Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By logjamparty Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:17 pm
I like working mostly in Pro Tools. The MPC workflow is great for getting ideas started, but for me, I'm more creative and faster inside PRO Tools.

Right now I have an MPC Live that I only use in standalone mode. One way that I've been using it which has been fun, is creating a sequence that is equal (or longer) in bars to my song in Pro Tools, syncing with Midi Time Code and MMC to control
the MPC transport from Pro Tools, and then go to any point on the Pro Tools timeline, start playback, hit record on the MPC Live, and record a part in to the MPC. I can hit play again and do an overdub pass, tweak notes, add swing, swap samples, etc. Then I just hit record in Pro Tools, and it records the audio back in. So easy.

The MPC Live syncs perfectly with Pro Tools over MTC (well, there's some latency when I record it in which I'm trying to resolve). I can start playback on bar 27 in Pro Tools and it starts playback on bar 27 on the MPC.

This has been huge for me. But. I'm about to have my 3rd MPC Live shipped to me in as many weeks. The first two failed completely after a few days of use. Output extremely loud distortion, crash every few minutes, lock up, etc. If the third one doesn't work, I'm going to get an MPC 2000 and save a lot of money. Plus I really like
The sound of the MPC2000, even if it's subtle.

It would just be nice to be able to use it in the same way as the MPC Live, being able to follow the timeline of Pro Tools.