Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
Byanon_59393a948 Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:55 pm
Hey guys!! ✌️ So ive been wanting a 2000 or 2000xl for a while now. Stepping up from the 1000. All the info i have found is that the 2000 classic is a fraction more vintage sounding than the 2000xl (probably updated circuits). Is there anyone who can tell me any other differences or if there even is a difference?!? Cheers. Ps. This post is to help me decide which machine sounds more warm before i buy either. Thanks
By JUKE 179r Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:25 pm
I messed with both and prefer my XL for these exact reasons http://www.mpc2000xl.com/summary.htm :
-XL sequencer memory increased from 100,000 events to 300,000
-XL dedicated Next Sequence button
-XL has 4 buttons for pad/bank selection vs the former 1
-XL can access 4 drum programs simultaneously, essentially making it 4 part multitimbral
-Number of samples stored doubled to 256 on the XL
-Folder support for storage on the XL
-XL can switch between sequences using the pads (just like the track mute/unmute screen)
-XL has SUDDEN button added to immediately switch to next sequence
-XL has 2nd sequence function allows you to associate another sequence to play simultaneously with current one.
-XL can solo from track mute/unmute screen
-XL can change sequences with program changes
-XL Device naming for each midi channel
-XL Midi monitor screen
-XL has improved multiple track recording by specifying which tracks to record and what channels for soft through
-XL Resample a sound with a different bit depth or sampling rate
-XL Zone mode allows you to select up to 16 zones
-XL Slice function. When samples zoned like above, you can automatically create new program (with pad assignments and with extra specified samples at end of each sample because of the sample decay ). (Sort of like Recycle, but you have to manual zone the sample)
-XL Timestretch function with slightly modifiable presets: 1. FEM VOX 2. MALE VOX 3. LOW MALE VOX 4. VOCAL 5. HFREQ RHYTHM 6. MFREQ RHYTHM 7. LFREQ RHYTHM 8. PERCUSSION 9. LFREQ PERC. 10. STACCATO 11. LFREQ SLOW 12. MUSIC 1 13. MUSIC 2 14. MUSIC 3 15. SOFT PERC. 16. HFREQ ORCH. 17. LFREQ ORCH. 18. SLOW ORCH.
-XL has automatic Chromatic assignment. Essentially allows you to create a keygroup across the key/pads from one sample.
-XL has internal IDE port so you can replace the floppy with a Zip drive.
-New List price of the XL is much lower than the new list price of the former model.
-XL has a swivel screen and comes in three color schemes.
-You can now switch from REC/OVERDUB to PLAY and vice versa without having to stop the sequencer.

:smoker:
By MrDismal Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:30 pm
Coming from a 1000 you'd probably have a hard time hearing any difference in sound between 2k and 2kxl. I'd definitely go with the XL - more features. Plus folder dir's! It's a beast.
By Harmoncj Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:28 am
2kclassic has the GOAT jog wheel its undisputed
By mr_debauch Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:05 pm
yeah the jog wheel on the classic is proper. I just wish it had the scroll acceleration that the XL has (ie: moving a start or end point and it shifts up a gear after a few seconds)
Byanon_59393a948 Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:44 pm
MrDismal wrote:Coming from a 1000 you'd probably have a hard time hearing any difference in sound between 2k and 2kxl. I'd definitely go with the XL - more features. Plus folder dir's! It's a beast.
coming from a 1000 i know the difference between warmth and digital. from my own experience i find the 2000xl slightly more updated sounding, less vintage. would you agree though? id rather take ur word. like which machine sounds more oldschool? i know the XL is the better machine, but is the classic just a tad more warm?!?! thanks
Byanon_59393a948 Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:46 pm
well what i know is the 2000 sounds a tad more vintage than the XL. so in my case i want the cf card reader so obviously i should choose the xl or mcd xl.BUT! does it still have the warmth of the 2000??? PLEASE tihs final question will help me decide which to get
Byanon_59393a948 Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:58 pm
So the 2k classic sounds more punchy n vintage than the XL?!
By Harmoncj Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 am
I don't have the 1st hand experience but I mean, its mostly the same components where it counts like the DAC and ADC and the software was simply updated. theres just no way you should expect a huge change in sound like mpc60 to mpc3000.
Byanon_59393a948 Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:06 am
Harmoncj wrote:I don't have the 1st hand experience but I mean, its mostly the same components where it counts like the DAC and ADC and the software was simply updated. theres just no way you should expect a huge change in sound like mpc60 to mpc3000.

sounds good. im just a purist about the punchy crunch sound n they always say the 2k classic is more crunchy, but tbh even if it was a tad more crunchy, i do prefer the xl considering its percs
Byanon_59393a948 Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:07 am
so to conclude, regardless whether the 2000 xl or classic, they will def both b more vintage n punchy than a 1000 for sure no?!
Byanon_59393a948 Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:24 am
JUKE 179r wrote:I messed with both and prefer my XL for these exact reasons http://www.mpc2000xl.com/summary.htm :
-XL sequencer memory increased from 100,000 events to 300,000
-XL dedicated Next Sequence button
-XL has 4 buttons for pad/bank selection vs the former 1
-XL can access 4 drum programs simultaneously, essentially making it 4 part multitimbral
-Number of samples stored doubled to 256 on the XL
-Folder support for storage on the XL
-XL can switch between sequences using the pads (just like the track mute/unmute screen)
-XL has SUDDEN button added to immediately switch to next sequence
-XL has 2nd sequence function allows you to associate another sequence to play simultaneously with current one.
-XL can solo from track mute/unmute screen
-XL can change sequences with program changes
-XL Device naming for each midi channel
-XL Midi monitor screen
-XL has improved multiple track recording by specifying which tracks to record and what channels for soft through
-XL Resample a sound with a different bit depth or sampling rate
-XL Zone mode allows you to select up to 16 zones
-XL Slice function. When samples zoned like above, you can automatically create new program (with pad assignments and with extra specified samples at end of each sample because of the sample decay ). (Sort of like Recycle, but you have to manual zone the sample)
-XL Timestretch function with slightly modifiable presets: 1. FEM VOX 2. MALE VOX 3. LOW MALE VOX 4. VOCAL 5. HFREQ RHYTHM 6. MFREQ RHYTHM 7. LFREQ RHYTHM 8. PERCUSSION 9. LFREQ PERC. 10. STACCATO 11. LFREQ SLOW 12. MUSIC 1 13. MUSIC 2 14. MUSIC 3 15. SOFT PERC. 16. HFREQ ORCH. 17. LFREQ ORCH. 18. SLOW ORCH.
-XL has automatic Chromatic assignment. Essentially allows you to create a keygroup across the key/pads from one sample.
-XL has internal IDE port so you can replace the floppy with a Zip drive.
-New List price of the XL is much lower than the new list price of the former model.
-XL has a swivel screen and comes in three color schemes.
-You can now switch from REC/OVERDUB to PLAY and vice versa without having to stop the sequencer.

:smoker:

Hey thanks. So which would u say sounds more vintage? N if so by how much compared to the other?! Final question thanks