Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By rookie Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:18 pm
What up lamp! I'm referring to ithe system disk. It's giving me a message saying "disk read error "from a floppy. I just ordered a Zip drive , and will put the OS on there and see what happens .
By Lampdog Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:05 pm
Wuddup and how are you. You've been missing in action for a long minute. "MPC Resources" above has a link to the system boot files for the 2k. Download that unzip it, place only the unzipped files on a fresh floppy/zip. That should create a new bootable system disk for you.

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/files/mpc-os/M ... os_172.zip
By Harmoncj Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:26 pm
I think you have best luck if you format everything on the MPC itself, even though FAT format should work. I have no science to back that up so maybe thats bullshit. Anyways Id been getting disk errors from floppy and that was the final straw I decided to have to upgrade to internal scsi.
By Lampdog Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:36 pm
2k and 2kxl can read media formatted on pc with FAT. Only up to 8 character filenames are handled correctly but you also get the option to transfer flawlessly when pluggin into PC. MAC has it's own set of rules with **** with your mpc media so BEWARE.

2k/2kxl formatted media cannot be read on computer but you get the option of 16 character filenames.

I'll say again zip is awful. On my 2kxl I went from Floppy, to Zip 100 then 250 then 750 and finally to MCD after SOOO many zip headaches. STILL use the same cf cards in it for more than 15 years now.
By rookie Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:31 pm
Ok good look lamp., seems as though that MCD is a must. I will can look into one. Thank God the zip I ordered is external.
By Lampdog Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:40 pm
2kxl has a more accessible mobo than 2k. They are NOT the same.

Internal Atapi/IDE connectors allow for mcd. Mine is ATAPI (meaning hotswap).

IDE is NOT hotswap but same ribbon connector, that's the diff between the 2 protocols.

I urge you to dgo 2kxl if you ever have the chance, only thing you will miss having is the jog wheel.
By rookie Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:53 am
Yeah I'm definitely gonna get another XL , I just happen to catch this one fully loaded for 125.00 at a pawn shop.
By JUKE 179r Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:35 am
rookie wrote:Yeah I'm definitely gonna get another XL , I just happen to catch this one fully loaded for 125.00 at a pawn shop.

Tell me where??? :-D
By Lampdog Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:25 am
rookie wrote:..... happen to catch this one fully loaded for 125.00 at a pawn shop.

By rookie Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:13 am
LOL, they had 169.00 on the price tag, which was good to me, but the owner came in like , if you give me 125.00 out the door right now,...I'm like say know more!
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:47 pm
rookie wrote:LOL, they had 169.00 on the price tag, which was good to me, but the owner came in like , if you give me 125.00 out the door right now,...I'm like say know more!

Man I can't believe it as that the same pawn shop I went to dude! :worthy: I gave the owner a cow and four magic beans for a mint EMU SP-1200......... What a **** steal :smoker:
By distortedtekno Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:41 pm
The OS can't be read if you copy it from a PC. The only way it can is if you copy it from the MPC 's floppy drive. So you'll have to replace it or buy the OS on a Zip disk. Even then, if you want the OS on a CF card, you'll still need that floppy drive. That's why I still have mine incase I accidentally erase any MO startup disks. 4 years strong with MO disks and I still wouldn't drop $200 on a CF reader. :smoker: