Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By hok-2 Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:48 am
Anyone know if this will work with a cf card reader and a Mpc 2000?
I'm not planning to put it inside the mpc, I've got a external scsi encloser with ahard drive in that I'd swap for a cf reader with this scsi to ide bridge.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182217122424? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I can't find any mention of that model scsi to ide bridge and a mpc 2000 so far on the web so I'm susspecting it will not work.
any advice would be appreciated, might have to get a zip drive or maybe a M.O drdive.
By distortedtekno Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:38 am
That model is LVD SCSI which would require an LVD to SCSI-1 adaptor. Even then, I have no idea if it would work on the 2000. It's not worth risking the money you'd have to spend. Since you mentioned MO drives, I totally recommend the Fujitsu drives for $29 + free shipping worldwide.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUJITSU-MCR3230SS-3-5-2-3-GB-SCSI-MAGNETO-OPTICAL-DRIVE-/142187624163?hash=item211b0af6e3:g:fG8AAOSwnNBXac9H

As for MO disks, the 2000 will read 128mb, 230mb, and 540mb disks which are 512 bytes per sector. Larger capacity disks (640mb, 1.3gb, and 2.3gb) are not compatible with the 2000 because they're 1024 and 2048 bytes per sector. Keep that in mind when buying disks. Also, use major brands only such as Maxell, TDK, Sony, Phillips, Fujitsu, Verbatim, etc.. If it's a brand you never heard of, stay away from them no matter how cheap of a deal you might find. Teijin is a brand to avoid entirely. The 2000 will give SCSI errors trying to read that brand. So stick with the brands I listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-new-Maxell-MA-M128-128MB-3-5inch-MO-optical-disks-LOW-PRICE-/361831680250?hash=item543ed948fa:g:RmIAAOxySy9SRbOz
By hok-2 Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:38 pm
Thanks for the advice, I'm in the U.k so the one you sugested would be too much hassle.
But I just bought six for £12.99 - $15.26 crazy huh?
They are MOS362E Olympos 640Mb Magneto Optical 50 Pin SCSI Drives
Anyway they might not work, sold as "untested" but hopefully at least one of them will work with either my mpc or my s3000.
I havent been able to save or load anything on the s3000 for a while now and its a pain in the arse, becouse I realy like using it.
Worth a shot, nothing ventured nothing gained etc.
I let you know how it goes...
By richie Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:49 pm
those LVD Acards tend not to work for people. I believe issues arise when attempting to use them with rewritable media of any sort, I think they were relegated for DVD-ROM usage. There is a reason why they're significantly cheaper than the sought after ones.

For the time involved and cost, you may as well source an actual SCSI card reader instead of going through all this bs.
By distortedtekno Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:10 pm
That's awesome bro. Let me know how everything works out with the S3000. Hold on to the third drive as a spare since you never know if you'll need it. Those drives you have there are from the late '90s, so it's good to have a backup. All drives fail at some point. But it's cheaper to replace an MO drive than it is to replace a CF or SD drive. Also the MO disks are a hell of a lot more durable than Zip disks. You can actually spill a drink on an MO disk, and it'll still work if you clean it properly.
Which brand disks did you end up buying?
By hok-2 Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:36 am
I went with a 230mb Sony disk.
the next step is to see if this old dude will work with a drive.

My s3000i has a internal scsi conection so hopefully I'll end up having a m.o drive in place of the floppy, just waiting for a scsi lead in the post to test it out.
Which has just arived!

The jumper setings are pretty straight forward and it didnt take long to get them working.

Also it doessn't hang or freeze like my 900mb Fred Flinstone hard drive if the i.d is wrong.

It cost me about £23 for the 3 working drives, a 230mb disk and a scsi lead.
It was a bit of a gamble buying somthing sold as "for parts" and I think I was just lucky.
Who knows they might all drop dead in the next week.
They are a lot quiter than my hard drive.
So far so good :)

For anyone else looking for a working M.O drive for thier Mpc2000 these ones make and model is: Olympus MOS362E
Might be able to pick one up cheap, or even pick 3 up for £4 each! Booyaka!
By distortedtekno Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:25 pm
Glad to see everything working. Keep your eyes peeled for more MO disks. I usually consider $5 per disk to be a good deal. Look for the 5 Packs too.

With the MPC2000, I partition all my disks for 32mb so that I have room to save large projects to match the 32mb RAM installed in the machine. So I get 4 partitions out of a 128mb disk, 8 partitions from a 230mb disk, and somewhere around 16 partitions on a 540mb disk. Remember to only use 128mb, 230mb, and 540mb disks. Anything larger won't work on the MPC as I mentioned in an earlier post.
By distortedtekno Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:05 pm
**** wrote:Yep, MO discs are fvcking great. Reliable as hell too.

Glad to hear. There's only a small handfull of us using MO disks. So it's good to hear from others for the sake of educating people that don't know about them. For old machines like the 2000 and a few of the S Series models, it's the way to go for reliability at a lower price point than a CF reader.

So for those who use their samplers primarily to sample, then theres really no need for a CF reader. The disks are reliable enough for me that I don't back up anything to a computer. If I want to, I have my old Windows XP machine with an MO drive connected through a SCSI card. That computer collects dust. 3 years of working with MO disks have been trouble-free provided that I use major brands like Maxell, Sony, etc.
By hok-2 Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:32 pm
Yeahman I'm well pleased with M.O's, especially how little noise they make.
Just a cool star wars sliding door sound.
I'm sure you can imagine what this hard drive sounds like as its taking off from the runway.
so it's a nice change from that.
Just wondering if thier is any dos and dont's I should be aware of?
I know - turn on scsi device first - then turn on sampler/ turn off sampler - then turn off scsi device.
Are their any other things to do with saving or reformating etc I should know?

It's all working great so far, I only have one disk though which is formatted for the S3000 and I am using it with that.
The mpc 2000 can read and load sounds from the S3000 disk, they show up as S1000 files but can't write mpc 2000 files to the S3000 formatted disk. Probably cus it's formated to S3000.
I havent tried it the otherway round yet as Iv'e only one disk.
I may get a scsi board for my pc an install a M.O in that, would be good to export Mpc Editor progs and samples from, its a bit time comsuming doing that to the 1.44mb limit of the USB floppy emulator I use in the mpc 2000 at the moment.
No one seems to have worked out how to make those emulators save and load from mulitple virtual disks yet, myself included.
Great that my S3000's works with the drives as well, Im going to be using that a lot now.
Anyway, so far it's all good.
By distortedtekno Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:48 pm
Yeah, gotta love the Star Wars sound. These drives are definitely quieter than hard drives. My newer model Fujitsu (2.3gb) is even more quieter than the older 230mb model I had. Both models have a sleep mode where the motor stops turning after 30 minutes. Do a Google search for the owners manual of your drive and look for jumper settings specific to sleep mode. You'll get more life out of your drive and it'll be even quieter.

As far as trying to write files on an S3000 formatted disk, just buy more disks and label which one's are formatted with the S3000 and the MPC2000. So it aint bad. You can still load files. Aside from that, it would be wiser to save on another disk anyway. The limitation will keep you better organized.

I'm not sure if the S3000 will read all the partitions of an MPC2000 disk. So you'll have to experiment with that as well when you buy more disks. Your PC will only see the first partition of an MPC2000 disk, which is why I brought that up. Plus you'll need to keep that in mind when using an MO drive with your PC. When I transfer files from my PC, I format the disk in the PC to FAT which is FAT 16. Then I use it strictly as a transfer disk and save what I want in my MPC on a newly partitioned disk. I may have had problems transferring files from the PC to an MPC formatted disk. But it's been a while. So I'm not 100% sure. You'll have to experiment when you get to that point.

Anyway, you got a good grip on things now. You're operating the drives and the MPC in the correct power up and power down order which is really important. That's one less issue with saving, loading, and preventing blown fuses in your MPC. The only advice left to offer is to format your MPC disks to partitions of 32mb in order to save the entire contents of the RAM in your MPC on one partition without running out of room since I don't believe you can save one project on two seperate partitions (hence the problem with the Gotek USB drives). As long as you get in the habit of saving your work on an empty 32mb partition, you'll never run into any issues and all your disks will be better organized. Consider partitions as folders that the 2000 never had. When a 128mb MO disk can hold 4 32mb partitions, it's pretty easy to find what you're looking for. Same with 230mb disks holding 7 or 8 partitions. 540mb disks are a bit large holding 16 32mb partitions. But it's sure a hell of a lot easier to search through than a 1-2gb hard drive or even worse, 1000 partitions on a floppy emulator. So with all that in mind, the 128mb and 230mb MO disks will speed up your workflow due to those disk sizes and the creation of partitions.
By distortedtekno Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:06 pm
This is the SCSI card I use in my PC. You can connect your external drive with the DB25 connector on back of the card and you can install an internal SCSI drive with an IDC50 cable. I have an internal MO drive installed in my PC and I can have an external SCSI device running with it at the same time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adaptec-AVA-2903B-50-Pin-SCSI-with-DB-25-Host-Bus-Adapter-HBA-PCI-Card-/221355703897?hash=item3389d3fe59:g:LBkAAOxygPtSy3V-

On a side note, I can also connect my MPC to the card and have both the MPC and the PC read and write from the MO drive installed from the mod. So the internal SCSI mod behaves similar to connecting an MPC1000 or 2500 to a PC via USB with the exception of having to have both machines connected and powered up beforehand.