Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By B Nice Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:12 pm
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-yLRD ... VFakU/view

2000XL
I've been messing with this for weeks now. I bought this internal hard drive "kit" from musicteks on ebay and can't get any help from the seller. It didn't come with cables so that was the 1st ordeal. It didn't come with jumpers for the SCA adapter, so that sucked. Right now I can get the MPC to recognize the hard drive, but i don't have the option to "do it" in the FORMAT screen. I've been looking online and getting as much info with the MPC and SCSI drives and I'm ready to give up, but too pissed that i didn't buy the card reader. If anyone has any thoughts, I would be forever thankful.
By richie Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:17 pm
First of all, f*ck musiteks. They're taking hard drives that literally cost $5 and fitting them with the SCA80 to 50 pin adapter and calling it a day. They do not do any sort of tweaking to any "standards" they claim to be bullsh*tting about.

Now, you don't need pins on the SCA adapter - the MPC is detecting it on SCSI 0 which is fine. The issue is that it does not seem to be detecting the actual hard drive size. Notice how in the upper right hand corner it shows 050M, that doesn't seem normal. If the 18gb drive was being detected right, you would also see that in the lower right hand corner, you'd have an actual partition size listed instead of 0MB.

Are there any pins on the bottom of the hard drive (not the SCA80 to 50pin adapter) that are unpopulated? There are times when you need to use a jumper pin to force the hard drive to operate in SCSI-1 mode. But this is contingent on whether or not the controller on that drive even has the option.
By B Nice Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:25 pm
I had to find the SE pins and jumper them, to get it to even recognize the drive. Originally it would power up but not be recognized. I had to get that through the hard drives literature. musicteks has been the worst through this whole thing. telling me they are sending me info to install and setup but never actually sending me anything.
I don't want to bail on the drive, only because i'm broke and can't return it, but it's not the best option. I had to hack the inside of the XL just to get it to be tightly crammed in there. I'd love to get this working, but it's driving me insane. The only reason I didn't get a Card Reader is because I want to still have the floppy drive.
By hok-2 Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:42 am
Sometimes if you cut the notch of the 50 pin cable so you can put it in reversed that can work but, try out every different configuration of jumpers settings first because it looks like you may be close.
I don't have a Xl, just a 2000 but, when I fitted a external hard drive I had to mess about with every possibly permutation of jumper setting until it worked.
Seems like quite a high capacity hard drive for such a old machine but, If its recognizing the drive that's promising.
Can you change the partition size?
Hope you get it sorted out.