Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By JaytheRumor Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:13 am
I am trying to play a piano chord progression with MPC2000xL in 16Levels. I got my notes in "NOTE OFF" and when recording I can hear the keys playing together beautifully, but once I'm done playing the 4th bar, and it starts the loop of itself, the playback is only 1 key at a time (which ever of the three keys was pressed down first by the millisecond I'm assuming). As if I was playing in "MONO".. But it was and is indeed on "NOTE OFF".

Is there a separate option that has multiple notes restricting each other from being recorded at the same time?

*****I just tried to record the sequence in MONO... Shift>Program>Params>Voice Overlap:"MONO"
and still, when I'm in the action of recording, I can hear ALL the pads playing together, but AS SOOOON as I'm done actually clicking the pads coming up to the end of the 4bars to where it loops itself playing back what I JUST did, and it only plays One note at a time, cuts the other notes out of the recording, and plays just one pad.
By Wal Martian Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:29 pm
tapedeck wrote:16 levels for one pad will only let you play one pad at a time.
you might be able to fake it in step edit by putting the notes very close together - but you can only play a single pad once at one time.

^this
Think of 16 levels as a quicker way to change the pitch of a sound programmed to a pad. If you have to you can build your own 16 levels style program manually with pad params. Keep in mind polyphony of the xl is 32 notes
By Lampdog Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:16 pm
Reason why 16 level will only let you play one pad at a time is because it's levels of the SAME note, as in the exact same midi note. You can't play a chord of the SAME note at the EXACT same time. Not on 2kxl.
It's a limited sampler, not a full fledged sampler.
By Harmoncj Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:18 am
tapedeck wrote:16 levels for one pad will only let you play one pad at a time.
you might be able to fake it in step edit by putting the notes very close together - but you can only play a single pad once at one time.

thats the idea, so turn quantize off and deliberately scatter each note of the chord, then correct it in step edit later so they are only a tick apart.

fwiw, i think its possible to get the notes on the same tick if they are spread across different tracks,

in the end maybe its kinda like making an easy thing into a hard thing. since you have an xl just make a separate chromatic program and call it a day.
By tapedeck Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:35 pm
Harmoncj wrote:fwiw, i think its possible to get the notes on the same tick if they are spread across different tracks,
in the end maybe its kinda like making an easy thing into a hard thing. since you have an xl just make a separate chromatic program and call it a day.

i hadn't considered using it on different tracks but that makes sense now.

and yes i agree, that is totally unnecessary i would just do a chromatic or even just a manually-created program with the few notes for the chords that i would want. you could even use simult-pad feature to have one pad play the chord.

we gonna have one more skinned cat by the time this is over :mrgreen:
By Harmoncj Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:32 am
tapedeck wrote:
Harmoncj wrote:
we gonna have one more skinned cat by the time this is over :mrgreen:

:lol: lmfao @ that. when it comes to stuff like this on the mpc, its like I am determined to exploit any possible feature so that I can finish some bit of music without having to get up and patch in another piece of gear.