives sometime in the middle of next week. Also just picked up a brand new 5 pack of Maxell 230MB Re-Writeable Discs for £10 quid including postage.

Just researching what type of power supply I need for the drive but any ideas on the best place to find a enclose case to house it all in without paying an arm and leg?

Nice deal with the disks. :nod:

These drives use the 5 pin molex connectors for power that you'd find in a PC power supply. If you're going to do the internal mod, just cut the wire for the floppy drive power and splice in a molex connector from a junk power supply.

If you're gonna go for the external enclosure instead, try looking for an external SCSI CD-ROM drive in non working condition and swap it out with the MO drive. It's usually much cheaper than just an external enclosure.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:38 pm
Cheers mate I was really, really lucky with the disks there was literally newly listed for about a minute before I snapped them up :-D

Well my internal SCSI 3.5 inch 1.3GB Fujitsu MCE3130SS turned up this afternoon and the MPC 2000 turned up yesterday but I can't do much at the moment as the seller accidentally forgot to pack the power lead for the 2000 :Sigh: :WTF:

So as soon as it turns up and I can fully test the M.O. Drive and report back that it works as I'm going to leave it set-up as an external drive while I patiently wait for a cheap SCSI CD-Rom Drive in non working state that I can swap out.

Definitely a 100 percent going to do the internal drive mod as well, if the above external drive works then I can cop another one then copy the OS over to a M.O. disc and bin the redundant floppy drive.
By distortedtekno Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:45 pm
Make sure the MPC is not powered up while connecting the SCSI drive or you'll blow the fuse.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:42 pm
Thanks for the tip distortedtekno, it's much appreciated :worthy:
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:14 pm
Cheers man it's all ordered :-D The external SCSI enclosure will be here hopefully by the beginning of next week, so I can setup, test and hopefully report back that it works :smoker:
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:01 pm
Just a quick mini update, everything has arrived but unfortunately work has been super hectic but hoping to get 5 minutes over the weekend to hook everything up and hopefully confirm that 3.5 inch 1.3GB Fujitsu MCE3130SS drive works.
By distortedtekno Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:27 pm
Psychedelic Schizophrenic wrote:Just a quick mini update, everything has arrived but unfortunately work has been super hectic but hoping to get 5 minutes over the weekend to hook everything up and hopefully confirm that 3.5 inch 1.3GB Fujitsu MCE3130SS drive works.

Cool. Hit me up if you got any questions. You're gonna need the manual for that drive as well in order to set the jumpers correctly. I'm sure it'll work right out of the box. But you're gonna want to set your SCSI ID and sleep mode to acivate after 30 minutes of idle time in order to preserve it 's lifespan.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:43 pm
distortedtekno wrote:Cool. Hit me up if you got any questions. You're gonna need the manual for that drive as well in order to set the jumpers correctly. I'm sure it'll work right out of the box. But you're gonna want to set your SCSI ID and sleep mode to acivate after 30 minutes of idle time in order to preserve it 's lifespan.

Cheers dude, thanks for the offer :worthy: Everything is as I've left it :oops: as I still haven't had time to get round to doing it but hopefully will get it done this week.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:10 pm
Sorry for the long hiatus on the progress of the M.O. drive that I purchased but to cut a long story short I ended up copping a non hot-swappable CF reader for next to nothing (20 pound plus shipping) on eBay at the end of August. The seller listed it as parts as it wasn't work apparently but it turned out just to be loose power cable and ribbon cable inside.

Hopefully got a project lined up with a friend so the non hot-swapable CF reader won't be ideal to use in the studio, so the M.O. drive would be a better option for loading up multiple beats for this project. This evening I decided to fire up the 3.5 inch 1.3GB Fujitsu MCE3130SS drive that I purchased and I can confirm that it works perfectly with the 2000 :-D

Had to dismantle the CF reader as my original enclosure I purchased for the M.O. Drive as was to big for the drive.

Here's some photos

Looking forward to getting to setup fully soon :smoker:

By tapedeck Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:16 pm
Hopefully got a project lined up with a friend so the non hot-swapable CF reader won't be ideal to use in the studio, so the M.O. drive would be a better option for loading up multiple beats for this project.

i can tell you in practice this is almost never a problem. i have a hotswap, but i rarely use it like that, i just leave mine in all the time.
if you get even a 1gb card, divided over 32mb a piece max for memory of the mpc, that's a ton of material to work with on one disk. thats like 30 full-mpc memory capacities on one disk.

if you get like 2gb or 4, 8, 16gb - you've really got a lot of room to work with.

as long as your not going back and forth between your computer - just dump all the files on it first, and then dont put it back into the computer til you need to.

i think you've done a good thing - good job.