Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Automageddon Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:00 pm
Hello,
I noticed that "out there" you can still find MPC 2000 XL with effects and expansions for around 500 GBP, which to my mpc-inexperienced ears seems like a good deal.

But I have a question for you MPC-experts, is it still worth today?
How "user friendly" is it?
I'd be mainly sequencing external synth and sampling them to then compose with samples on the MPC.

Also, does it have audio track?

How are the reverbs and effects from the FX expansion?
By richie Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:16 pm
Hey Automageddon,

There's a website you should check out that happens to already have thousands of answers to all of your questions: http://www.mpc-forums.com
By JUKE 179r Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:03 pm
Very relevant. I'm modding more client's XLs and the prices are mad ridiculous on ebay now.
By Lampdog Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:54 pm
Automageddon wrote:.. is it still worth today?

The whole day or half a day? I think it's worth a whole day.
Automageddon wrote:How "user friendly" is it?

Not user friendly at all, it hates you and it lets you know everytime you touch a pad.

Automageddon wrote:Also, does it have audio track?

The manual doesn't mention audio track (just 1) so maybe read the manual to find out more.

Automageddon wrote:How are the reverbs and effects from the FX expansion?

Sleepy now, I can't answer.
By v00d00ppl Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:32 pm
Very user friendly. Good pads. The EFX and filter are alright. I tend to feed my 2000xl into the clarett pre8 interface at 96 and use my DAW effects. The more time and love you give it the more you will get back from it.
By obsolete Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:57 am
For a hardware MIDI sequencer it's yet to be beaten

The sampling engine is dated specs wise but less is more, creativity flourishes in the face of limitations

It's as relevant to music production as a vintage Porsche is to motoring
By obsolete Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:13 am
MPCs are instruments, the early ones at least. That was Roger Linn's genius. The 2000 and 2000XL retain that quality.

All instruments are limited - a guitar has only six strings, there's less opportunity for articulation on a piano than there is a trumpet but a trumpet is monophonic. Instruments are more than the sum of their parts.

I fear too many modern boxes are just computers in disguise. The early MPCs are computers but designed for a specific purpose not "general" purpose. A musical instrument is a refined tool, not a Swiss Army knife.

The MPC2000XL is as relevant as any musical instrument
By Lampdog Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:41 pm
obsolete wrote:It's as relevant to music production as a vintage Porsche is to motoring

THAT, is a NICE accurate perspective on it, so simple, yet, SO true.
By Living Bate Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:48 am
obsolete wrote:MPCs are instruments, the early ones at least. That was Roger Linn's genius. The 2000 and 2000XL retain that quality.

All instruments are limited - a guitar has only six strings, there's less opportunity for articulation on a piano than there is a trumpet but a trumpet is monophonic. Instruments are more than the sum of their parts.

I fear too many modern boxes are just computers in disguise. The early MPCs are computers but designed for a specific purpose not "general" purpose. A musical instrument is a refined tool, not a Swiss Army knife.

The MPC2000XL is as relevant as any musical instrument

Great response. Very articulate.