Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By HRB1221 Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:27 pm
The MPC 2000XL can have 4 Drums and 24 Programs.

Does each program have a program change number associated with it or does each DRUM has a program change number associated with it?

If each sequence can change the program number what is it changing exactly? :hmmm:
By Lampdog Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:17 pm
Program change number, means program lol.
DRUM is tied to what, a program. 4 drums in a program.
By Harmoncj Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:06 pm
programs have numbers 1-24 is not actually used for anything. you call up programs by the midi program change numbers. (i know confusing right?), press open window on program name and set the midi program change numbers and select 1-128.

think of this, you can swap your programs during a sequence, also your FX settings can be stored to the program so they change too!!
By tapedeck Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:21 pm
Lampdog wrote:4 drums in a program.

that aint exactly right now - each drum has it's own program.

it seems kind of random how the mpc assigns program change numbers, but its pretty useful to get in there and open-window it and set them uniquely yerself. this way you can use the program change field to actually load up the correct programs for you.
By HRB1221 Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:53 pm
tapedeck wrote:that aint exactly right now - each drum has it's own program.

If a program change is defined in a sequence how does the MPC know which Drum to put the new program in? It sounds like this is a core feature of the MPC and I don't have a handle on it yet. Everyone's help is appreciated.
By tapedeck Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:03 pm
HRB1221 wrote:If a program change is defined in a sequence how does the MPC know which Drum to put the new program in? It sounds like this is a core feature of the MPC and I don't have a handle on it yet. Everyone's help is appreciated.

because each track has a drum assignment as well.
so if track 1 has a drum assignment of 1, and i put program 1 in the program change field, program 1 will go into the drum 1 slot.

if track 2 is assigned to drum4, and i put a pgm change of 23 in it, program 23 will go to drum4.

very powerful feature, but also can get confusing since you can goof it up and send multiple pgm changes to the same drum assignment. also as per my previous reply, it seems kind of random how the mpc assigns program change numbers, so multiple programs might have the same number, further confusing the machine. :mrgreen:
By Lampdog Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:09 pm
tapedeck wrote:
Lampdog wrote:4 drums in a program.

that aint exactly right now - each drum has it's own program.

Wait, having a case of **** upped-ness with me this morn.

4 drums, each one tied to a single pgm. Only 4 active at a time. 24 pgms can be held in memory.

When loading/creating a new pgm it assigns itself as drum1, pushing all others back one number which confuses some people AND causes seq's to play wrong drum data.
By hitman78 Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:49 am
Lampdog wrote:Program change number, means program lol.
DRUM is tied to what, a program. 4 drums in a program.

hey man why nobody talks about the program and how it changes??? i separate my programs drums in one and sampled music in the other but however when I'm recording what ever program I'm using on track one if i go to track 2 and change to drums it also changes track 1 to the same as track 2s program sounding like a bad car wreck and I'm an experienced mpc user just never used the 2000xl or the 2500 all the others I've used and none of them does this the 4000 will let u correct that error but can't make this 2000xl stop changing programs