Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By AnalogBrain Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:43 pm
Hey guys,
PLEASE HELP, I'm losing my brain!

Here is what happens:

1. Record a simple Kick Snare Hat groove on (TRACK 1).
2. Record simple MIDI synth part with Roland Boutique JU-06 on (TRACK 2).
3. Playback, Stop, Overdub all working perfect.
4. Move to (TRACK 3) to add more drums.

When I go to track 3, the synth part on track 2 starts triggering drum samples along with synth part.
When I go back to track 2, random drum samples stop playing back, everything goes back to normal playback. When I move to track 1 or 3 the random drum samples start playing back again.
When I open STEP EDIT for tracks 1 or 3, there are MIDI notes showing that were never recorded.

Basically, it seems that when I record a MIDI synth part, it is writing that info to ALL of the tracks, not just the one I am recording onto. I have all of the the tracks in (S:) single record mode.

My Setup:
OS 1.20
MPC MIDI OUT A---------JU-06 MIDI IN
JU-06 MIDI OUT--------MPC MIDI IN 1

JU-06 set to MIDI Channel 1
MPC set to receive MIDI on channel 1
MPC set to output MIDI to Device 1A
SOFT THROUGH: OFF

Please help, I am going crazy!!!!
By AnalogBrain Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:07 pm
Thanks for the reply....
YES.

Name of drum program is DRUMAAA

Track 1:
S: DRUM1:OFF DRUMAAA

TRACK 2:
S: MIDI: 1A-DEVICE-1

TRACK 3:
S: DRUM1:OFF DRUMAAA

Like I said, it seems that the MPC is playing back the MIDI data from TRACK 2 on the other tracks also.

So confused....
By Harmoncj Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:06 pm
there is some kind of MIDI feedback happening here. Why does the JU-06 need to be connected to the MIDI input? does it even have a keyboard?
By AnalogBrain Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:18 pm
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I believe you are correct.
After scouring the internet.... it seems that the ROLAND JU-06 uses the MIDI OUT as a MIDI THROUGH, and there seems to be no way of turning it off.
Yes, I was using the keyboard controller on the JU-06.
So it seems I will just have to use a separate keyboard controller to the MPC, and disconnect the MIDI OUT on the JU-06 and just using it as a sound module.

I can understand ROLAND wanting to save an extra $.05 by not putting in a MIDI THRU connector.... but I don't understand why there is no way to shut it off and stop the MIDI loop.

Thanks so much!
-Neil