Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By audiofile Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:55 am
I just bought a MPC 2000XL, OS v1.2, CF card reader. Also has 8 out and FX board.

Got a San Disk CF card, SDCFHS-008G. Formatted on MPC. Transferred .wav files from Windows 7 PC onto card. Loading .wav's on MPC and then creating and saving sounds, programs, sequences, songs all works fine, but I get a "Disk Write Error" (on MPC) whenever attempting to overwrite any type of file.

Is this more likely a problem with the card, or drive, or something else? I checked all pins going to CF drive are fine. Any suggestions on how to fix would be much appreciated!

:hmmm:
By audiofile Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:00 pm
So actually, the situation is slightly different from above - disk read/write errors do only seem to happen when doing a save and "replace existing file" operation, but sometimes these are successful. I tried a number of variations on loading .wav files and/or sequence/program/song data and then saving...ultimately the point is that at some point down the line I get a "Disk Read Error" or "Disk Write Error" when saving data using Replace. I suppose the temporary workaround is to just rename every time I save... that would be pretty lame.

I tried formatting the CF card in Windows as opposed to the MPC, and doing the same steps as described earlier. I get the same errors with this.

I want to try OS v1.14 but worried that after the 'update' it wouldn't see my CF reader any longer, which would be an even bigger problem. In the meantime I suppose I'll try another CF card... anything else to try?
By Wicknykids Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:04 am
I'm having this exact issue, with the exact same cf card etc. Anyone have any thoughts??? Gonna try to get a drive I can use the SCSI plug in the back with as the only work around I can think of, hopefully that will stop it.
-Hart
By tapedeck Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:10 pm
sometimes this happens to me and the solution is to pull the card out, put it back in, and try again.

this seems to reset things.

my card reader is hot-swappable.
By Wicknykids Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:46 pm
I thought I had figured out a work-around for this issue by never replacing .APS and .ALL files (just saving them again and again with slightly different filenames and deleting the old ones later...) But today I had the same issue again just trying to save an .ALL file using this strategy. And when this problem happens I basically have to turn off my mpc to get it to work again because it is no longer reading the card - I can't just take my CF card out and put it back in, if I do that the mpc totally freezes. So I lose everything I was just trying to save... Super frustrating.

My OS is 1.2, some of my files and folders are more than 8 characters so I'm working on fixing that (this goes for folders too I'm assuming?). I'm not sure how to find out the bit or sample rate of any of my samples.

Thank you for your help
By JUKE 179r Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 pm
Check for bent pins inside your CF drive where it makes contact with your CF card.
I've seen these bent sometimes and have to perfectly straighten them out with a WD-40 straw.
By richie Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:21 pm
Yeah keep hitting your MPC when it does not electronically function as needed.