Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By JVC Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:28 pm
Maybe I am too dumb but what do you mean by choping the sample and sequence it?

For instance, if you want to loop a drum break which is just one bar (like Amen break), rather than looping one sample, break the sample up to a few samples (chopping the sample) and assign the chopped samples to pads, and then sequence them in one bar sequence.
By Lampdog Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:12 pm
It means don't use loop mode.

Just chop the sample.

Sequence it and let the sequence come back around to play the sample again which essentially makes it loop around. THAT, is using the sequencer and not loop mode. Chop small, let the sequencer do it's own looping, adjust bpm or go into each sample and adjust tune up or down. Like I said, it's a balancing act every way you go about doing this loop.
By mikkemikke Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:46 am
JVC wrote:
Maybe I am too dumb but what do you mean by choping the sample and sequence it?

For instance, if you want to loop a drum break which is just one bar (like Amen break), rather than looping one sample, break the sample up to a few samples (chopping the sample) and assign the chopped samples to pads, and then sequence them in one bar sequence.

Question: Why would you chop the Amen break up in pieces? You could just chop it so it fits one bar and trigger it everytime on the first beat. Or am I not getting what you mean?
By tapedeck Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:52 pm
mikkemikke wrote:
JVC wrote:For instance, if you want to loop a drum break which is just one bar (like Amen break), rather than looping one sample, break the sample up to a few samples (chopping the sample) and assign the chopped samples to pads, and then sequence them in one bar sequence.

Question: Why would you chop the Amen break up in pieces? You could just chop it so it fits one bar and trigger it everytime on the first beat. Or am I not getting what you mean?

yes, you're not getting it.
if you dont chop it, then you can only play it back from the beginning, at the same speed, and you have to wait for it to finish all the way through every time.
if you chop it up, you can rearrange it, you can (to an extent) change the tempo, and you can stop it at any of those chops.
the whole point of this thread is why chopping is a good idea, and how not chopping it leads to the problems described.

you can of course NOT chop it and just trigger it every time, but it just leaves you with less flexibility.
By Wal Martian Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:19 pm
tapedeck wrote:if you dont chop it, then you can only play it back from the beginning, at the same speed, and you have to wait for it to finish all the way through every time.

To avoid having it play all the way through you can set it to Note Off or on 2K classic jump to trim screen and back to main (stops all sounds) or on xl I think you double tap stop?
By Lampdog Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:17 pm
Wal Martian wrote:xl I think you double tap stop?

Yep, MIDI PANIC is what that is.

Stops notes.
By tapedeck Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:54 am
Lampdog wrote:
Wal Martian wrote:xl I think you double tap stop?

Yep, MIDI PANIC is what that is.

Stops notes.

i swear on the xl tho it doesnt work that good. it might stop the midi but it wont stop the sound if its playing.
i remember when i got on an 1k and it actually worked i was like hallelujah! :mrgreen:

point being - chop yer samples, play them back in by ear is how i would do it.
By Lampdog Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:52 pm
I swear I just did this a couple of days ago on 2kxl. I'll do it again tonight.
I did it on MPC4k a couple of nights ago too and it works. Again, gonna check again tonight.

Not a big experiment at all, but I'm just curious now and wanna remember correctly.
By tapedeck Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:18 pm
Lampdog wrote:I swear I just did this a couple of days ago on 2kxl. I'll do it again tonight.
I did it on MPC4k a couple of nights ago too and it works. Again, gonna check again tonight.

Not a big experiment at all, but I'm just curious now and wanna remember correctly.

yea i'm with you on that.

i keep the 1000 ready at all times these days, so not something i'll get to checking right away.

actual pic of lamp and his xl