Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By obsolete Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:52 pm
Hi

I have four drum programs that I want to sequence externally. How do I do this when the MPC only seems to allow a single global MIDI in channel in single track mode (S)?

If I use multiple track recording (M) I can route incoming MIDI channels to specific tracks but then I have to be really careful with recording. If I don't use overdub then the tracks I'm not recording get written over and even if I do use overdub I have to make sure there's no unexpected data on the other MIDI channels.

Is multiple track recording the only way to use the 2KXL like a (4 part) "sound module"?
By tapedeck Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:30 pm
obsolete wrote:If I use multiple track recording (M) I can route incoming MIDI channels to specific tracks but then I have to be really careful with recording. If I don't use overdub then the tracks I'm not recording get written over and even if I do use overdub I have to make sure there's no unexpected data on the other MIDI channels.

Is multiple track recording the only way to use the 2KXL like a (4 part) "sound module"?

then be careful - it's not supposed to be fool-proof, you need to know what you are doing.

the multiple in ports could be nice if you are using maybe one for clock and another for triggering notes, or anything like that.
By obsolete Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:21 pm
tapedeck wrote:then be careful - it's not supposed to be fool-proof, you need to know what you are doing.

true, true

tapedeck wrote:the multiple in ports could be nice if you are using maybe one for clock and another for triggering notes, or anything like that.

yeah, realised it was a dumb question after i asked it, i'm actually doing exactly this!
By Lampdog Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:26 am
obsolete wrote:In fact ... given the above, what's the point of having more than one MIDI input on the 2KXL?

I have a sound module that has 2 midi ports. I can connect both to mpc and can control 32 channels of midi if I choose. Or my 2 keyboards with 1 midi each.
By JUKE 179r Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:46 am
I use my ASR-10 as an expensive ass sound module for my MPCs. :smoker: