Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By phoking Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:17 pm
Hi guys,

This one is driving me nuts. The play / start button will not engage.
I've replaced the tact switch, so it's not that.... Whenever I hold down record + Play / Start... It doesn't engage.

However; Overdub + Play is fine.

Has anyone ever had this issue?

Looks like I'll need to pull out the schematic and trace everything... but geez!
By phoking Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:26 pm
I just set it to off... Same thing... Does the settings matter if I turn "count: OFF" ?

Thanks for the replay @ Wal Martian :-D
By Wal Martian Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:04 pm
With Count in OFF it should start the sequence right away when you press play start. Bar/beat should start scrolling from 1:00:00. With count in set to in REC or in REC+PLAY you should hear 4 clicks of the metronome before the numbers start changing as the sequence plays.
By tapedeck Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:42 pm
also check midi clock / sync setting. if its set to external it might not play until it gets clock.
By phoking Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:43 pm
tapedeck wrote:also check midi clock / sync setting. if its set to external it might not play until it gets clock.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Still a no go on the sync in suggestion. I may just swap out the operational board... and put the old one on the bench surgical style to see what the issue is....

I'm hoping it's the operational board and not anything related to the motherboard.. :vomit:
By tapedeck Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 pm
one test would be to put the machine under external clock and control, and then try starting play from the external sequencer.
By Jadabo Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:30 pm
Also make sure "wait for key" is set to OFF in the count/metronome settings. This would cause REC+PLAY to wait for an external signal.
By tapedeck Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:35 pm
Jadabo wrote:Also make sure "wait for key" is set to OFF in the count/metronome settings. This would cause REC+PLAY to wait for an external signal.

great point - had forgotten about this one.
thanks.
By JUKE 179r Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:00 am
phoking wrote:I've replaced the tact switch, so it's not that....

Are you sure the tact switch you soldered in actually worked? years ago I bought some cheap tact switches off of ebay and about half of them worked. I learned this after I soldered them all in. :oops:
By phoking Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:39 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:
phoking wrote:I've replaced the tact switch, so it's not that....

Are you sure the tact switch you soldered in actually worked? years ago I bought some cheap tact switches off of ebay and about half of them worked. I learned this after I soldered them all in. :oops:

Thanks for the careful suggestion.

I flipped to the continuity setting on my fluke.. the switch is good. So strange... but I'm not surprised with these units... This is by far the toughest issue (tech-wise) with the 2KXL that I've encountered!

I'll keep diagnosing and report back.

Thanks again, everyone.
By phoking Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:51 am
After months and months of just collecting dust. It's time for an update.
After determining it is not a software issue, I discovered that some traces under the board were cut/broke because the board bent somehow. Not sure, i'm not the original owner.

Anyway, I'm going to attempt to fix those traces you see in the pic and report back.

Hopefully within a year ;) (most likely).