Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By richdollarz Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:20 pm
Whats up everyone in the forum let me explain what is happening. Using the blue mcd 2000xl for at least 5 years or so and i had a cf with drum sounds that I can't remember if it came with it or not. My cf disk with my saved songs is a ultra 2 sandisk 1gb and i used to be able to change the disk load up drums from the other disk and put back in the ultra 2 and keep working save no prob. As of recent I decided to purchase more drum sounds from mpc-samples. I realized I lost the disk with the drum sounds that used to load no prob so I had to order by mail a new 1gb sandisk and also a card reader so i could drag the drums from the mpc samples download onto the disk. I reformatted the disk like it said somewhere when I was doing research on this drag the drum sounds on the disk and put in 2000xl and can load only if inserted before boot so its acting if its NOT hot swapple now after years of being able to swap with the other disk I had before. What I been doing is run my laptop threw the input and sample the drum sound in but Why won't it work the way it used to?? Is it the flashcard? Is it because its from a download from the net? Im using a macbook by the way if that makes a difference? Anyone out there experience this or know whats going on would appreciate the feed back on what I need to do?!!
By Wal Martian Thu May 04, 2017 1:02 am
richdollarz wrote: a new 1gb sandisk and also a card reader so i could drag the drums from the mpc samples download onto the disk. I reformatted the disk

richdollarz wrote: Im using a macbook

The problem is the Macbook is putting hidden files on the card rendering it unreadable by the MPC. Put it back in the MPC and format it and try again but don't format in the Mac book. You might need additional software, do a search on the forums to find more info.
By richdollarz Thu May 04, 2017 7:18 pm
Thanks for your replay's Wal Martian and Lampdog. I tried that I erase the drum kit from the disk and put it in the Mpc and reformatted there then went back and put in card reader the brand says WEme i don't know if that matters put the drum sounds back on it and they will load in the mpc but once i try to put in the disk with songs that disk won't load so Ill have to turn it off then everything lost. If i put the disk in first with the songs and take out and try to put the disk in with the drum kits hit load it will get stuck on Wait....... and stay that why so then i have to cut off and lose anything I didn't save. I wasn't using the mac a long time ago because the cf disk I had came with the drum samples already on it but since i lost it i was looking to get some new sound from mpc samples so thats why I'm using the mac now just to copy them from the download and put on the cf disk.
Do you think its a bad cf? Would a scisi to usb connecter work?
By tapedeck Thu May 04, 2017 7:29 pm
when that card gets put on the macbook, it corrupts the card. the way i do it is i run a virtual machine with xp on my mac, and i only let the cards hit that. if they do touch osx, i have to re-load them into windows, erase the corrupt files, and then it will work.

there is also a program called clean up smb mess that people used to recommend, but i dont know if it ever worked for me.
By JVC Fri May 05, 2017 2:31 am
tapedeck wrote:when that card gets put on the macbook, it corrupts the card. the way i do it is i run a virtual machine with xp on my mac, and i only let the cards hit that. if they do touch osx, i have to re-load them into windows, erase the corrupt files, and then it will work.
there is also a program called clean up smb mess that people used to recommend, but i dont know if it ever worked for me.
I'm mac user and MPC-2000XL user as well, but I never mount MPC CF card on mac, because Mac would create hidden files as soon as it is mounted.
To be fair, mounting MPC CF card won't corrupt your card, but because of the hidden files, you might have some issues when you go back to MPC from Mac.

I use VirtualBox (it is free!) with XP on my mac, via USB card reader.
I did try SMB Mess app, but it does not clean up (delete) all the hidden files, so it is no use, so don't bother.

Using Windows XP for data transfer is the safest method, as far as I know.
(I don't know if Windows 7 is OK to use. Does any one know?)

Slightly off-topic, but NEVER, EVER, name filename that is longer than 8 chars.
"filename.snd" is OK, but "filename1.snd" is no good, it WILL corrupt file system on CF card!
By richdollarz Sat May 06, 2017 5:52 am
Hey Thanks Tape Deck and Jvc for your reply's and all the other guys helping me out on this. I will look into the windows xp and virtual app and try it out.

One more thing before I spend money on this is I'm still running maverick os on my mac. If I decided to update the os on it would I have to change from xp to a different windows?
By tapedeck Mon May 08, 2017 5:11 pm
richdollarz wrote:Ok thanks will do some research on it. Seems like a lot to do just for drum samples but I will check it again and let you guys know how its going

it is a lot of work, for sure. that's what you are signing up for tho using vintage technology.

having a virtual box xp tho can be useful in other ways, so it doesnt have to be 'just for drum samples'.