Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Peter_MPC_Sweden Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:02 pm
Hello MPC Forum!
This is my first post in this forum. I have been MPC2000XL user the last six years. We use 2KXL as a drum machine in my band Agent Side Grinder in Sweden. We have been out on the road with this the last 6 years. We had some smaller problems the last year, and after a flight from Amsterdam to Stockholm last week it was showing strange symbols on the display. Since we have some gigs coming up soon I felt a bit stress. I wrote on FB that I was in urgent need of a 2000XL with card reader.
A really good guy that have been working in a music instrument store in Stockholm told me that he had one in mint condition more or less never used. The only thing he did one year ago was to install a cardreader from MPC stuff .com.
I started the machine and it could load our files etc. But when I did a save operation. It went looked all lights was lighting and it’s not possible get out from this situation.
I asked him if he had loaded the new operation system from a floppy disk before he install the card reader. He had not?
I just want to get this confirmed before I take out the card reader and put back the floppy and try to re start this with the OS disk.
Will this work? Is this the right way to do?
By Wal Martian Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:33 pm
After you loaded the sounds did you put in a different card? Some card readers are not hot swappable so you have to have the card in the slot when you turn the machine on. With your older one showing the symbols I would open it and take out the RAM clean the contacts with an eraser and clean out the slots and make sure it's seated properly when you put it back in. To replace the OS you usually would need to use a floppy, but if it loaded your sounds I think the OS is fine.
By Peter_MPC_Sweden Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:01 pm
Hello!

I put the floppy back and re started the MPC and, now it worked perfect. Then I put the card reader back. And same problems again when I tryed to do a save operation. Blank screen and all lights on? I put the floppy back and it works normal again.

I felt problems with the flat cabel when I put the CF reader back. Its note smoth in the conection like the flat cabel to the floppy? I realy had to push rader hard to get it in position?

// Peter