Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By matiasmatias Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:51 pm
Hi brothers

I was looking for some help here. Im trying to emulate, or to get that moodymann mpc vibe but obviously its getting hard, but i'm quite near.

I'been listening a lot of moodymann latly to catch his way of producing and i realize how many changes he makes mixing and adding drums by only fading and to suddenly change song to another type of song. So…..i have my mpc with the outputs expansion and I'm sampling everything in stereo, so if i want to go to an external mixer to make those fading changes i need like 3000000 channel mixer !!!!! I think i'm getting a little bit lost, any help on how can i mix manually so many stereo samples no the fly?

Saludos !
By SEMS Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:42 pm
Not sure entirely what you're looking for. Most of the tracks I've heard from him are fairly straightforward. MPC, a few other bits & a multitrack recorder. Maybe if you had some examples or a more specific question?
By matiasmatias Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:18 pm
MrDismal wrote:Wouldn't all the change ups be done after tracking each track in to your DAW? Would be a ton load easier.

yes, i know but I'm trying to avoid that. To save everything and to go to the daw and via controller manipulate each channel but i m trying to keep the computer only for recording (next month buying a tape recorder).

I'll have to go with an external mixer and recorded directly
By Wallace Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:14 pm
matiasmatias wrote:
MrDismal wrote:Wouldn't all the change ups be done after tracking each track in to your DAW? Would be a ton load easier.

yes, i know but I'm trying to avoid that. To save everything and to go to the daw and via controller manipulate each channel but i m trying to keep the computer only for recording (next month buying a tape recorder).

I'll have to go with an external mixer and recorded directly

Sample in mono. Use few sounds, send some sounds to the stereo outs. Mix down things in the mpc a little bit first. Add a rack sampler and do the same, you'll need a 16 track desk.
By tapedeck Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:48 pm
matiasmatias wrote:... so if i want to go to an external mixer to make those fading changes i need like 3000000 channel mixer !!!!!

:hmmm:
with the 8 outputs you'd need an 8 channel mixer. :shock:

you also dont have to use all 8 - i find 4 is usually enough.
By matiasmatias Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:52 pm
tapedeck wrote:
matiasmatias wrote:... so if i want to go to an external mixer to make those fading changes i need like 3000000 channel mixer !!!!!

:hmmm:
with the 8 outputs you'd need an 8 channel mixer. :shock:

you also dont have to use all 8 - i find 4 is usually enough.

Yes, i understand but I'm sampling 8, 9 stereo samples, so thats why i'm kind of lost…...
By peeping tom Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:41 am
question is, do your 8 or 9 stereo samples NEED to be in stereo?

They might be identical on each side.......

group things can help
No reason why you cant have two or three diff sounds coming out of the same outputs, just track them separate,

do your fading changes in the box, re-sample your track and apply a fade in audiotracks.

Could also copy the program and actually manually lower the volume where you want fades.

be creative!

It could all be done using stereo outs, just a bit of creative thinking is needed inside the mpc
By matiasmatias Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:41 pm
peeping tom wrote:question is, do your 8 or 9 stereo samples NEED to be in stereo?

group things can help
No reason why you cant have two or three diff sounds coming out of the same outputs, just track them separate,

do your fading changes in the box, re-sample your track and apply a fade in audiotracks.

Could also copy the program and actually manually lower the volume where you want fades.

be creative!

It could all be done using stereo outs, just a bit of creative thinking is needed inside the mpc

yes I'm sampling ins stereo, sample that are different on each side…..I can't believe is "difficult" to get those samples out, nobody is sampling 6, 7 stereo samples??? i really don't get it.
By tapedeck Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:03 pm
matiasmatias wrote:yes I'm sampling ins stereo, sample that are different on each side…..I can't believe is "difficult" to get those samples out, nobody is sampling 6, 7 stereo samples??? i really don't get it.

no, not really. alot of people sample and then use those mono, adding stereo later using panning and fx.

still - my point stands, with the 8 out card, you still just need an 8 channel mixer - however many stereo samples you use still has to work with those 8 outs. :mrgreen:
By matiasmatias Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:10 pm
tapedeck wrote:
matiasmatias wrote:yes I'm sampling ins stereo, sample that are different on each side…..I can't believe is "difficult" to get those samples out, nobody is sampling 6, 7 stereo samples??? i really don't get it.

no, not really. alot of people sample and then use those mono, adding stereo later using panning and fx.

still - my point stands, with the 8 out card, you still just need an 8 channel mixer - however many stereo samples you use still has to work with those 8 outs. :mrgreen:

jajajjaaj thats true. Could you help me to understand a little bit more?

I sample stereo loops since i make jams. I take one loop from a record that has a kick, a bass (may there is a hihat too), another loop that has hihats, another for pads, like 3 fx from other records, some stereo noises, some back bar talking effects…. and i jam live and record. I want to take this samples to an external mixer so i can fade on the fly only muting is not enough for what i want. My issue is how i can't take those stereo samples to an external mixer????? those sample are stereo i would not like to make them mono
By Wallace Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:57 pm
matiasmatias wrote:
peeping tom wrote:question is, do your 8 or 9 stereo samples NEED to be in stereo?

group things can help

be creative!

yes I'm sampling ins stereo, sample that are different on each side…..I can't believe is "difficult" to get those samples out, nobody is sampling 6, 7 stereo samples??? i really don't get it.

First, get the idea out of your head that every sound needs to be stereo. By all means, use stereo sounds but in fact they don't need to be. Mono sounds panned slightly is what works well. Many guys who produce club music make completely mono mixes because it sounds better in the club.

My advice, I'm a nobody, but I'll give it anyway. Pick one sound that you want to take centre stage and use it in stereo. Make everything else mono and pan slightly. Bass, kick and other drums will work well as mono. Clap and snare can work well stereo. Interesting lead, vocal things can work stereo. If absolutely eveything has a stereo field, you track will sound weak as ****.

Ymmv
By MrDismal Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:32 am
I agree with Wallace. The only stereo sounds I use is the main sample chops or loop. Kick, bass should be mono anyway since they are lower frequencies. This will free up lots of your outputs.
By peeping tom Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:34 am
tbh the mono beats i make in the s900 sound better than the stereo samples in my mpc.
By matiasmatias Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:09 am
Wallace wrote:
matiasmatias wrote:

group things can help

be creative!

Bass, kick and other drums will work well as mono. Clap and snare can work well stereo. Interesting lead, vocal things can work stereo.

Ymmv

I'm making jams with loops, i dont use track for a kick, a track for a snare, a track for a clap…. the samples i use have kicks, hihats, maybe the bass is included..other may have other elements too…most of them are stereo.

you think i can pan a little a sample that has a kick a bass and a hihat ? or that has a kick, congas and hihats? panning this sample slightly? mmmm…. i'm not quire sure….maybe I'm wrong...