Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By hok-2 Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:08 pm
Hello, I have been experimenting with tracking my songs out to Reason with Midi Time Code
I have a Midi Man Uno (one in. One out) Midi box
And I've got it all set up, and it works but...when I play 2 recordings next to each other
I can hear from the phasing and visually that the two recordings have different start points.

I have also read that it's customary to to use a one bar space and a reference Click to line up takes.
But even though it's the same tempo on Mpc2000 and Reaper it starts recording at a wierd just before the first bar anacrusis.

Is this normal? Seems incredibly bad time keeping.
Any advice on a tighter D.A.W. for midi synce?

I'd appreciate any ideas , knowledge and advise
PeAcE!
By tapedeck Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:17 pm
i always say sync is overrated. if you absolutely have to do it in two takes, sync them up manually by practicing your timing. alternatively, if you need a little help, trigger a click a bar before each sequence and then line up the clicks manually. but by not using midi code, you eliminate any fluctuations that might be having.
By Wal Martian Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:38 pm
^I'm the same, I don't sync. I track the 3K and the 2Kxl with a 4 click count then line it up after. The 2k and 2kxl drift from the tempo pretty badly, even after 60 seconds. The 3K is much tighter on the timing. I have a BLA microclock but I only use it to send wordclock to my interface, not my samplers.
By tapedeck Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:00 pm
Wal Martian wrote:The 2k and 2kxl drift from the tempo pretty badly, even after 60 seconds.

and in my experience, it stays pretty solid. i track out 6 minutes into logic with the tempos set the same and dont really have any issues.
this is using no midi clock.
its all whatever works for whomever - there is clearly no 'right' way so just do whatever works with reason.