Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By elektrasoul Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:13 pm
So, im thinking about buying an MPC 2000XL. I have just started my research and have a few questions:

1. I currently use Cubase as a sequencer, does the MPC’s sequencer work in the same sort of way?

2. In your opinion, would the MPC be a better option than Cubase for sequencing external gear?

3. I’m thinking I’d just use the MPC as I’d currently use any other sound module/sampler/drum machine (i.e. MIDI up to record into Cubase as audio), would there be a better way to use it in my setup if I don’t want to run it as the main sequencer at this time?

4. How easy is it to sample a sound, what functions do you have once the sound is in there and Is it straightforward enough to pitch a sound over various pads?

5. Are there any differences, other than the obvious, between the MPC (2000XL) and the S (3000XL)?

6. How much storage comes as standard, how many seconds of sample time do you have, what sample rate options do you have and what is the maximum amount of ram it holds?

7. Are zip drives or external hard drives only a necessity if you revert to your old samples/templates continuously?

8. Is the Internal mixer only worth worrying about if I’m replacing Cubase with this?

9. How do you create a sequence?

10. How easy is it to route sequences to the individual outs?

11. Can you resample whilst record enabled?

12. Are there any effects boards for it other than the EB16?

13. Should I RTFM? lol

I realise there are probably a lot of these questions answered elsewhere in the forum but I thought id just start my own topic.

Cheers!
By MPC-Tutor Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:35 pm
elektrasoul wrote:13. Should I RTFM? lol

For many of those questions, yes, along with looking at product specs etc from around the net . It does sound like you have actually done no research into this whatsoever, so I think you'll get more enthusiastic responses if you perhaps whittle the list down to the questions that still can't be answered after you spending 15 minutes with the manual.
By JVC Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:58 pm
Yes, read the manual! MPC-2000XL user's guide is not difficult to read
(If you want hard to read manual, try Kurzweil K2000 manual!)
I've never used Cubase (or any other DAWs), but I think they are very different.
IDE CF reader can be installed on 2000XL (but 2000 classic.)
It is far better than using Zip drive.

Akai S series (S900, S1000, S2000, etc.) are samplers, they don't have sequencer.
S series samplers have more sound shaping functions than MPC-60/3000/2000.

I personally suggest MPC1000 or MPC2500, since they have CF reader built-in, and
data transfer to PC is easier than with MPC-2000XL.

2000XL doesn't have resample function.

with 8 out option board, you can assign each pads (assigned samples), NOT sequence.

Sampling with MPC is easy. Sample sound, save it, edit it (if you need ti), then assign to pad(s).

I don't know if you want to replace Cubase with MPC. I'd think that you can use both.
By Lampdog Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:55 pm
elektrasoul wrote:So, im thinking about buying an MPC 2000XL. I have just started my research and have a few questions:

1. I currently use Cubase as a sequencer, does the MPC’s sequencer work in the same sort of way?
No.

2. In your opinion, would the MPC be a better option than Cubase for sequencing external gear?
That is something you'd have to figure out for your way of working.

3. I’m thinking I’d just use the MPC as I’d currently use any other sound module/sampler/drum machine (i.e. MIDI up to record into Cubase as audio), would there be a better way to use it in my setup if I don’t want to run it as the main sequencer at this time?
This is another one you'd have to figure out along the way while creating your own style of working.

4. How easy is it to sample a sound, what functions do you have once the sound is in there and Is it straightforward enough to pitch a sound over various pads?
Very easy.

5. Are there any differences, other than the obvious, between the MPC (2000XL) and the S (3000XL)?
A peep at both manuals will tell you the differences.

6. How much storage comes as standard, how many seconds of sample time do you have, what sample rate options do you have and what is the maximum amount of ram it holds?
This is in the manual.

7. Are zip drives or external hard drives only a necessity if you revert to your old samples/templates continuously?
Go for mcd, don't deal with zips.

8. Is the Internal mixer only worth worrying about if I’m replacing Cubase with this?
Don't replace Cubase with 2kxl. Cubase is way more powerful. Have them work together instead.

9. How do you create a sequence?
By reading the manual.

10. How easy is it to route sequences to the individual outs?
Pads to outs, not sequences.

11. Can you resample whilst record enabled?
No. And resampling in 2kxl is probably not what you think it is. No sequence playback in record mode. Record mode is ONLY record mode and nothing else runs simultaneously.

12. Are there any effects boards for it other than the EB16?
No

13. Should I RTFM? lol
Yes.

I realise there are probably a lot of these questions answered elsewhere in the forum but I thought id just start my own topic.

Cheers!