Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By fatassj Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:33 pm
Hey guys, just got my first MPC, and it's the 2000XL.

Anyway, the guy had a zip drive already in the machine so I checked it out. It was working fine!

However, I think I may have accidentally set the "Device" to "SCSI0". Now I can't change it back.

What I tried:
1) Now, I can't use my cursor at all to go down to change it (the cursor is stuck at "View: All Files"). It just won't respond to go neither down, up, left, or right. The cursor buttons are usually responsive in other menus, like every 1 or 2 times it WON'T work, but within this load menu, it doesn't work at ALL!

2) I tried using the wheel to navigate, but I keep getting spammed with the message "NO SCSI DEVICE", to the point where I can't even change the "View:All Files" more than one time every 6-7 seconds due to the constant spam of the message when I try to move the scroll wheel. If I get lucky, I can change the file type, but this is pointless for my problem. I just mention this because it seems to be a similar error of unresponsiveness.

3) I tried clicking F4 to go into the "SETUP" mode (after being in the load menu) and I noticed I could change "Primary Drivers" to "ATAPI", one of the several SCSI drives, or F-ROM. I tried all of them, but how do I select them? Clicking enter does nothing... And I tried just leaving it there, but that also doesn't fix the problem! I still can't load the ZIP drive that was working before!

How the hell do I switch back to ATAPI so I can use the ZIP Drive? If there's something wrong with this item, I need to know so I can return it on eBay.. it seems that the buttons aren't responsive =/
By Wal Martian Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:43 pm
There are multiple SCSI channels, if you have no SCSI device connected and you scroll through them you will get the No SCSI Device message once for each channel 0-6. So it might seem like you are spammed with the message, but I think it's just showing it for every channel as you click the scroll wheel through. Open your MPC up and check the ATAPI connection and the termination on the zip drive.
By fatassj Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:45 pm
Wal Martian wrote:There are multiple SCSI channels, if you have no SCSI device connected and you scroll through them you will get the No SCSI Device message once for each channel 0-6. So it might seem like you are spammed with the message, but I think it's just showing it for every channel as you click the scroll wheel through. Open your MPC up and check the ATAPI connection and the termination on the zip drive.

I understand, but I cannot find a way to switch it back to ATAPI. However, I just fixed the problem. I had to change the device type from the SAVE menu in order to LOAD it, which is very counter-intuitive, and off.