Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By TheMPCRipper Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:41 am
I found ones for sale on MPC stuff but I assume these are off the shelf components. Since LCD screens are cheap for Auduinos and other similar products I just need to know the dimensions of the replacement screen - I assume it's a simple ribbon connection for it and non proprietary Pinout for it. If anyone can help me with the correct sizes I will post sources for the displays and hope to find the replacements in both standard green as well as blue or other colors as well. I imagine the displays should be no more then 30 bucks or so based of the cost of the ones for AVRs and SBCs. I have a few full colored ones with a ribbon connection but have no idea what the fonts would look like or if it would be legible as well as a different size LCD I can drop in and try but the screen is larger and would have to make a new mounting bracket for it. I have a hard time dropping 150 on a display for a unit that's only worth 550 especially when only a few lines are missing and imagine locating a source would be simple. Once I crack this bad boy open and get a better look at what's inside I will also post replacement parts to improve the sonic performance of it. Anyone interested in hot Rodding the 2k and 2kxl stay tuned to this thread. I plan on upgrading the opamps first and caps and imagine it would be worth the efforts. Anyone ever play with the internals?
By TheMPCRipper Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:28 am
Just saw a thread on the MPCstuff replacement screens - are these actually larger then the original ones and if so is an OS change needed? I wanted to swap it out to a Blue screen like the one in the thread and rather just spend the 150 then bust my a$$ looking for an off the shelf replacement and call it a day if the screen is larger and scratches me where I itch. I also noticed people asking about adding addition monitor outputs on the 2kxl. I have not opened mine up and at a friends house now but does anyone know if theirs an I2S header on board somewhere? If so it is possible to connect a raspberry PI via I2S and have an HDMI output for video.
By richie Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:29 am
You've been on since 2003 and are asking how to make your own replacement LCD? Even after you mention reading the thread on the LCD you still manage to ask funny questions.

The MPC-Stuff LCD is off the shelf but what costs $ is the adapter board they had developed which translates from the Sanyo IC to SPI Bus. It's not i2C as far as I have witnessed.
By JUKE 179r Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:57 pm
IMHO... Spend the $150 for the MPC-Stuff screen and be done with it.

TheMPCRipper wrote:Anyone ever play with the internals?

I go as far as replacing the screen, LEDs, tact switches and replacing bad resistors and caps but thats as far as messing with the electronics.
What are you looking at doing to the 2000/XL?
By TheMPCRipper Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:29 am
I go longer then 2003 - I don't see the humor in my question.

Juke - good seeing your still around. Thinking of switching to a linear power supply, upgrading caps and opamps to lm6172 at most spots. Maybe get a larger screen - add a USB port.
By JUKE 179r Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:06 pm
I'm very interested to see your progress for the 2000XL. That will be amazing.
I've gotten my XL & 3000LE to connect to a PC & Mac via SCSI USB to transfer files but that's as far as I'll go with it.
By JUKE 179r Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:05 am
@TheMPCRipper.... how’s the replacement screen going?