Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By kidwho Tue May 30, 2017 1:41 am
hi everyone. i've run out of analogue inputs on my focusrite 18i20 (which includes the additional 8 ADAT inputs which are being fed via an ultragain digital ADAT expansion, therefore expanding via ADAT is not an option).

at the moment i'm tracking via the 8 outs on my 2kxl into the analogue inputs, but the 18i20 also accepts spdif input. i don't currently have a cable, but before i go ahead and buy one i'd like to find out about a couple things:

- when an spdif cable is connected, does it simply re-route the 'stereo out' signal via spdif as opposed to the analogue stereo out? does the 'stereo' section of the mixer then correspond to what is being sent via spdif?

- if the above is true, is it then possible to send digital audio via spdif at the same time as analogue audio via the 8 outs? for instance, in the mixer could i assign pads to outputs 1, 2 and 3, and then other pads to 'stereo out' (the spdif)?

- i've read alot of horror stories online about setting up spdif and outputs not being recognised by audio interfaces... have people encountered many problems with this?

thanks in advance for the help. really hoping this is a viable option, as would free up two analogue inputs on my focusrite, which would be lovely :-D
By kidwho Tue May 30, 2017 11:35 am
update: i just tried this with a regular (non spdif) RCA cable and IT WORKS :) 8-outs still functioning as normal, digital out handled by all the usual 'stereo' settings and routings in the mixer. happy days.

strange thing is, everything sounds absolutely fine, and i'm getting zero noise or interference via the regular RCA, even on close listens. am i not hearing some fidelity issues here which would be resolved with a proper coax RCA cable?
By tapedeck Tue May 30, 2017 6:31 pm
kidwho wrote:- when an spdif cable is connected, does it simply re-route the 'stereo out' signal via spdif as opposed to the analogue stereo out? does the 'stereo' section of the mixer then correspond to what is being sent via spdif?

it just mirrors the stereo out - i believe they both work. from the mpc, you'd use the spdif just as you would the stereo out.

kidwho wrote:- if the above is true, is it then possible to send digital audio via spdif at the same time as analogue audio via the 8 outs? for instance, in the mixer could i assign pads to outputs 1, 2 and 3, and then other pads to 'stereo out' (the spdif)?

yes.

kidwho wrote:- i've read alot of horror stories online about setting up spdif and outputs not being recognised by audio interfaces... have people encountered many problems with this?

never experienced that - a lot of that could be user error. for example on some soundcards you have to set them up to receive external sync before the digital input will work.
By Lampdog Tue May 30, 2017 6:48 pm
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/coaxial-spdif-cable-vs-rca-cable

Differences

Though coaxial audio cables resemble RCA cables in the shape and size of their connectors and can be interchangeable because they both have 75 ohm impedance and similar bandwidths, coaxial cables are thicker and have the same shielding as coaxial video cables to minimize interference. Because coaxial cables relay digital signals, they can carry 5.1 channel audio within the single cable, something the analog RCA cables cannot match.
By kidwho Wed May 31, 2017 1:00 am
thanks for the info guys! by chance i found quite a fancy looking coaxial cable in a drawer at home :) very pleased to have those additional two inputs freed up on the focusrite
By Lampdog Wed May 31, 2017 3:38 pm
SPDIF is all digital, main volume on faceplate wont work, SPDIF bypasses that knob.
SPDIF is always max digital volume.