Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By modb Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:49 pm
I have never owned an mpc before but i am looking to grab a 2000xl. Ive done some research in regards to how it works and everything seems rather straight forward except I am a bit confused regarding how programs work and the drum holders. for instance if i have a break im looking to chop up and create say program 1 with it which is in drum holder 1 and is using pad bank a. Now im ready to record and chop up another sample. would i create a new program for that or could i use program 1 again but assign 16 chops to pad bank b. Im not really sure how that all works.
By tapedeck Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:06 pm
yes you could use another bank in the same program for another set of samples. you could also then use another bank for other samples like drum machine hits, vocals, etc.

i would actually encourage you to do this because there are limits that the mpc has: no more than 24 programs at once, and the one that gets me (because i tend to cram all my samples into as few projects as possible), 256 samples total in memory.
By modb Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:24 pm
Hey, Thanks for the quick reply. That helps alot. and as far as tracks go i can just assign my kick to say track 1, snare to 2, main sample to 3, if i have vocal chops to 4 ect. The only real reason that i would need to create a new program is if i exceed the 64 pads that are given in one program im guessing. so you can build a whole beat off one program. Having the limitation of drum holders would be mostly a pain in a live show, Correct?
By Lampdog Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:08 pm
Place kik, snare and hhat on same track and make a beat to get a feel.

Copy this trk1 to trk2 and again to trk3.

On trk1 keep kik and delete all others.
On trk2 keep snr and delete all others.
On trk3 keep hhat and delete all others.

This is so you have mixer control for each trk later on.

For live, I'd say figure out your machines capabilities and work within them. Memorize buttons and menus. Arrange samples in DRUM 1, 2, 3 and 4 so that you have what you need for your set available right then and there. 64 pads in each DRUM (1DRUM holds 1PGM) 2kxl can have 4 "active" programs.
By tapedeck Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:18 pm
modb wrote:Hey, Thanks for the quick reply. That helps alot. and as far as tracks go i can just assign my kick to say track 1, snare to 2, main sample to 3, if i have vocal chops to 4 ect. The only real reason that i would need to create a new program is if i exceed the 64 pads that are given in one program im guessing. so you can build a whole beat off one program. Having the limitation of drum holders would be mostly a pain in a live show, Correct?

sort of... i mean you can create a new program just to be organised too, there's no 'only real reason'. you can build a beat off only one program, or use all 4. the limitations are not a pain live or in the studio once you learn to work with them.

my advice, which is gonna sound snarky but honestly is with the best intentions, is to get off the internet and get on the machine - its easy and fun to theorise all day with us nerds, but my way or his way is not necessarily the best way for you (tho you'll quickly realise that what lamp is saying is a great method). you'll learn much faster, and you need to figure out your own way. you might be fine with one program, you might be fine with 4. just get on the machine, start figuring things out, and ask when you have a specific question, like the first one you asked. :mrgreen:
By MrDismal Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:36 am
To be honest with you I wouldn't worry too much about programs right now. I still don't fully know how to work programs so I avoid them.
I've been using my 2KXL for about 3 years and never really needed to use them. I just use the 4 banks. I usually have all my drum chops and percussion on bank A, sample chops on the remaining 3 banks. I've only ever ran into the issue of running out of pads a couple of times.

My suggestion would be to get the machine, learn it, then worry about the rest. I'm still in love with my XL, best piece of gear I've ever owed.
By Lampdog Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:03 am
MrDismal wrote:I still don't fully know how to work programs so I avoid them.

DRUM is a seat at the 4 person table for guest, PGM.

Go ahead and load up 4 PGMS. Each will be in a DRUM (DRUM=64pads). Each time you load a PGM it takes DRUM1 and your other PGMS get pushed one DRUM back.

Assign what DRUM/PGM to whatever track on main menu.

24 PGMS can be on the guest list (RAM) but ONLY 4 can be seated at the 4 person beatmaking table (DRUMx4).

Done and easy.

I used to have samples in DRUM1, riffs and loops in DRUM2, Keys in DRUM3 and DRUM4.