Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Gapswon Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:19 pm
Hi!

This is driving me nuts... I want to record the midi and and play back the sound from my korg karma in my mpc 2000xl.... should be pretty straightforward, right?

So I have <midi out B> going to midi in of the karma, then I have midi out of the karma going to <midi in 2> on the mpc. .........(<midi out A> is sending midi from the mp to sequence my Roland mc 303 and <midi in 1> is coming from my sound card to sync with logic for tracking out, both work perfectly)

I set a track to midi, play some keys... but its not playing back from the karma.... if I switch the midi track from B to A, then it will play the recorded midi, but the sound obviously comes from the mc303..... ?.... I have tried just switching the leads, but still no sound from the karma, I assume Im not setting the karma up correctly?.... the thing is I have had it working the way I want, but I can't remember what I did! and days of messing about have left me with the same results..... I know the mpc and korg triton/karma is a pretty standard set up....Any ideas??!!

thanks in advance!
By tapedeck Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:40 pm
check your channels. is the karma receiving on channel 1 and do you have the mpc track set to midi 1b?
By Gapswon Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:47 pm
Hi!

the mpc is set to 1B........ not sure about the Karma, its new to the set up, so I'm still getting my head around it.... The manuals been 'put somewhere safe'.... so I will probably never find that again! ha ha!
By Lampdog Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:41 pm
Wal Martian wrote:Karma channel must correspond to the track in the MPC.
MPC 1B - Karma Ch:01.

I'm going with this line of thought as well. Your vhannels aren't lining up correctly.

What I do. Unplug everything. Go at each gear one at a time and test with it. Once ALL good, move on the next peice to hook up, test that, once all good then move to the next peice, etc.
After that unique midi vhannels should assigned, make sure no channels are OMNI (transmitting/receiving on all channels). Get your "local" set on each gear so you don't accidentally trigger local and midi together.
By Gapswon Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:35 pm
Thanks Guys,

.... It was a brand new midi cable, turned out to be a piece of sh*t!......

really appreciate your time and effort in helping out, if it hadn't of been a new cable, I might have checked that sooner!

Thanks again!
By tapedeck Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:03 pm
let this be a lesson in 'brand new' dont mean shit. i bought a few 'brand new' things in my life that ended up to be total garbage. ever moreso these days with the amount of knockoffs / cheap shit on ebay.

glad its working.