Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Shawn DJ Dez Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:37 pm
Hey guys, everybody knows when you slave the MPC to Pro Tools or Logic, the Computer DAW **** up the swing of the MPC when your tracking out your drums.
And if you record the MPC without Midi into the Computer DAW it slides and drifts right of the grid even when you match the DAW BPM to the MPC BPM.

Who knows the right way ta do this?
By tapedeck Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:14 pm
Shawn DJ Dez wrote:And if you record the MPC without Midi into the Computer DAW it slides and drifts right of the grid even when you match the DAW BPM to the MPC BPM.

have you ever tried it this way? i do it this way and get no drift.

even if you did, it's trivial to correct it every 16 or 32 bars or so.

you could also try syncing the daw to the mpc, that might give better results.
By Shawn DJ Dez Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:41 pm
Thanx bro. But you probably use the MPC 2500 or the 1000 they have way better clocks in them.
I use the 2000XL. I thought this way was so dope until I zoomed in on the grid after I tracked out my kick drum and saw how much it was drifting.

Now if I use midi and I make the MPC the master just to track out the drums, then once I'm done the DAW will default back to its clock and won't the timing be off on the DAW grid again?
By tapedeck Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:30 am
no, i use the 2000xl.
where did you hear that the 1000/ 2500 have better clocks? i would not believe everything i hear / read.

as to your other question, no, if you turn off sync, the notes will stay where you put them.
By Shawn DJ Dez Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:03 pm
If you record 8 bars of the Kick drum from MPC into the DAW, you'll see the last Kick on the grid is not in the same place as the first kick on the gird... It's not that the DAW clock better than the MPC clock, it's just that even though you match the MPC BPM to the DAW BPM, they straight up aren't the same tempo.
By tapedeck Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:18 pm
Shawn DJ Dez wrote:If you record 8 bars of the Kick drum from MPC into the DAW, you'll see the last Kick on the grid is not in the same place as the first kick on the gird... It's not that the DAW clock better than the MPC clock, it's just that even though you match the MPC BPM to the DAW BPM, they straight up aren't the same tempo.

ive never experienced that - especially not at just 8 bars. mine will stay matched for the whole track. now there might be something where the 1st hit is slightly off, but that won't matter for the rest of the track.
By Lampdog Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:21 pm
Shawn DJ Dez wrote:...even though you match the MPC BPM to the DAW BPM, they straight up aren't the same tempo.

Different brands of hardware/software do that. Same bpm number but there are miniscule differences in timing. Everyone knows this.

tapedeck wrote:ive never experienced that - especially not at just 8 bars. mine will stay matched for the whole track.

Same here, I've had good vibes with 4k and 2kxl following Sony Vegas and Reaper midi timing before. Never had timing problems with audio tracking (BPM drifts are so far and so small I didn't even have to care) or midi tracking.