Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Yeke Boy Mon May 01, 2017 2:15 pm
Regards, I have an Ensoniq EPS (keyboard version) and an S950 and I am thinking of acquiring a MPC 2kXL to use as a sequencer of my machines. My question is the following:
I would like to know if with the MPC I can record a MIDI sequence made from the keys of my EPS, but reproducing the sounds in my EPS. For example,
I have connected my EPS by MIDI IN and OUT to the MPC, and the audio outputs from the EPS to the MIXER. I establish a series of chops from a sample in my EPS and I address them to several keys of this one,
Then I start the recording in the MPC and I throw the samples from the EPS keys in time, then when I play the sequence from the MPC I want the EPS to respond to this MIDI information.
Then my questions are as follows:

-Is it necessary to configure the 2 machines to be able to carry out this? Or just configuring the MPC is enough?

-If this is so, how do I have to configure the MPC? (I guess I'll have to do it from MIDI setup)

I know that working on MIDI, it is possible that many EPS keys match the pads of the MPC, this I keep in mind and I know how to work with it from the EPS.

I apologize because you may not understand correctly my way of explaining it, I am using a translator.

Thank you very much.
By tapedeck Mon May 01, 2017 2:24 pm
yes - this will work perfectly and i encourage you to just try it. it will become apparent very quickly what works.

you'll set the mpc tracks up to something like midi 1-a - which means that track is sending midi out of port a on channel 1. the eps will then respond to this.

it is probably as easy as just plugging in the cables and setting your midi channels.

that will be a great combo.
By Yeke Boy Mon May 01, 2017 3:11 pm
Ouuuu Thank you!!! I suppose the MPC will receive the MIDI information, it will record it and then when reproduced it will send it back to the EPS, right? In the MPC, the settings for the same track will have to be done in MIDI in and MIDI out, I suppose. On the other hand, I have clear that I want a sequencer that is MPC, but you think the 2kXL is okay? Or if it were possible I should get another different or better like 3k or 60? (I like the old ones more for their sequencer and robustness)
By tapedeck Mon May 01, 2017 3:59 pm
i think an xl is your best bet. cheap, more modern, reliable.

the only setting you make is setting the midi channel and port per track .... for example midi 1-a is port A, channel 1.
By iamtrevorlang Fri May 26, 2017 3:23 pm
I am currently using my 2000xl to sequence my ASR-10 and it will work the same for EPS... MPC sequencer is way better the the E-Mu. Let me know if you have any issues getting it working and can help you troubleshoot. Took me a while to figure out but now it works flawlessly :smoker:
By richie Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:18 am
J_steel_tha_realest wrote:The eps isn’t emu. The eps is made by ensoniq. I got 4 of them

A lot of people were concerned that E-mu was secretly making the EPS under the table for Ensoniq but were too afraid to respond because of the CIA.

Your bravery solved the perplexing question we were all afraid to clarify for 6 years now.

Thanks for that