Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By JaccCetch Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:43 pm
Whats up guys!? Excited to dive into my XL (1.20, 32mb, 8 outs, FX board, CF card reader). I got a copy of the "Beat Making On the MPC 2000xl" ebook with the tutorial sounds. I loaded those on the CF card from my works Windows 10 computer, it all copied over fine. But when I try to load any of the tutorial sounds, my MPC won't let me into the folders!! I can go into the Root folder, but not into the tut folders?! I'm sure there is something I'm doing wrong being an XL noob. Could any of you helpful folks help me out, or point me to the correct thread please.

Thank You In Advance!!

Jack
By Lampdog Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:02 pm
What format is the CF Card? Win10 defaults to exfat or ntfs when a certain large
size mb is specified. MPC doesn't like those formats.

How are you trying to load? You cannot load a whole folder at once.
APS
ALL
MID
WAV
PGM
SND are all fine and should load no problem.
By Wal Martian Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:28 am
MPC500 sounds probably won't load directly across to the MPC2000xl. The xl can load .WAV files but they must be the right bit rate and sample rate. 16-bit/44.1kHz. I'm guessing the CF card file system format is the problem, you have to format it in a way the MPC can read, like Lampdog said, the format you want is FAT.
By Lampdog Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:30 pm
You can do 16 character filenames anytime you want.

Here's the difference.

Scenario 1. Format your card via computer FAT and stick to 8, why, because MPC format and FAT are actually NOT not the same but share similarities. First 8 bits are translated correctly, last 8 bits don't jive well with Akai proprietary shit, so with this if over 8 characters MPC will cut (truncate) your filenames down to 8. This will confuse your PGM, APS, ALL because names will be diff. LOTTA headaches.

Scenario 2. Format your card in MPC but then computer can't read it. But then you will be able to use 16 character filenames freely because you will strictly be mpc'ing. Throw that media into a computer and it will ask "media not formatted, do you wanna initialize/format?"

Me, I've been using a 512mb CF in my 2kxl mcd forever, originally formatted in PC, I ONLY use 8 character filenames and have never had a single problem.

There you go.