Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Shawn DJ Dez Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:24 pm
Yo guys on my MPC 2000XL I double time the bpm and set the note value to 1/8
Why does the quantize still not pull and sound as tight as Scott Storch and Dr.Dre?
I know this is what they do, there's just some last step.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:41 pm
Unfortunately there's more to producing beats than copying some sequencer settings from your favourite producers. Time, practice, skill, sound, space, groove, dynamics etc. You can't learn that kind of stuff without putting the time in and getting experience until you develop a sound that works for you.
By Lampdog Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:28 am
Shawn DJ Dez wrote:Yo guys on my MPC 2000XL I double time the bpm and set the note value to 1/8
Why does the quantize still not pull and sound as tight as Scott Storch and Dr.Dre?
I know this is what they do, there's just some last step.

Your failing so hard and not even realizing it.

They know ALOT of stuff you don't and so just that one thing will not make it sound like them. Don't double time your first few times out on mpc. Turn timing off until you get YOUR timing in check (which will not be easy for a while). Once you kinda get that then venture out and try other advanced stuff. You have a long way to go.
By Shawn DJ Dez Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:26 pm
But why when I lay just the kick drum down with the BPM double timed or regular timed the quantize simply doesn't pull the kick half as tight or "fast" as other people's do. Even when I use shift timing 3 ticks "Early" it makes the kick a little tighter but still not as close to as tight as these guys.
Its like for some reason the quantize is too loose, and I keep the swing on 50% when I program the Kick drum so I don't think that's it.
By tapedeck Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:34 pm
try regular timing first.
or hold note repeat and put them in like that to hear quantisation in realtime.
By richie Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:28 am
Lampdog wrote:They know ALOT of stuff you don't and so just that one thing will not make it sound like them. Don't double time your first few times out on mpc. Turn timing off until you get YOUR timing in check (which will not be easy for a while). Once you kinda get that then venture out and try other advanced stuff. You have a long way to go.[/color]

Why are you being a jerk for? Everyone knows that if you want to sound the same as Dr Dre and Scott Storch that all you need to do is get an MPC 2000XL and program your sh*t in double time. :lol:

It has nothing to do with that Dr Dre does not even use 2000XL's or nothing to do with having several million dollars in equipment, and nothing to do with having actual talent. It all comes down to having the XL and programming in 1/8 double time. :fku:
By Lampdog Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:01 pm
Shawn DJ Dez wrote:But why when I lay just the kick drum down with the BPM double timed or regular timed the quantize simply doesn't pull the kick half as tight or "fast" as other people's do. Even when I use shift timing 3 ticks "Early" it makes the kick a little tighter but still not as close to as tight as these guys.
Its like for some reason the quantize is too loose, and I keep the swing on 50% when I program the Kick drum so I don't think that's it.

Sometimes producers turn timing OFF and after wards they go into STEP EDIT and nudge individual ticks back and forth. Just depending on cookie cutter resolution or timing trick will never get you there. Turn timing off and use your own timing. Stop being brainwashed into thinking doubletiming is the answer. Snap out of it and rely on self timing.

Harmoncj wrote:fwiw, I'm not sure id ever be able to hear it but the 2k and 2kxl are not as tight as the 3000 and 4000

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip ... sults.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip ... sults.html

still talking about less than a millisecond though

This will convolute issues more if OP goes in on this imo. I'd suggest OP finding his own timing along with nudging individual ticks in STEP EDIT. Damn near eveyone I know has done this at one point or another.
By Harmoncj Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:31 pm
Lampdog wrote:
This will convolute issues more if OP goes in on this imo. I'd suggest OP finding his own timing along with nudging individual ticks in STEP EDIT. Damn near eveyone I know has done this at one point or another.

true is the jitter is a non issue,

what are we even talking about? is it when you sequence along to a sampled phrase? I'm guessing its this issue where you can get a sample to loop correctly but the hits don't necessarily fall on the grid
By Lampdog Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:41 pm
OP wants to use double timing and instantly get drum hits in place as tight as Dr. Dre and Scott Storch.

:Sigh: